New Atlas Lambda

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Lyra did in jenuary the new Lambda serie.
There is Etna and Etna SL Lambda and Atlas and Atlas sl Lambda.

Italian distributor received the first Atlas SL Lambda,purple color instead green and sold to one Italian reporter with big passion for cartridges and Lyra and already has Titan,Etna and Etna sl,Atlas and Atlas sl and Olimpos.

After break in he will test Atlas sl Lambda with Atlas sl and will report to distributor and to me

I will post his test

Attachments

• IMG_9929.jpg
    IMG_9929.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: RickS

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm curious to know what differences in sound. I've owned 4 Lyra's and a Atlas SL Lamda maybe my 5th..

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Just got my Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, I will report!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Looks like prior Etna, Etna SL, Atlas and Atlas SL are replaced by LAMDA versions. Suspension changes, etc. described below in quote from Lyra. I"m not recalling whether or not prior versions had 'diamond coated boron cantilver."

http://lyraanalog.com/atlas.html

For Lyra’s post-2008 New Angle models (Delos, Kleos, Etna, Atlas) we developed tapered dampers to pre-load the cantilever downwards when it is in the rest position, so that the application of vertical tracking force (VTF) will bring the coil angle into alignment with the magnets when the cartridge is in the playing position. Our continued research into dampers and suspension systems has now led to the next level up - Lambda.

Lambda separates the tapered dampers of the New Angle cartridges into flat elastomer discs (for damping) and an additional support “pillow” to serve as the cantilever pre-loading element. This division allows the use of more specialized materials that are better suited to their individual tasks.

The Lambda Atlas and Etna thereby continue the New Angle benefits (coil and magnet angles become aligned when the cartridge is in the playing position), but stability and sonic performance are significantly improved.

The Lambda improvements apply to both the single coil layer models (Atlas SL, Etna SL) and the standard double coil layer models (Atlas, Etna). Likewise for the Atlas Mono and Etna Mono models."

Specifications for Lyra Atlas ? Lambda
  • Designer: Jonathan Carr
  • Builder: Yoshinori Mishima
  • Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance moving coil cartridge
  • Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (block dimensions 0.08w x 0.12d x 0.5h mm, profile dimensions 3um x 70um), slot-mounted
  • Cantilever system: Diamond-coated solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body via high-pressure knife-edge system
  • Coils: 2-layer deep, 6N high-purity copper, cross-shaped chemically-purified high-purity iron former, 4.2ohm self-impedance, 11uH inductance
  • Output voltage: 0.56mV@5cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
  • Frequency range: 10Hz ~ 50kHz
  • Channel separation: 35dB or better at 1kHz
  • Compliance: Approx. 12 x 10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz
  • Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
  • Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid titanium billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, predominately non-parallel and asymmetrical shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws
  • Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
  • Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5mm
  • Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 11.6g
  • Recommended tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.75g (1.72g recommended)
  • Recommended load directly into MC phono input: 104ohm ~ 887ohm (determine by listening, or follow detailed guidelines in user manual)
  • Recommended load via step-up transformer: 5 ~ 15ohm (step-up transformer’s output must be connected to 10kohm ~ 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable)
  • Recommended tonearms: High-quality pivoted or linear (tangential) tonearms with rigid bearing(s), adjustable anti-skating force, preferably VTA adjustment

Specifications for Lyra Atlas ? Lambda SL
  • Designer: Jonathan Carr
  • Builder: Yoshinori Mishima
  • Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance moving coil cartridge
  • Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3?m× 70?m), slot-mounted
  • Cantilever system: Diamond-coated solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body via high pressure knife-edge system
  • Coils: single layer, 6 N high-purity copper, chemically-purified high-purity iron cross-shaped former, 1.52 ohm self-impedance, 1.9?H inductance
  • Output voltage: 0.25mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
  • Frequency range: 10 Hz?50 kHz
  • Channel separation: 35 dB or better at 1 kHz
  • Compliance: Approx. 12× 10 cm/dyne at 100 Hz
  • Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
  • Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid titanium billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, predominately non-parallel and asymmetrical shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws
  • Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6 mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
  • Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 11.6 g
  • Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5 mm
  • Recommended tracking force: 1.65?1.75 g (1.72 g recommended)
  • Recommended load directly into MC phono input: Determine by listeing
  • Recommended load via step-up transformer: 1?10 ohm (connect step-up transformer’s output to 10kohm?47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low capacitance cable)
  • Recommended tonearm: High-quality pivoted or linear (tangential) tonearm with rigid bearing(s), adjustable anti-skating force, preferably VTA adjustment

Reactions: CKKeung

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hope Jonathan can chime in with his design goals. I am interested as I am an Atlas and Atlas SL owner :)

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Damn, I was behind enough already with the Atlas and Etna SL.... inadequacy percolates again ............

Reactions: Lagonda

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Any news in the last 4 weeks?
(If not, you could please tell about your favorite tonearms for a Atlas/Atlas SL in the old or new Lambda version.)
Thanks a lot, from an Atlas user in Kuzma 4Point.

SteveD

Oct 5, 2012
Idaho
OK, let's get the ball rolling.

Warning...I'm a Lyra dealer and no writer.

Been living with the Lambda versions of the Atlas SL and Etna SL for the last four weeks or so. Lived with the older Lyras, both single and dual layer for years. We did relisten to the original Atlas SL and Etna SL for this test. My main cartridge for the last several years has been the Etna SL into a CH Precision P1 using the current gain section with a 20dB gain setting. Tonearms used were the Schröder LT(pivoted linear tracker) and a 9" SAT. Turntable...The Beat SE of course:) Had others here for their opinions as well. It has been a lot of fun. And educational.

Bottom line, in my rig, the Lambda versions easily eclipse the originals. In every aspect. No trade-offs. Everyone who participated in these games agreed. Differences of opinion occured when we discussed what was the biggest improvement. That doesn't happen often with this group. From what little intel there was on these carts in the beginning, I did not expect much change. I was wrong. The first improvement noticed, was the drastically reduced noise floor. This allows the lower level information/details to become more solid and present. Not louder, just more defined and "there" if that makes sense.

There is a new level of purity in the sound with the Lambda versions. All commented on this as a very impressive. For some, this was their favorite change.

Bass solidarity has increased, as has three dimensionality and mutli-tonality. Bass lines are more prominent and easier to follow. Leading edge attack is faster, harder hitting. Piano music is where I hear the most change. Texture on the lower notes is more pronounced. The body of the piano really comes into play. Decay is so easy to hear it almost became a game for the group to notice how it changed on different tracks.

The next one is a biggie for me. The music, especially vocals, carries more emotion. One of my friends commented on how he could hear the singer thinking about how he would phrase the next line while singing the previous line. Don't know if that makes any sense here but being there, I knew exactly what he meant. The emotion conveyed by these new carts are significantly improved.

Dynamics are quicker and more free flowing. There is an increased sense of ease now.

Top to bottom balance is excellent. This is an area I payed particular attention to after I had a grasp on the new overall sound I was hearing. Yes, the foundation of the music has improved but everything else has risen to the occasion as well.

I have heard a lot of high end carts in my system. Not all but many. I'm very fortunate to have friends, colleagues, customers and importers lend me some of their best gear. I buy some too. I travel all over the country and some abroad for turntable/tonearm setups. That allows me to hear a lot of outstanding systems. For me, the original Etna SL was as good or better than anything I've heard until now. So my reference was a worthy one. For me. the Etna SL Lambda is the best cartridge I've heard, here or anywhere else.

Anyone that wants to bring their favorite generator for comparisons are more than welcome.

392AD6B5-AFC4-4A95-8910-42761073A05A_1_201_a.jpeg

One listener said it best, "I thought we had explored the limits of vinyl but...clearly not"

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thank you !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Been living with the Lambda versions of the Atlas SL and Etna SL for the last four weeks or so. Lived with the older Lyras, both single and dual layer for years. We did relisten to the original Atlas SL and Etna SL for this test. My main cartridge for the last several years has been the Etna SL into a CH Precision P1 using the current gain section with a 20dB gain setting. Tonearms used were the Schröder LT(pivoted linear tracker) and a 9" SAT. Turntable...The Beat SE of course:) Had others here for their opinions as well. It has been a lot of fun. And educational.

Bottom line, in my rig, the Lambda versions easily eclipse the originals. In every aspect. No trade-offs. Everyone who participated in these games agreed. Differences of opinion occured when we discussed what was the biggest improvement. That doesn't happen often with this group. From what little intel there was on these carts in the beginning, I did not expect much change. I was wrong. The first improvement noticed, was the drastically reduced noise floor. This allows the lower level information/details to become more solid and present. Not louder, just more defined and "there" if that makes sense.

There is a new level of purity in the sound with the Lambda versions. All commented on this as a very impressive. For some, this was their favorite change.

Bass solidarity has increased, as has three dimensionality and mutli-tonality. Bass lines are more prominent and easier to follow. Leading edge attack is faster, harder hitting. Piano music is where I hear the most change. Texture on the lower notes is more pronounced. The body of the piano really comes into play. Decay is so easy to hear it almost became a game for the group to notice how it changed on different tracks.

The next one is a biggie for me. The music, especially vocals, carries more emotion. One of my friends commented on how he could hear the singer thinking about how he would phrase the next line while singing the previous line. Don't know if that makes any sense here but being there, I knew exactly what he meant. The emotion conveyed by these new carts are significantly improved.

Dynamics are quicker and more free flowing. There is an increased sense of ease now.

Top to bottom balance is excellent. This is an area I payed particular attention to after I had a grasp on the new overall sound I was hearing. Yes, the foundation of the music has improved but everything else has risen to the occasion as well.

I have heard a lot of high end carts in my system. Not all but many. I'm very fortunate to have friends, colleagues, customers and importers lend me some of their best gear. I buy some too. I travel all over the country and some abroad for turntable/tonearm setups. That allows me to hear a lot of outstanding systems. For me, the original Etna SL was as good or better than anything I've heard until now. So my reference was a worthy one. For me. the Etna SL Lambda is the best cartridge I've heard, here or anywhere else.

Anyone that wants to bring their favorite generator for comparisons are more than welcome.

View attachment 61990

One listener said it best, "I thought we had explored the limits of vinyl but...clearly not"
Interesting. Just to be sure your impression above is on Etna SL Lambda or Atlas SL Lambda?

Kind regards,
Tang

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Steve, do you like the Etna SL over the Atlas SL, resp. the Etna SL Lambda over the Atlas SL Lambda? What are for you the main differences?
Which Schröder LT do you use? Which length, which wood?

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein

View attachment 61990

View attachment 61990

I fully agree. After around 25 hours my Atlas Lamda SL is still opening up, but 3D imaging, decay, bass slam, precision and stage are already superb, never heard anything like it.

Reactions: christoph

SteveD

Oct 5, 2012
Idaho
Interesting. Just to be sure your impression above is on Etna SL Lambda or Atlas SL Lambda?

Kind regards,
Tang

Yeah Tang, I wasn't very clear was I...I'll try again.

The Atlas SL Lambda is a solid, top to bottom improvement over the original Atlas SL.
The Etna SL Lambda is an even bigger top to bottom improvement over the original Etna SL.
These improvements/changes I discussed in my earlier post are essentially the same for both Atlas and Etna. Since both had different starting points, they ended up at different finishing lines. Different amounts of same changes here and there.

They definitely give a different presentation from one another. At the same time, they both have the same family sound. The Etna, in my rig, offers more finesse when asked than the Atlas. I also think it has a more balanced sound but not by a lot. The original Atlas had an iron fist grip of every note and more slam to it than the Etna. The new Lambda Atlas SL still has all that but now it also has a better balance from top to bottom than the original. As well as everything I wrote earlier. The new Etna now has more slam and speed than the original so it seems to have more force behind the notes when called for. It still delivers finesse when called for. I love it.

I could easily see where some systems/ears/rooms/music would prefer the Atlas. Either SL or standard over an Etna. Frankly, one could not go wrong with either. It's the royal blue vs Nardo Grey debate. All personal taste. No right or wrong really. Make no mistake, if you have the proper phonostage, either of these SL Lambda carts are incredibly good...if your phonostage is up to the challenge. If your phonostage is even remotely in doubt, go with the higher output versions.

I mentioned before, the new Lambda carts have a "more pure" sound. I bet the new suspension helps keep the stylus in contact with the grooves better than the old suspension. Make sense to me.

Anxiously awaiting the standard Etna for a test.

SteveD

Oct 5, 2012
Idaho
Steve, do you like the Etna SL over the Atlas SL, resp. the Etna SL Lambda over the Atlas SL Lambda? What are for you the main differences?
Which Schröder LT do you use? Which length, which wood?

My preference, in MY rig, is the Lambda Etna SL over any cart I've ever heard. Didn't matter if it was in the SAT or LT arm. My listening group concurs. I tried to give some of the reasons why in my response to Tang.

I encourage anyone considering these carts to listen to them. My room is always available.

There seems to be some confusion on the Schröder LT. I'll try to be brief and hope it doesn't sound like a sales pitch. I only want to get some facts out there.

I commissioned Frank to design "the best tonearm he could imagine" about 12 years ago. I paid him a big chunk of change to do so, He had carte blanche except I wanted no external parts like air pumps and hoses. If he had insisted, I would have went there but so glad we did not. Originally this arm was to be my arm. After Frank and his better half Barbara heard it, Frank wanted it as well.

The Schröder LT's I build are all the same and have been for years. There is only one length. The linear tracking geometry demands one precise arm length. Pivot to spindle length is 276mm. The standard armwand is a ceramic coated magnesium. I will build an original wood version if asked. Effective mass is virtually the same with either material.

The first prototype I received from Frank was the best arm I or any of my friends had ever heard. But I knew it could be developed further. I looked at every part. Found even better bearings for example. Tried many other ideas and most went nowhere. Tested pretty much every type of lightweight metal plus stainless for the armwand but all except Mg had sonic and usability trade-offs. The LT arms I build use forged(no cast materials) magnesium for the armwand. The reason I don't use any wood wands is the Mg just sounds better in EVERY parameter. Especially dynamics. I've had many users live with both and the Mg has zero tradeoffs, only pluses. Use of magnesium demanded other internal changes as well and those were tested and fine tuned over about 18 months. I would have been very happy if the wood armwands had won out. Would have been simpler for me. But that wasn't the case.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Hoping this will help you understand the LT and its history.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hmmm. I have both Atlas SL and Etna SL.

Worthwhile getting both rebuilt or wait until they absolutely need to be rebuilt - that is close to worn out.

I hope the Atlas does not lose any of its amazing speed and attack in the new model.

I wonder how the non SL versions fare with the Lamda upgrade?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Friends of mine are using Etna and Etna SL.
They are eager to know if their cartridges can be sent to Japan for upgrade to Lambda version, and how much.
:)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Friends of mine are using Etna and Etna SL.
They are eager to know if their cartridges can be sent to Japan for upgrade to Lambda version, and how much.
:)

I have been told by my distributor that the Lambda rebuild will cost the same amount as previous Etna or Atlas rebuilds.
All new SL and standard Etna and Atlas will be built to Lambda specs.

Reactions: CKKeung

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have been told by my distributor that the Lambda rebuild will cost the same amount as previous Etna or Atlas rebuilds.
All new SL and standard Etna and Atlas will be built to Lambda specs.
How much is that Shane?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing