Nat Audio - giant killers?

A day in to my newly reinstalled and rebiased SE2SEs monos and Utopia pre
Gosh, NAT really is a red steak, real ale, strong cheese kind of amp
It stamps its authority on the music, providing a truly solid anchor from the lower mids down, that just grounds the music as you hear in real life
No warm fuzziness, or airy wispiness that I can hear
Then a day in, you notice how neutral the mids are, clear, transparent and intelligible, and how sparking and expressive the highs are, so the groundedness is completed by a soaring quality
Add the muscular power reserves on tap, and you have the very antithesis of the over warm tube amp or the over analytical SS amp
Decide to kick back and relax, no problem
Get fully involved, natch
Listen thru and analyse, knock y'self out
These part company w me when I part company w the world

Ha Gary!
If you like the middle of nowhere (compared to London)
You're v welcome to visit if you fancy some serious chilling out and excellent NAT inspired sounds
I realise this can easily be interpreted as hyperbole, but the only times amps have excited me this much were my experiences w Koda and Ypsilon, at 2-5 X the price, and in all honesty the NATs are better all round performers IMHO
Not by much, Koda excels at tone colour, Ypsilon at transparency, but NAT straddles the centre line best and adds tone density and heft to die for

I just got off the phone with a German dealer who carries KR, NAT, Silvercore...he said that his favorite pre was the new NAT magnetic - and he previously preferred the Magnetostat and Symmetrical to the older Magnetic. I think the older Magnetic was hybrid. I remember talking to Dejan over a year ago when he told me that I would get much more milage upgrading from the Symmetrical to Magnetic than from Magnetic to Magnetostat

He likes all the amps, he said that NAT Transmittter sweeter than Kronzilla, KR more SS like in comparison, and Silvercore in the middle. All are good so that means nothing, since NAT themselves are quite neutral. He likes both the Silvercore and NAT phonos. Would be interesting to compare NAT, Ypsilon, and Berning.

Reactions: Zappadaddy
Ha Gary!
If you like the middle of nowhere (compared to London)
You're v welcome to visit if you fancy some serious chilling out and excellent NAT inspired sounds
I realise this can easily be interpreted as hyperbole, but the only times amps have excited me this much were my experiences w Koda and Ypsilon, at 2-5 X the price, and in all honesty the NATs are better all round performers IMHO
Not by much, Koda excels at tone colour, Ypsilon at transparency, but NAT straddles the centre line best and adds tone density and heft to die for

Very kind of you Marc. I'm located on the east coast in the U.S. and unfortunately not planning a trip in the near future to your fine country, much as I might like to. I was there many years ago to attend Wimbledon back when Steffi Graaf was playing. Looking forward to seeing how Roger Federer does this year - his Australian Open final win over Rafa was amazing.

Pardon me everyone for being redundant (as I asked Marc this) but bonzo75, fair to say NAT has put all its quality control issues behind it?

I have no idea. Reaching Serbia is a problem, so if you buy NAT, make sure you have a good techie where you are that can fix things. What is the rest of your system, btw?

Oh wow you have Apogee Centaurs. Before you do anything, have you checked the restored Duetta sigs that Ruch Murry builds? Since you are in NJ, I can give you a Masspequa, Long Island contact - 1 hour from Penn Station by train that has his Duetta Sigs with Tube research labs. It is possibly the best small room system I have heard - I am a massive Apogee fan, but apogees done right, and I would definitely not recommend NATs on them. Let's take this offline since it is a NAT thread.

Make sure you visit him.

Oh wow you have Apogee Centaurs. Before you do anything, have you checked the restored Duetta sigs that Ruch Murry builds? Since you are in NJ, I can give you a Masspequa, Long Island contact - 1 hour from Penn Station by train that has his Duetta Sigs with Tube research labs. It is possibly the best small room system I have heard - I am a massive Apogee fan, but apogees done right, and I would definitely not recommend NATs on them. Let's take this offline since it is a NAT thread.

Make sure you visit him.

Wow, this is an interesting turn of events. I actually emailed Rich a week or so ago and he asked that I call him, which I may do today. However, I believe Rich is now located in Nevada, not Long Island. Interestingly, I have read from someone on Audiogon that Tube Research Labs go very well with Apogees. Having said that, I'm a bit disappointed the NAT Symmetrical won't be a great fit with the Centaur Majors. How Marc describes his NAT gear is EXACTLY the sound I'm looking for!

Wow, this is an interesting turn of events. I actually emailed Rich a week or so ago and he asked that I call him, which I may do today. However, I believe Rich is now located in Nevada, not Long Island. Interestingly, I have read from someone on Audiogon that Tube Research Labs go very well with Apogees. Having said that, I'm a bit disappointed the NAT Symmetrical won't be a great fit with the Centaur Majors. How Marc describes his NAT gear is EXACTLY the sound I'm looking for!

The guy in Long Island is Rich's client. Rich is in Nevada, yes. I have heard NAT Transmitters with Grands and Marc's NATs with full ranges biamped with Krells. I have heard Marc's but those are 101db Zus.

Look, I am a big big Apogee fan. I don't know the centaurs, but definitely Duetta Sigs up have to both show the glorious ribbon midrange as well as be ball busters with their bass panels. The magic in the Apogees is that it can achieve both. I can go on and on with you on details on what Rich recommends, what Graz recommends, and what Henk (the champion dutch restorer who owns grands and whose system I have heard as well as with his Deuttas) recommends. And you can listen for yourself in Long Island at Rich's client's.

The symmetrical is a preamp, so you will be fine with it or the magnetic, but make sure you have a good techie, else look for a local Berning or Veloce LS-1 in the US.

Is anyone here using NAT Magma New (either regular or "SE") amplifiers currently?

Is anyone here using NAT Magma New (either regular or "SE") amplifiers currently?

i had the SE for audition on my Veritys - wth the Magnetostat SE. And Jadis JA 100 at the side.

Ah, yes. Now I remember that you had them.

How are you going to get a pr of Magmas to try, Ron?
Can you import direct from Serbia on sale or return basis?
If you do, you'd better negotiate a better deal than rrp to cover costs of shipping these 150kg+ behemoths!
If you are brave enough, just prepare for something special
These apparently have all the delicacy of low power SETs w drive and heft found in powerful amps
They really do pull off this magic trick
Imagine the intimacy of smaller tubes w the grandeur of yr VTLs, the continuousness of this being a unique listening experience
That's what I surmise from Peter's words when he heard the OLD Magmas at the NATs factory
The NEW is meant to be streets ahead

Hi Gary

Wow, this is an interesting turn of events.
Having said that, I'm a bit disappointed the NAT Symmetrical won't be a great fit with the Centaur Majors. How Marc describes his NAT gear is EXACTLY the sound I'm looking for!

Beneath many other speakers, I also have a pair of Apogee Centaur Majors and for me, they are among the best and most underrated speakers ever. They very rarely show up used and they are really excellent.

I drive my pair normally with a KR Audio 350i tube amp with 30 watts per channel and those two are really a matchmin heaven. The Majors are a rather easy load with quite a good sensitivity. Even in my huge living room they are loud enough and sound heavenly at it.

You should definitely hang on to those gems!
And please, they deserve better amplification IMHO than Krell.
We compared the NAT Single to the KR 350i and all of the participants preferred the KR 350i. More dynamics and more palpable with spot on tone, while the NAT Single was a little too relaxed and too polite in comparison.

How big is your room and what music do you listen?

Btw. my good friend Brad has a NAT Plasma preamp which is pretty good sounding, once it's warm...

Guys, if Gary's Centaur Majors really are that benign a load, he really should persist w NAT
Haven't heard KR, so I can't comment, but I can vouch for NAT's other worldly ability to balance density and heft, w neutrality and airiness
If these Apogees really are that good, combination w NATs surely is worth pursuing?

You and Bonzo were kind of talking past each other because he was mostly (and incorrectly, IMHO) saying that big SETs from NAT don't work well with Apogees and you were asking about their preamps.

I don't know if your budget extends to their current, significantly more expensive, models but the Symmetrical is a good sounding preamp, rich and big boned but still with very good resolution. The word on the street though is that the Plasma was better, specifically the older Plasma before they switched to 6N30P tubes. I have one of these older Plasmas and it has 6 x PCC88 per channel! I think they are all in parallel to act like a single big triode. It is also somewhat rich, but not overly so and has dynamics that are thrilling. Transparency and imaging/soundstaging are also superb. It does need about 45 minutes of warmup time to really open up but that is not so unusual in the high end world. I doubt that there is a better preamp on the market for the price. When you look inside you see the quality: Truly dual mono with big power transformers, large caps, tube rectified and tube regulated and lots of SS regulators for those filaments. Well designed and executed I would say.

i haven't heard the latest and greatest NAT preamps but they might be killer but also the price is no longer the bargain they once were.

As for amps, if you are curious about SET amps then you should give NAT a try on your Apogees...I think it could work very well despite the advice Bonzo has given you...I know it sounds quite good in fact. Be aware though that the new SE2SE is using GM70 tubes now and not 211s. Sonically it will be different than Marc is describing.

I have heard the exact amps Marc has (2 different versions in fact) as well two different SE1s and the mighty SE3 on Apogees and other speakers. All were powerful, transparent and with holographic imaging. They were not particularly warm sounding, unlike the NAT preamps I have heard, which are all a bit warmish. I also found that they were a bit lacking in the ability to transport me emotionally...not sure if that had to do with the rest of the systems though. In addition to the NAT Plasma, which is full of emotion, BTW. I had the NAT hybrid, the Symbiosis SE. That one was a pain as it took over 2 hours to warm up properly and THEN it would sound deliriously holographic but before that it was a bit too stiff in the hips and I just could wait 2 hours every evening for it to warm up.

KR delivers really good sound on all kinds of speakers. The other one to consider is Aries Cerat. The Diana Integrated is a beast, sonically as well as physically. The new Diana Forte, at 60 watts, will drive the hell out of the Apogees for sure and is more transparent and has more dynamic slam than any of the others mentioned here. Have a look also at the Incito preamp. It is about 8.0K new and the design is very promising.

Reactions: Zappadaddy
Guys, if Gary's Centaur Majors really are that benign a load, he really should persist w NAT
Haven't heard KR, so I can't comment, but I can vouch for NAT's other worldly ability to balance density and heft, w neutrality and airiness
If these Apogees really are that good, combination w NATs surely is worth pursuing?

Yes, it will work just fine with the Centaurs. It will also sound quite good I would predict.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing