New Repro cards!

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
THD vs Fluxivity NextGen Cards 8-19-22_reduced.jpg
Some exciting results on our NEW NextGen A80R/C Record Card, paired with our NextGen A80R/C Repro card:

What you see is the Total Harmonic (not just 3rd Harmonic) Distortion off the 1/4" tape at midband (1Khz) recorded at 15ips CCIR for several widely used/common tapes at levels from 350nWb/m up to +13.8 dB above 350nWb/.

What is notable is how well our linearizer works to extend low-distortion dynamic range and SNR - not just for supertapes like SM900, but even for Maxell UDXL:

All three tapes acheive from 77dB to nearly 80 dB A-wtd SNR at 3% THD - a great acheivement - but to fully grasp the full benefits of our Two-stage linearizer check out the distortion (THD) benfits as well; the combination of high SNR AND low distortion are most strikinng for SM900:

First, look at that radically reduced THD at 350nWb/m: 0.04%!
Second: SM900 tape is specified as 3% THD at 14 dB over 320 nWb/m (or +13 dB re 350nWb/m) - using the very same Studer record and repro head specifications - but NOTE that we acheive less than 1% THD at that same level! That is, less than 1/3 the tape manufacturer's specified 3rd order distortion.

We also acheive +3.6 dB better SNR ( 79.6 versus 76 dB A-wtd) than spec'ed by the tape manufacturer.

Notice how the second stage kicks in and reduces distortion from +9.5 dB above 350nW/m through 12.8 dB! In fact we provide 1/3 the THD levels than specied by the manufacturer of SM900 at all levels up to A-wtd SNR ratios of 78dB - that is + 2dB SNR above the manufacturer specified 76 dB A-wtd SNR for 3% 3rd Harmonic distortion.

2dB better A-wtd SNR at 1/3 the distortion than the manufacturer's specs.

All discrete Class A DC coupled electronics from SE input through Record Head, Group Delay Equalizer for near-perfect time domain response, 2-stage B-H linearizer for greatly extended low distortion dynamic range and SNR.

First an all-out assault on analog Tape Repro electronics; now an even more radical assault on Record Electronics.

If your machine does not perfrom like this - and it almost certainly can not - you need to check out our new NextGen A80R/C record electronics as well as the A80R/C repro electronics.

I mentioned in the past that our new tape electronics are going to re-define what even seasoned audio pros thought was possible with analog tape - we remain commited to that promise.

For NextGen:
Jeff Polan (Engineer/Designer) & Charles King (Stellavox/King Cello)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
View attachment 97040
Some exciting results on our NEW NextGen A80R/C Record Card, paired with our NextGen A80R/C Repro card:

What you see is the Total Harmonic (not just 3rd Harmonic) Distortion off the 1/4" tape at midband (1Khz) recorded at 15ips CCIR for several widely used/common tapes at levels from 350nWb/m up to +13.8 dB above 350nWb/.

What is notable is how well our linearizer works to extend low-distortion dynamic range and SNR - not just for supertapes like SM900, but even for Maxell UDXL:

All three tapes acheive from 77dB to nearly 80 dB A-wtd SNR at 3% THD - a great acheivement - but to fully grasp the full benefits of our Two-stage linearizer check out the distortion (THD) benfits as well; the combination of high SNR AND low distortion are most strikinng for SM900:

First, look at that radically reduced THD at 350nWb/m: 0.04%!
Second: SM900 tape is specified as 3% THD at 14 dB over 320 nWb/m (or +13 dB re 350nWb/m) - using the very same Studer record and repro head specifications - but NOTE that we acheive less than 1% THD at that same level! That is, less than 1/3 the tape manufacturer's specified 3rd order distortion.

We also acheive +3.6 dB better SNR ( 79.6 versus 76 dB A-wtd) than spec'ed by the tape manufacturer.

Notice how the second stage kicks in and reduces distortion from +9.5 dB above 350nW/m through 12.8 dB! In fact we provide 1/3 the THD levels than specied by the manufacturer of SM900 at all levels up to A-wtd SNR ratios of 78dB - that is + 2dB SNR above the manufacturer specified 76 dB A-wtd SNR for 3% 3rd Harmonic distortion.

2dB better A-wtd SNR at 1/3 the distortion than the manufacturer's specs.

All discrete Class A DC coupled electronics from SE input through Record Head, Group Delay Equalizer for near-perfect time domain response, 2-stage B-H linearizer for greatly extended low distortion dynamic range and SNR.

First an all-out assault on analog Tape Repro electronics; now an even more radical assault on Record Electronics.

If your machine does not perfrom like this - and it almost certainly can not - you need to check out our new NextGen A80R/C record electronics as well as the A80R/C repro electronics.

I mentioned in the past that our new tape electronics are going to re-define what even seasoned audio pros thought was possible with analog tape - we remain commited to that promise.

For NextGen:
Jeff Polan (Engineer/Designer) & Charles King (Stellavox/King Cello)

This is certainly a monumental achievement. Can't wait to hear these cards in my system. Now I'll have to re-dub all the tapes in my library.... damn!

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Some additional info and measurements on our exciting new NextGen A80R/C record card, paired with our NextGen A80R/C repro card:

The NextGen pairing features not only exceptional SNR, Dynamic Range, and low distortion (thanks to our unique two-stage B-H linearizer) but flat frequency response 25Hz to 25Khz (15ips CCIR or NAB), and exceptional linear-phase time domain reponse - thanks to our Group Delay Equalizer on the Record Card.

Below: data focusing on linear-phase Time Domain Response, and Group Delay Equalization.

Jeff
NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_1.jpg NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_2.jpg NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_3.jpg NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_4.jpg NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_5.jpg NextGen pair measurements Record-Repro; Group Delay Equalization_Page_6.jpg

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Some further15ips CCIR measurements on our exciting NEW NextGen A80R/C Record Card (used with our Nextgen A80R/C Repro Card) following what I hope and expect to be the final design (Wavelength Model and Group delay Equalizer) tweaks; 30 ips AES results (not shown) are very similar, but with slightly more extended high-frequency response, and 1-2 dB further improvement in the already outstanding 15ips CCIR SNR.

This project has been all-out assault on analog Tape Record/Replay performance with very clear audible superiority in accurate linear-phase time domain response, extended dynamic range, available SNR, and extremely low non-linear distortion. Combined with an outstanding mechanical transport such as available in the Studer A80 R/C, the NextGen Record and Repro Cards redefine what has been thought possible with analog recording, and argues strongly for the continued superiority of analog recording.

First Record Card set off to Bruce Brown/Puget Sound Studios for evaluation and review in days! 9-6-22 Final Board #2, #3 CCIR extract_Page_1.jpg 9-6-22 Final Board #2, #3 CCIR extract_Page_2.jpg 9-6-22 Final Board #2, #3 CCIR extract_Page_3.jpg

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
any news on this?
Yes:
First three 30/15ips NextGen A80R/C record card sets are complete (apart from 2 front panels, with more front panels on the way ). All three are spoken for (one set has just been sent off to Bruce Brown/Puget Sound studios for evaluation and review, one set committed to Eichenbaum, and my own. The technical measurements and sound have been exemplary.

Availability of a key low signal HS/LS relay with special AgPd contacts - also used on the Repro Card - is currently the big issue stopping more from being completed - there are simply NONE available anywhere in the world right now, still 40 week lead time and expected no earlier than December - if that holds we will have more card sets available in January, including the first 15/7.5 ips versions.

Once you hear these with the NetxGen Repro Cards, like me, no one will be giving them up! Making dubs of high-res digital recordings are indistinguishable sounding, and very clearly superior to those made on my highly-modified Studer Record Cards: Incredibly clean, richly-detailed, and musical, wonderful transients and with what seems to be limitless dynamic range. Getting ready to do some live recordings....

Jeff

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
When do you think repro and record cards for the A810 will be available?

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
As of now, our NextGen A8XX Repro/Headblock Preamp and Record cards are planned for mid-to-late 2023; they will use the very same audio design and circuitry as our A80R/C cards, re-packaged, and should sound every bit as good. Concerns remain parts availability/lead times, the quantity that must be committed for the surface mount manufacturing, and installation of the new headblock preamp by owners, or offering an installation service.

Another option under active consideration is an outboard "universal" version using our current NextGen A80R/C repro and record cards for connection directly to the repro and record heads and record enable controls - coupled as well with a newly designed and improved crystal-locked Bias Oscillator card for the record Bias, all in a single package. We are looking at this thoroughly now, and may instead choose to go in this direction in the near term.

Stay tuned.
Jeff

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
The new precision Bias oscillator card will solve both (1) the Bias oscillator aging and amplitude/frequency drift problem, (2) the practical problem of presetting exactly the bias traps for realizing the full design performance of the NextGen record and repro cards for those users without the instruments and capability to adjust these in their machines, and (3) further reduce Bias noise by an expected 1-2 dB; it will also serve as a test bed for a few new ideas I have on Tape Bias including modification of Bias dynamically based on signal characteristics (concept roughly similar to HX) and a constructed spread-spectrum bias signal.

Jeff

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Chck out the new thread on New Record Cards:

Includes more detailed technical information and measurements on our NextGen A80R/C Record and Repro card set, including complete record/replay Transfer- and Impulse- Response, Coherence Function, and Group Delay, and what it all signifies for sonic accuracy and performance. A short explanation on how we turned the A80R/C into the world's finest analog magnetic tape recorder!
Jeff

five

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
Another option under active consideration is an outboard "universal" version using our current NextGen A80R/C repro and record cards for connection directly to the repro and record heads and record enable controls - coupled as well with a newly designed and improved crystal-locked Bias Oscillator card for the record Bias, all in a single package. We are looking at this thoroughly now, and may instead choose to go in this direction in the near term.

Stay tuned.
Jeff
I was just wondering if you‘ve made any decision on the direction you plan to take for A8xx machines. Also if the mid to late 2023 timeframe is still what you anticipate.

Thanks!

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
I was just wondering if you‘ve made any decision on the direction you plan to take for A8xx machines. Also if the mid to late 2023 timeframe is still what you anticipate.

Thanks!
Yes, we remain today on course for full release midyear of the NextGen standalone external tape electronics (despite suffering some supply disruption delays) which can replace and upgrade all Studer model audio electronics (as well as that of many other professional machines). We are currently under contract for a first system to a Portland, OR recording studio this February replacing their A80VU MKIV electronics.

(1) The new crystal-locked Bias + Erase oscillator card is up and running as expected, and offers separately configuable Bias and Erase frequencies between 150Khz and 500Khz for Bias, and 75K and 150 Khz for ERASE, for optimum perfromance of each function. It offers a significant reduction in bias noise (as much as 2-3 dB on the A80R/C) as well as 2nd harmonic distortion (which shows up as a further reduction in 2nd harmonic in analog outputs).

It will be avaliable as well for plug-in replacement on the A80R/C, and using it will eliminate any Bias frequency error, and associated loss of performance resulting from un-adjusted record and repro traps from the factory preset values on our Record and Repro card, or the need for extender card, adjustment tool, and instrumentation for user-adjustment.

As important is that it allows for maximum performance to be realized from our 2-stage B-H linearizer on the NextGen Record Card by suppressing residual bias leakage into the second stage of the linearizer. Although we have taken several enginering provisions to minimize this effect on the linearizer (including an extensive 2xLC bias trap before- and LC bias-bypass surrounding- the 2nd stage of the linearizer) its effect can not be totally eliminated unless the traps are tuned precisely to the actual bias frequency.

(Recognize that the 40-50 year old Studer A80R/C LC oscillator cards were spec'd to be tuned within +/3% at the time, but have mostly aged and drifted well outside that range if left unadjusted.)

(2) Chassis and controls is well along in design. Attached is a picture of the new outboard chassis Front Panel.

Cutouts are where the two sets of REPRO Cards alone, or REC + REPRO Cards are inserted; the BIAS/ERASE oscillator is mounted internally.

The pushbutton switches are really superb sealed indicating RGB LED type, indicating GREEN when (record) SAFE is selected, indication changing to RED when the deck enters RECORD, and BLUE or no indication otherwise;

Output selection and Level Monitoring of INPUT (BLUE) or REPRO (GREEN) via an identical pushbutton switch.

The 30-segment green/yellow/red LED level displays -26dB to +7 dB average responding (33dB dynamic range), much like an extended range VU meter but with an additional short-term maximum average hold/decay; it should be more useful in setting average levels then a true analog VU meter.

Thanks for your interest ....Stay tuned.

Jeff

Attachments

• NextGen outboard Chassis FP_rev10_Final_public.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 32

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
NextGen standalone external tape electronics (despite suffering some supply disruption delays) which can replace and upgrade all Studer model audio electronics (as well as that of many other professional machines).
Hi Jeff, Just catching up here. I had noted that you earlier remarked that you MAY consider a card set for the Ampex ATR-102 in the future. I see now the rendition of the Outboard chassis and your statement above "as well as that of many other professional machines". Can you elaborate any on how this Outboard version might work with an ATR-102? Do you still plan to ultimately consider ATR-102 internal replacement cards or would this Outboard product replace that? Finally, the Outboard repro function may be relatively easy to connect to the Repro head, but how would the Record/Ease interface?

five

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
Since the solution for A8xx machines will be a “generic” one (using the A80 cards), am I correct that this would mean that the headblock amplifier stage will need to be bypassed and direct outputs (from the playback head) and inputs (from the record head) would need to be routed somehow directly to the external box?

I presume that would also imply that all of the analog circuitry on the A8xx (e.g. the meter bridge, and related controls) would be inactive.

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Hi Jeff, Just catching up here. I had noted that you earlier remarked that you MAY consider a card set for the Ampex ATR-102 in the future. I see now the rendition of the Outboard chassis and your statement above "as well as that of many other professional machines". Can you elaborate any on how this Outboard version might work with an ATR-102? Do you still plan to ultimately consider ATR-102 internal replacement cards or would this Outboard product replace that? Finally, the Outboard repro function may be relatively easy to connect to the Repro head, but how would the Record/Ease interface?
Although we have not yet tried to interface it to this deck, in principle our external tape electronics should work very well with the Ampex ATRs; its on our short list among the first decks to try after the Studer.
Regards
Since the solution for A8xx machines will be a “generic” one (using the A80 cards), am I correct that this would mean that the headblock amplifier stage will need to be bypassed and direct outputs (from the playback head) and inputs (from the record head) would need to be routed somehow directly to the external box?

I presume that would also imply that all of the analog circuitry on the A8xx (e.g. the meter bridge, and related controls) would be inactive.
Your are of course correct: the NextGen outboard tape electronics are designed for direct head connections, has its own controls and metering, and interfaces to the deck's speed selection, and record mode selection. We expect to have gear at some of the high-end shows next year.

As much as we would want to do a Studer A8xx card set (and the repro cards in particular), the reality is that the economics dictated by the necessary surface mount manufacture of a purist approach discrete analog design in this small form factor is just not feasible at commitments of less than 50 to 100 repro cards, and the headblock 2-channel preamplifiers. Barring a group buy, it is just not feasible, whereas the outboard electronics applied to a larger set of machines and customers just may be.

Having said that, it also abundantly clear that very many existing thru-hole parts are rapidly being phased out of production - that is disappearing ; there is simply not enough volume today to justify the manufacturer's continuing production of these parts. Nearly all semiconductors and passive components produced and widely available today are geared to high volume consumer goods utilizing surface mount, not low-volume applications.

Where that leaves - or shall leave - the small cadre of audiophiles still intent on realizing the very highest quality audio recording and reproduction is uncertain. Especially now, when you consider that we have come to a point in time where very nearly all the prior audible limitations can be conquered - provided we can get the thru-hole parts needed to build in small quantities, or the customer demand to build surface mount in large quantities.

jeff

five

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
Unfortunate, but I understand. If things change in the future and you are able to do A8xx cards, let me know.

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
I am a happy owner of NextGen record+repro cards. I cannot praise them enough. I have been recording on tape since the 60's and for the last ten years from digital files. If you've never tried recording your own tapes, you should. You will not regret.

Reactions: Brett Schuler

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022

Redefining Analog Tape Performance:

Announcing NextGen Audio Systems Outboard Tape Electronics

NextGen Outboard Tape Electronics uses our exceptional NextGen A80R/C Repro and Record Cards, along with our newly-developed and equally-exceptional NextGen Bias/Erase Oscillator Card (seen on top of chassis), packaged together with required control electronics for easy interfacing to a variety of proferssional grade Tape Transports.

(The attached photo doesn't do the actual appearance justice, because the high-brightness 30-segment Green/Yellow/Red extended LED display - with the panel and RGB indicating push-button switches exposed properly - exceeds the dynamic range of the CCD image sensors on my 27MP Cannon camera.)

Some Key Features:

• Front-Panel Controls and Indicators: Indicating sealed pushbutton switches for each channel as follows:
    • SAFE (Green)/RECORD (Red);
    • Source/Tape monitoring/metering: INPUT(Blue)/REPRO (Green);
  • Extended range (-27 to +7dB) average-responding (VU-) metering with peak hold/decay, commensurate with the exceptional record/repro dynamic range of the NextGen record/repro electronics;
  • Achieves as much as 82 dB A-WTD SNR with less than 1% midband THD using SM900 tape (14 dB above 350nWb/m, 15 ips, 1/4" Tape, CCIR); unmatched dynamic range
  • Unmatched time domain performance with built-in Group Delay equalizer and 2-stage B-H linearizer on Record, and fully-specified Impulse response and Coherence function performance;

Configurations:​

Available in 2-channel Repro Only, or Full 2-channel Tape Record and Repro configurations, and with several control interfaces available (High/LOW Speed Selection, and Record), for interface to a number of professional grade tape transports (decks); among these Studer A80VU, Ampex ATR-102, and Nagra-T are available/planned.

Availabilty:​

A very few of these Outboard Tape Electronics units shall come available starting in May; please contact us regarding Configurations and Pricing, and booking yours!

http://www.NextGenAudioSystems.com

NexGen Outboard Picture corrected.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing