New Repro cards!

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for your feedback Leif; I am certainly pleased but not surprised in your results.

Just to clarify as to the available outputs from our A80 (RC) repro cards:

(1) Standard A80 RC XLR outputs: Full A80 functionality, supports both input source and repro outputs, VU meters and full bridge capabilities (pots, switching, etc.); transformerless, and substantially better than the original by a wide margin but still represents the lowest level of audio quality available from our repro card;

(2) Front Panel balanced Repro outputs via XLR breakout cable: transformerless, the best Repro balanced output solution that takes our single-ended EQ stage output ONLY through a TI DRV134 precision balanced driver for outstanding common mode hum and noise rejection driving long cables; fully independent and isolated from the standard A80 XLR outputs;

(3) Front Panel single-ended Repro output: RCA connector output via breakout cable; this is the ultimate purist solution direct and unbuffered from our discrete class A EQ stage output; the best choice for high quality cable lengths short enough in use in your particular environment that RFI and hum/noise pickup are not a problem. The technical measurements are even better, and the improvements in resolving the lowest level information in a really excellent system are not at all subtle - please try it and give us your feedback.

As to our A80(RC) record card: I predict this card will make as shocking difference in record as our repro card in replay; it features a Group Delay equalizer for exceptional time domain response, along with a sophisticated 2-stage B-H tape characteristic linearizer that also employs straightforward and easy setup characteristic matching your tape of choice for extended low distortion dynamic range. It shall utilize the same direct coupled discrete Class operational amplifier stages as used in our A80 repro boards. (The overall approach has been evaluated and largely verified as to performance on a highly-modified Stellamaster.)

Our only real concern is whether enough demand exists for such a Record card at this time, and at what price; this will drive development, and pricing, and ultimately availability.

Charles and I would be very happy to hear expressions of interest from A80RC owners.

Currently, we are finishing up development on our A810/A820 repro boards, based on the same DC coupled discrete class A circuitry as used in our A80 card, and which shall include a replacement direct coupled discrete class A headblock preamp along with actual Repro card.

regards,
Jeff

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for your feedback Leif; I am certainly pleased but not surprised in your results.

(1) Standard A80 RC XLR outputs: Full A80 functionality, supports both input source and repro outputs, VU meters and full bridge capabilities (pots, switching, etc.); transformerless, and substantially better than the original by a wide margin but still represents the lowest level of audio quality available from our repro card;

(2) Front Panel balanced Repro outputs via XLR breakout cable: transformerless, the best Repro balanced output solution that takes our single-ended EQ stage output ONLY through a TI DRV134 precision balanced driver for outstanding common mode hum and noise rejection driving long cables; fully independent and isolated from the standard A80 XLR outputs;

(3) Front Panel single-ended Repro output: RCA connector output via breakout cable; this is the ultimate purist solution direct and unbuffered from our discrete class A EQ stage output; the best choice for high quality cable lengths short enough in use in your particular environment that RFI and hum/noise pickup are not a problem. The technical measurements are even better, and the improvements in resolving the lowest level information in a really excellent system are not at all subtle - please try it and give us your feedback.

As to our A80(RC) record card: I predict this card will make as shocking difference in record as our repro card in replay; it features a Group Delay equalizer for exceptional time domain response, along with a sophisticated 2-stage B-H tape characteristic linearizer that also employs straightforward and easy setup characteristic matching your tape of choice for extended low distortion dynamic range. It shall utilize the same direct coupled discrete Class operational amplifier stages as used in our A80 repro boards. (The overall approach has been evaluated and largely verified as to performance on a highly-modified Stellamaster.)

Our only real concern is whether enough demand exists for such a Record card at this time, and at what price; this will drive development, and pricing, and ultimately availability.

Charles and I would be very happy to hear expressions of interest from A80RC owners.

Currently, we are finishing up development on our A810/A820 repro boards, based on the same DC coupled discrete class A circuitry as used in our A80 card, and which shall include a replacement direct coupled discrete class A headblock preamp along with actual Repro card.

regards,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have a 812 - presumably the new card you are “finishing up development on” will also be suitable for my machine?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

regards,
Jeff
will do
so A80 owners; put your money where your mouth is..... ;)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
THANKS Jeff for the clarification to my clarification. Since I don't "think" balanced configurations, I forgot that our card does provide the balanced output to the meter bridge so you can get an output from the "stock" XLR's on the back of the A80 (including its added distortion).

Leif - please let us know should/if you can use the UNBALANCED (RCA) output and what you "hear". Damn - we've provided TOO MANY connection possibilities.

Now let me express MY OWN view of where we are currently going. First of all, if we don't sell enough of our first effort A80 repro cards to at least begin to recoup our own out-of-pocket expenses, there WON'T BE any followup products.
-
From all of your feedback, Our next product should be a similar card(s) for the A8XX decks. We want to make that effort as much plug-n-play as we can. However, as stated before, there is NOT ENOUGH REAL ESTATE on the currrent Repro card (it really shouldn't be called that - it is really an EQ card - used in conjunction with the preamp board in the headblock) to fit a full preamp on. SO there HAS to be two boards - a preamp probably in the headblock, and an EQ card fitting where the current card is. Unfortunately, to fit everything needed on the preamp card means we will have to go to surface-mount construction. To make this doable would require a whole new expenditure for a LOT of boards to make the per-unit cost reasonable. And even if we could make the EQ board plug-n-play, the headblock has to be rewired to fit new preamp boards. Who does this - US??

Then there is a call for and a desire to make a compatible record card for the A80. What you could end up with is conceivably the best sounding reproducer ever - BUT with such a limited demand that we'd never break even?.

And other cards for other recorders????

I used to be retired.....

Charles

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
tried the unbal direct out now....
whow!
calmer, richer, more controlled.....Rubinstein moved a couple of steps more into the room....
really even more natural flow in the piano sounds......
"refined" is the word I was looking for

Last edited:

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Leif:
I would be interested in getting your feedback on some of the better Tape Project 15 ips tapes, in particular the Arnold Overtures, Suite Espanola, and the Bill Evans; you may be very positively surprised by all the new resolution and sound you hear......

Rgds
jeff

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
will do
so A80 owners; put your money where your mouth is..... ;)
Thanks Leif.... more owners should step up. This has been a learning experience for me. I could have saved all the money I spent on outboard! I'm definitely wanting to go full tilt boogie with the Record cards as well.....

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Leif.... more owners should step up. This has been a learning experience for me. I could have saved all the money I spent on outboard! I'm definitely wanting to go full tilt boogie with the Record cards as well.....

Bruce - how would you rate these new boards versus your various outboard preamps?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Duke Ellington, Blues in Orbit on now.......
se direct out , unbuffered
fantastic! more details and nuances of the venue and easier to separate the instruments
the lowend is to die for!....my dual JBL2220B frontloaded midbasshorns and the 21" Eighteensound sub horn really swings, full of details and drive
I thought my A80RC was good, but this is a big leap forward

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for the feedback Leif. It looks like you are having a lot of fun!

Yes, it can be a quite a shock as to how much more musical information is suddenly revealed on very many of these great old recordings with a properly engineered and executed all-out assault on Studer A80 reproduction: it is often like re-discovering recordings you thought you knew intimately for the very first time.

As you have experienced, the improvement heard with the NextGen Front Panel unbalanced output is not at all subtle on a top-notch system, particularly in areas of low-level information resolution, musical flow, air around and spatial separation of instruments and voices, harmonics, and dynamics.

The A80RC precision guidance transport, well-maintained and operating properly, turns out to be quite exceptional with very good distribution and control of close-in FM sidelobes, in addition to its low indicated DIN-weighted wow and flutter; all it ever needed was the proper audio electronics to come fully alive.

regards,
jeff

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thxs Jeff
I also have an A810VU with Mastertapesoundlab cards and 2 other A80RC fully refurbed...one used for dubbing......
was told Telefunken M15 with discreet audio cards was a contender too, so I got one, but it´s not in the same league as the A80
the M15 is a more crude transport and sounds more vintage/tube like
the A810 also sounds excellent, but I suspect the mechanics of the A80 and the anchoring of all moving parts is part of the "solid sound" secret
hope your A80 record card will "materialise"
I´m on the "full Boogie list" with Bruce :D
best
Leif

Reactions: Bruce B
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Janos Starker: Bach: suites for unaccompanied cello
the tone is insane.....very vibrant and rich, but still extremely clean

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Video: Janos Starker on the Studer A80 with the repro cards

Reactions: Bruce B
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
dubbing from se direct out/unbuffered driving balanced input on A80RC MTSL
the improved repro shines through .....fantastic
I´ve gotten a whole new tape collection...thxs guys.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing