New convert to CH Precision - advice needed

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you Marty! Yes, I realize tubes vs. SS has been explored many times before...if perhaps not resolved ;-).
I didn't mean to stir the thread in this direction, but more to share and learn about the CH remarkable qualities with and from other users.
Fun it is!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What a fun thread! It is however, a conversation that as Mike said, has been covered previously many times and in many ways . But Stephe, your question has never been answered to anyone's satisfaction (as far as I can tell)! You are asking for the sonic holy grail which remains elusive for most of us. I know that many of us would answer your last question in one word "tubes"! I'm reminded of the great line by Dave Wilson who famously said "you need a tube in there somewhere!". Dave's preferred system in its last iteration comprised a VTL 7.5 II preamp and a D'Agostino Amps (which he alternated with VTL Siegfrieds at times). My sense is that he was looking for exactly what you are seeking because he was not satisfied completely with either a full SS or tube based system. I'm sympathetic to that view and several years ago moved from an all-tube based system (w Siegfrieds) to a hybrid system. I have long deeply coveted the M1 amps but budget constraints have intervened. I therefore use Soulution 511 monoblocs with a VTL 7.5 III preamp and find that they satisfy a "best of both sonic worlds" about as much as I can hope for presently. I wish you every success in uncovering the magic elixir using all CH Precision components. I'll certainly look forward to learning the results of your quest.

Hi Marty, in the last HK show my buddy from another company (who just set up a different cart on my SAT last night), told me that he really liked the CH A1.5s driving the Alexx.

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
A quick update: on the advice of R. Gregory and of another forum member (bless their generously shared audio wisdom), I inserted HRS Nimbus feet/couplers under the C1 and the two A1. WOW. Profound, meaningful upgrade: space, separation, resolution, detail retrieval ... but also just as, if not more importantly, naturalness, believability and "weight" of timbres are very, very significantly enhanced. The difference is NOT subtle.
These should be considered mandatory (or, better, built in manufacturer feet, wink to the CH team!) with the CH electronics, as it truly reveals yet another layer of their formidable qualities. Thank you!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A quick update: on the advice of R. Gregory and of another forum member (bless their generously shared audio wisdom), I inserted HRS Nimbus feet/couplers under the C1 and the two A1. WOW. Profound, meaningful upgrade: space, separation, resolution, detail retrieval ... but also just as, if not more importantly, naturalness, believability and "weight" of timbres are very, very significantly enhanced. The difference is NOT subtle.
These should be considered mandatory (or, better, built in manufacturer feet, wink to the CH team!) with the CH electronics, as it truly reveals yet another layer of their formidable qualities. Thank you!

Fantastic and great to hear!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys building a CH rig is one option that i still have in mind starting with C1+X1+ one M1, later on add L1 or T1.
My other option is Aries Cerat pre-power paired with Totaldac Twelve mk2.
It will be a difficult choice as i like both rigs.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Hi Derek,
Good to hear you tried hrs nimbus with CH.
I have been using nimbus with my CH gear as well. Chris

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Just to stir the pot up and make it overflow CH has a upgrade for the M1 amplifier that uses all new Red Caps in the power supply that changes EVERYTHING. This no brainier update, is only the cost of the price difference between the M1 and M1.1- 3000 here in the US, which includes the complete process done in YOUR home is totally mind blowing. It is like getting a new amp.
I too was a tube lover and owner for my entire audio life starting with ARC Ref 75 which I know Fred Flintstone owned LOL and the CH is the first SS amp I can listen to everyday for hours and hours and still want to listen more.
I chose it to drive the speakers I import and I loved it so much I became their dealer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Elliot, send a CH tech my way please :D

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
LOL I can only help in the USA. Call the factory and see what they have put together

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Hi folks - after much consideration and significant angst at the thought of seeing them go, I decided to put my CH Precision system for sale: D1, C1 and 2x A1. I couldn't follow on the CH upgrade path and am downsizing. Let me know if you're interested, thanks!

TommyC

May 28, 2014
Hi folks - after much consideration and significant angst at the thought of seeing them go, I decided to put my CH Precision system for sale: D1, C1 and 2x A1. I couldn't follow on the CH upgrade path and am downsizing. Let me know if you're interested, thanks!

What happened? It's only been 3 month since you got them? Are you downsizing to the I1?

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
The CH are by a long shot among the absolute best electronics I heard and owned. They provide thrills.
But as true high performance components, I realized they are too much of a commitment for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The CH are by a long shot among the absolute best electronics I heard and owned. They provide thrills.
But as true high performance components, I realized they are too much of a commitment for me.
I felt the same way and the best part is they sound like that every single day. I don't have to do anything but listen. I personally grew tired of all the tube stuff and just want to use my time in the best way. Listening not fussing.

Reactions: CKKeung

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen my CH amp since 4 years and every day i am wondering how they sound great.
2 of my friends bought CH under my suggestion,after trial at home,and every time we meet or talk by phone they always thanks me

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Couple L1 questions for the experienced:

1) is there any way to access shortcuts via the remote? I'd love to be able to toggle Mono on/off

2) while switching inputs (e.g. with the remote) is instantaneous, a second later there is a slight one-time dropout of the signal. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance...

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Couple L1 questions for the experienced:

1) is there any way to access shortcuts via the remote? I'd love to be able to toggle Mono on/off

2) while switching inputs (e.g. with the remote) is instantaneous, a second later there is a slight one-time dropout of the signal. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance...

Hello Ian, seems like to actually have the L1 now, or are trying it out? If so, are you also using X1 with with it? Please share your impressions on how it compares with your Dart as I have never seen this comparison done before so would be extremely valuable? Many thanks and enjoy the L1. Cheers

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hello Ian, seems like to actually have the L1 now, or are trying it out? If so, are you also using X1 with with it? Please share your impressions on how it compares with your Dart as I have never seen this comparison done before so would be extremely valuable? Many thanks and enjoy the L1. Cheers

I have one now. I’m feeding it with my X1 (which normally would feed my P1).

Like you, I have never seen comparisons between Dartzeel and CH Precision. I’ve seen the question asked here but never a response. Maybe it’s some unspoken rule that two different brands of preamps made in Switzerland that support BNC cannot be publicly compared. Assuming that some big scary men don’t show up at my door at me saying this I might be the first...

While I am forming impressions this L1 is only on its 3rd day and therefore still breaking in so I will keep mum for the time being. Obviously they’re both very good preamps...

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Looking forward to your impressions. The 2 companies also know each other very well. Michael Fremer did a video of his visit to CHP and Herve was also there in the background. Suspect they have great respect for each other and target different sound signatures for their products.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well I can say that the sound signature between the two brands is closer than any other preamp that I’ve heard (I’ve been auditioning a few lately...)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing