On Cables

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Combo unit in most every kitchen. Refrigerator/Freezer. As opposed to say a deep well freezer in your basement. Or a wine refrigerator. Its the compressor in the freezer section of my unit that is making the modulating hum.
Lol. Us old guuys use to refer to marijuana as reefer. I think you see where I was going.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Refer makes all cables sound better.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I do agree long speaker cables is a non stater
low cap cables matters big time on long runs
a question can the preamp drive a long run ? what is the input imp of amps and output imp of preamp
aside of the TT a simple digital source with all in the same room to test short cheap cables then try long all in same room to observe any changes
we all may have alt views but all want the best sound
Gary of Genisis I truly trust on possibilities as I know him and his experience
im sure many here are also very good as well
to me short cables is best sound
but tubes can weigh heavy in great sound for there own comfort

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . in my experience the VTL 7.5 mk II + Siegfried II connected with Mogami 2791 is a waste of time and money - I own them.

Thank you for your thoughts, Francisco.

Please elaborate on this view. How does Mogami 2791 render a waste the sound of those components?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
blue jeans is one I use

Blue Jeans is closely related to Iconoclast. Do you have any experience with either of the Iconoclast interconnects?

Dylan

Oct 16, 2013
Washington, DC
My solution to the cable conundrum: buy the speakers you love from a dealer you trust. Ask the dealer that you trust what amp he recommends with the speakers. Ask the dealer that you trust what cables he recommends with the speakers and amp. Then be happy and listen to music.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Sorry I don’t only Mogami
and blue jeans
Mogami is more mid centric
where bluejeans is more top end
but it really is the wire used
beldon has many
known specs matters to me it’s why I’m shy of exotic types
I. Was advised to try bluejeans on phono from cart to phono pre and phono pre to pre
the low c was best and was way better then stock stuff I was using
this led me to buy the bal long run cables
I’m sure there is better but better is a condition we each may perceive alone
mine was 40 feet all in
now much shorter
I think cable length effects the sound

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you for your thoughts, Francisco.

Please elaborate on this view. How does Mogami 2791 render a waste the sound of those components?

The sound becomes flat and lacking life, transients are lost in the excess of midrange weight. The Siegfried sounds extremely powerful and full, you have to have to allow life and articulation to flow in the system. IMHO , the VTL7.5 mk3 is not so easy to complement as the ARC REF40 - it needs some tuning. Just a feeling, but I would love to listen to the top Cardas with the VTLs.

Reactions: dan31

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just a feeling, but I would love to listen to the top Cardas with the VTLs.

I have the same feeling about the Cardas Clear Beyond interconnect.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sure is some expensive as all get-out wire ‘ya talk’in ‘bout there!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Just a feeling, but I would love to listen to the top Cardas with the VTLs.
I have the same feeling about the Cardas Clear Beyond interconnect.
Your feelings will change after you try a 15m run of it! Like most audiophile ics the sound will fall apart and get peaky after the first 7-8m. For many audiophile cables 5m-6m is their limit.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your feelings will change after you try a 15m run of it! Like most audiophile ics the sound will fall apart and get peaky after the first 7-8m. For many audiophile cables 5m-6m is their limit.

david

And the Mogamis and the Beldens do not get fall apart and get peaky?

The audiophile cables often have higher capacitance than the Mogamis and the Beldens. Why would the audiophile cables emphasize higher frequencies (rather than tend to roll off higher frequencies)?

Thank you!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
No, they’re mic cable properly designed for long runs.
The audiophile cables often have higher capacitance than the Mogamis and the Beldens. Why would the audiophile cables emphasize higher frequencies (rather than tend to roll off higher frequencies)?
I don’t know Ron nor do I care! Not talking about Cardas, the Typical answer will be impedance curve from the guys who buy off the shelf stuff and dress it in pantyhose. They’ll braid, twist or come up with some other shit, call it magic and sell it to you. If you really want to throw money at 15m wires ask Transparent or MIT to build them and compensate for whatever it is with their networks.
Thank you!
david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thank you!

I may be mistaken, but peaky to me doesn’t necessarily mean high frequencies. It could be a peak anywhere along the frequency range. Why do you specifically mentioned the high frequencies?

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I may be mistaken, but peaky to me doesn’t necessarily mean high frequencies. It could be a peak anywhere along the frequency range. Why do you specifically mentioned the high frequencies?

You are correct!

Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you really want to throw money at 15m wires ask Transparent or MIT to build them and compensate for whatever it is with their networks.

david

Nope! I will start with whatever you recommend!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron also mentioned master built cables. What do your calculations tell you about the cost of a 15 m run of top Masterbuilt ICs?
I have no idea. Muchos shekels!

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

Never tried 15m but the Cardas Golden Reference IC is one of the lowest capacitance cables I have seen, I measured around 200 pF for my 7.5 m run that operates wonders even with with high impedance tube electronics. This gives around 30 pf per meter. Surely a few audiophile cables can have more than 800 pF per meter - I have measured such high values - and can sound miserable in long runs.

Please note I have no experience with Cardas Beyhond ICs and have not measured them. Also Ron VTL preamplfier has FET SS low impedance bufffers.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing