New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Actually, they need two more wins to seal it.
I know. What I meant is if they go up 3-1 they will close out the Warriors as I doubt the Warriors can overcome a 3-1 deficit

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Robert Williams the Time Lord is a big factor. Literally.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Celtics really need to win at home. They'll be hoping for a 3-1 lead by the weekend.

Ignore opposition antics, or refereeing inconsistency. Singular focus.
Ball movement and player movement, even if up by 10+.
Shots need to fall for Horford, Smart, Derrick White or Grant Williams. A combination of two or more of them would be even better.
You called it right, Jerry. I'm always breathless when Smart takes those 3s, and one actually banked in which normally is called a lucky shot. :D They key though last night was Brown, he was on attack mode from the onset. And Tatum to the rescue in the 4th with timely clutch shots. Proves that he doesn't have to score 45 points for the C's to win. They are slowly learning the ways to winning ball games. Robert Williams has been a key part of their success this year. Blocks, steals, rebounds, the game of the big men is back. And I've always liked big men in the NBA

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

This series reminds of the book we read to our kids as they were growing up....The Little Engine That Could.....This is truly the Celtics who not only believe in themselves but they are paying as if they are going to win this series.

A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill. "I can't; that is too much a pull for me", said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can", puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."

Last night the crowd got into the head of Draymond Green until he fouled out.

If Celts win tomorrow I can't see the Warriors recovering to win the next 3 games

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This series reminds of the book we read to our kids as they were growing up....The Little Engine That Could.....This is truly the Celtics who not only believe in themselves but they are paying as if they are going to win this series.

A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill. "I can't; that is too much a pull for me", said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can", puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."

Last night the crowd got into the head of Draymond Green until he fouled out.

If Celts win tomorrow I can't see the Warriors recovering to win the next 3 games
Steve, I can't rule of the Warriors as they have come back from 1-3 over the KD/Westbrook OKC. Steph and Klay scored very well last night during culminating in the 3rd period surge that saw them wipe out an 18 point lead to go ahead by 1 but the difference was Tatum and Smart countered with 'determined' clutch shots. Brown took care of the 1st quarter attack and the others contributed their share, including the C's own tough body and motor mouth Grant Williams, who I will not be surprised if he lands in a talk show or podcast of his own someday. He just tickled Kenny Smith with the statement about the Draymond situation: " I will handle it", prompting Kenny to ask him what exactly does ' handle' mean. :D Btw, CJ McCollum is now a regular 'guest' in an ESPN show. I'm not sure how active (not retired) players get to audition a spot in these talk shows really.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Celts came thru big in what I saw as a must win game last night. All the pressure on GS now.

I'll officially pledge $10 to the Phil Courtside Seat Fund. Only 58,990 to go :)

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Game 3 showed the true grit necessary over 48 mins, and better weathering the 3rd quarter storm.
There seemed to be fewer frivolous shots when up double digits.
A healthy advantage in 2nd chance points.
And finally, it appears the mentality to win is growing each game.

Having said this, it's no guarantee they win game 4.
They need even more grit for this game.
3-1; unassailable.
2-2? A tough task winning away from home late in the series.

Steve Williams

I
Game 3 showed the true grit necessary over 48 mins, and better weathering the 3rd quarter storm.
There seemed to be fewer frivolous shots when up double digits.
A healthy advantage in 2nd chance points.
And finally, it appears the mentality to win is growing each game.

Having said this, it's no guarantee they win game 4.
They need even more grit for this game.
3-1; unassailable.
2-2? A tough task winning away from home late in the series.
I totally agree

to me the Celts are playing with the grit and desire to win. To me the next game is key. The Celts must win becsuse if they do I agree they will win the title. If they don’t it becomes a best of 3, and 2 of those games are in SF…….but the Celts seem to play better on the road.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph and jadis

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I

I totally agree

to me the Celts are playing with the grit and desire to win. To me the next game is key. The Celts must win becsuse if they do I agree they will win the title. If they don’t it becomes a best of 3, and 2 of those games are in SF…….but the Celts seem to play better on the road.

I often hear quotes of 'whoever wants it more will win.'
You can't tell me one team had greater desire to win, which is why they raise the trophy.
It comes down to strategy/decision making/adjustments/execution.
For example: If they'd continued going under the screen/not stepping up, Curry would have had 40, and the lead starting the 4th quarter.
A different game.

Championship experience must be a factor to a point, but recent champions Toronto showed that's possible to counter (Kawhi aside).

Basketball at times is a selfish endeavour, and there is a fine line between a good shot and poor choice.
Jimmy Butler's series deciding three is a contentious example. Can be argued both ways.

Tatum missed some difficult shots at the rim moving at full speed in the 4th quarter, which is the epitome of finals basketball. It's hard to score, and some possessions it's hard to get a good look. Those were classy moves from him to even get to the rim.

Boston showed they can rise to the challenge, as they did after the 82-83 scoreline (removing Smart's uncalled 'bank' three).

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Jerry are you an expat living in NZ? How did you get to be a basketball fan
NZ born of Scottish/Irish descent.

I'm not a basketball fan; more a fanatic. Have a love of the sport nearing 50 years, playing 25 years (before 3rd knee injury) and coaching over 40 years. My NBA love grew once access was available. We had a weekly fix starting around 1990 with NBA Action arriving in NZ, plus a featured game. So that's only been 30+ years.

And very much agree.
Game 4 Boston has an opportunity to put their foot on the Warrior's throat.
Giving home court back to Golden State would make it a difficult climb to the championship.
Possible, but difficult.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
NZ born of Scottish/Irish decent.

I'm not a basketball fan; more a fanatic. Have a love of the sport nearing 50 years, playing 25 years (before 3rd knee injury) and coaching over 40 years. My NBA love grew once access was available. We had a weekly fix starting around 1990 with NBA Action arriving in NZ, plus a featured game. So that's only been 30+ years.

And very much agree.
Giving home court back to Golden State would make it a difficult climb to the championship.
Possible, but difficult.
Nice to see you here, Jerry. And a coach too ! Great to have your insights which are spot on. Turnovers are key to Celtics' wins. One analyst called it nervousness, on the part of the first time finalists. If they get to shake it down, focus, stay aggressive, they have a chance of winning. There are still 4 games left, anything can happen. 3-1 is still a lot better than 2-2 . :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Celts came thru big in what I saw as a must win game last night. All the pressure on GS now.

I'll officially pledge $10 to the Phil Courtside Seat Fund. Only 58,990 to go :)
Thanks for the nice gesture , Bob. :) Boston Garden courtside tickets are only $10,000 though. :D And I read that is already a historic high for the Boston area, never known to splurge that much even in players' salaries. But truth to be told, as I mentioned previously, I cannot stand the roller coaster rides of 4 quarters anymore. I just need the final score, and if the C's lose, I don't even bother watching the recaps, replays or talk shows. :D I cannot imagine myself in like a Game 7 at the TD Garden, even in the rafters. LOL That's why 6 years ago, I made the trip to Boston to watch 2 'pre-season' games. No tension, cheap ticket prices. My courtside ticket was only $200, probably the cost of a chilidog sandwich at the Chase Center these days. :D

Reactions: Steve Williams

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I often hear quotes of 'whoever wants it more will win.'
You can't tell me one team had greater desire to win, which is why they raise the trophy.
It comes down to strategy/decision making/adjustments/execution.
For example: If they'd continued going under the screen/not stepping up, Curry would have had 40, and the lead starting the 4th quarter.
A different game.

Championship experience must be a factor to a point, but recent champions Toronto showed that's possible to counter (Kawhi aside).

Basketball at times is a selfish endeavour, and there is a fine line between a good shot and poor choice.
Jimmy Butler's series deciding three is a contentious example. Can be argued both ways.

Tatum missed some difficult shots at the rim moving at full speed in the 4th quarter, which is the epitome of finals basketball. It's hard to score, and some possessions it's hard to get a good look. Those were classy moves from him to even get to the rim.

Boston showed they can rise to the challenge, as they did after the 82-83 scoreline (removing Smart's uncalled 'bank' three).
Excellent analysis :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
NZ born of Scottish/Irish descent.

And very much agree.
Possible, but difficult.
Ok, that clears your great posting above :p

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Ok, that clears your great posting above :p
Jerry we welcome your insight.

FWIW I loved visiting your country a few years ago. One of the most beautiful places I have ever visited,. We were there almost 3 weeks and toured north and south islands.

Steve Williams

Nothing is falling in the first half for the Warriors. The defense by the Celtics is absolutely smothering. The Celtics are playing as if they are champions. At the end of first half Celtics 54 Warriors 49

Steve Williams

Whst a different second half as whatever the warriors threw at the Celts, Boston just kept coming.
Then in the 4th Steph takes over and the Warriors steal the win and regain home court advantage

Final Warriors 107-97

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing