New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
my vinyl has leaped ahead more (in degrees) than my digital over these last years in spite of my considerable digital efforts, i have zero illusions i will ever see them as the same level (they will never be the same).

it's inevitable that there will be forward movement of digital performance up the diminishing curve. and if the Wadax is one of those steps, there will be another later.
Digital is a media with very different technical and subjective properties than vinyl. We can't compare their levels - at best we can level our preference.

Tape has not leaped ahead in the last forty years - it is limited by the electromechanical properties of the top reproducers. I can't see how vinyl is continuously jumping every six months, considering that analog LPs are sourced from tape.

My progress in this hobby is dominated by my preferences and enjoyment of the evolution of my systems. A few steps were really significant, most are just (enjoyable :oops: ) adjustments. Surely MHO, YMMV.

Reactions: Lagonda

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
According to my usual sources, yes, the bar has been raised. But do not expect a DAC that sounds like vinyl ... ;)
I only play digital music, but I see that vinyl improves every day at the same time, so the gap between them will always be there ...
I see them as different ways to enjoy music and that's okay, because you can focus wherever you want. You can enjoy music to a high level with both or each one separately ...

Reactions: howiebrou

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Digital is a media with very different technical and subjective properties than vinyl. We can't compare their levels - at best we can level our preference.

Tape has not leaped ahead in the last forty years - it is limited by the electromechanical properties of the top reproducers. I can't see how vinyl is continuously jumping every six months, considering that analog LPs are sourced from tape.

My progress in this hobby is dominated by my preferences and enjoyment of the evolution of my systems. A few steps were really significant, most are just (enjoyable :oops: ) adjustments. Surely MHO, YMMV.

i don't want to get too far off topic here, but agree analog format potential is not really variable. but the path toward reaching it is not linear or the same for everyone. my most recent vinyl 'ahah' moment was with the LFD cables and how the tiny output from the cartridge has much more info than i had previously appreciated. but a few others likely figured that out earlier. there are lots of vinyl performance variables, how can every one be solved completely by anyone? mechanical systems get refined. and then refined some more.

the remarkable thing is how audible all these little things are with vinyl. it shows just how much information an analog recording can have. so far we have not found all of it.

Reactions: matakana

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Micro, as my vinyl playback has improved in the last 7 years, leaps and bounds in last 6 weeks, the closer it's approximated the best digital. And the CDP that I chose in 2013 remains the closest approximation to what analog does best.
Personally, I truly believe I've achieved the best of both worlds, CD replay that is consistently engaging and immersive like the best vinyl replay, and LP playback that sounds neutral and uncoloured (unlike so many euphonic TTs) like the best digital replay (I'm very familiar w SGM/Aqua front end).
Am I one of the few lifelong vinylphiles and initial digital-hater, that actually references my CDP sound in rating where my analog has needed to go?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i don't want to get too far off topic here, but agree analog format potential is not really variable. but the path toward reaching it is not linear or the same for everyone. my most recent vinyl 'ahah' moment was with the LFD cables and how the tiny output from the cartridge has much more info than i had previously appreciated. but a few others likely figured that out earlier. there are lots of vinyl performance variables, how can every one be solved completely by anyone? mechanical systems get refined. and then refined some more.

the remarkable thing is how audible all these little things are with vinyl. it shows just how much information an analog recording can have. so far we have not found all of it.
Mike,

In what sense are you considering that the information increased? Or is it simple being better exposed?

BTW, can you imagine how the tape sound will improve if you replace the wire from the tape head to the heap preamplifier with LFD cable? ;)

Reactions: marmota

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
agree. from what i gather he has bought the dac after listening to it - is that right howie?
Ill let you know in 6 -7 weeks . I ordered the Wadax and as you know I own the CH

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
excited for you Elliot.
I cant wait. I am very much focused on all the changes we are going to make to bring in some additional great products.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
looking forward to your thoughts!:)
I will be happy to report on the products when they arrive. We have both the DAC and server coming. I am not allowed to say anymore :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Thanks Elliot....i am curious are Wadia and Wadax related ? the names sound very similar there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Elliot....i am curious are Wadia and Wadax related ? the names sound very similar there.
I dont think they are related at all. Looks like Wadia Digital was formed in 1988, bought in 2011 by Fine Sounds (owners of ARC and SF) was originally based in Saline, Michigan, US. Wadax is a Spanish company recently formed in 2006 by Javier Guadalajara in Madrid, Spain.

Reactions: christoph

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I dont think they are related at all. Looks like Wadia Digital was formed in 1988, bought in 2011 by Fine Sounds (owners of ARC and SF) was originally based in Saline, Michigan, US. Wadax is a Spanish company recently formed in 2006 by Javier Guadalajara in Madrid, Spain.
ahhh righto thanks Lloyd:) . Looking forward to Elliott's report:)

Sunny

We are so excited to be Wadax dealers. We already have the Wadax Atlantis DAC + Power supply in our store on display and we shall have the WADAX Atlantis Reference DAC by next week also. We have on Display the CH Precision L10 Pre-Amplifiers, The M10 Mono block Amplifiers and the world renowned P1 Phono stage with X1 power supplies and a D1 SACD Transport. We also stock the CH Precision C1 DAC. We have Stenheim Reference Ultimes, 3 pair of Stenheim Alumine 5 se and standard version Alumine 5 loudspeakers and 2 pair of Alumine 3 loudspeakers in stock ready for installation.

Attachments

• IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8972.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8974.JPG
    IMG_8974.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 26

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Those are beautiful units especially when seen together! When they bring out the Reference Transport (if ever) the 3 all in one system will be a sight to behold! The sound quality of their gear is also first-rate (understatement).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and people either seem to love or not like their design aesthetic. Personally I find them beautiful and their
audio performance is true SOTA, up there with the finest out there. That optical cable (mustard yellow in color) needs a bit of work on its
aesthetic but opinions on that will vary I'm sure :)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Those are beautiful units especially when seen together! When they bring out the Reference Transport (if ever) the 3 all in one system will be a sight to behold! The sound quality of their gear is also first-rate (understatement).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and people either seem to love or not like their design aesthetic. Personally I find them beautiful and their
audio performance is true SOTA, up there with the finest out there. That optical cable (mustard yellow in color) needs a bit of work on its
aesthetic but opinions on that will vary I'm sure :)
I also like the looks however the looks are not a significant part of my buying decision. When I listen its usually in a darkened room and I prefer not seeing the gear or the lights from the gear if possible. ( My room my way :) In this case its form follows function which is true for many audio products. I believe its important that these devices be really well made, well finished and of course sound amazing. There is a pride of ownership in all high end products whether its audio, automobiles etc. however in my mind that only matters if the product does what it is supposed to and many times does what no other can do. Does anyone buy these items solely on the looks? Please send them to me LOL.
My speakers are finished at a level above any others I have seen but so far every pair sold HAD to be played before they were bought. The finishes were only looked at or commented on after they loved the sound. I do however believe that certain objects may be so outrageous or different looking that they could be off-putting or as we sometimes call it the WAF. My experience tells me this is much more a discussion with large speakers than electronics however there are always exceptions.
I can't wait to get mine and experience the sound!

Sunny

Wadax Reference DAC, CH Precision 10 Series and Stenheim Reference Ultimes are now ready for demonstration and installation in your home.

Attachments

• IMG_9041.jpg
    IMG_9041.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing