One Amigo Visits South East Asia and Hears Some Amazing Systems

On post #14, I was truly delighted to finally have the pleasure of meeting you in person. Thank you for the kind words in your description. I had been playing the system for over an hour in anticipation of your visit. My apologies I forgot to show you my bedroom. It is just beside the music room. I decided to have my own man cave when I rebuilt the music room. The "cave" consists of the storage room we went into, the music room and my bedroom. At present, I have the Eera Tentation, Accuphase e202 integrated amp and Yamaha NS 10 bookshelf speakers in the bedroom. I was so preoccupied thinking of what to play for you I forgot to show you the bedroom system. The dimension of my listening room is 14 feet wide by 31 feet long. I keep whatever equipment I like listening to as rotating equipment and experimenting with different combinations is at the same time what I consider my physical exercise.

On post #18, you must have either counted some of the golf bags twice or typed the wrong key. There were 31 golf bags. Three of the golf bags were empty. There are 28 golf sets.

Amazing systems. WOW

On post #27, I am fortunate to have supermario take tender loving care of my equipment. The credit for maintaining the equipment should go to supermario. We had a light lunch and in retrospect, I'm glad it was light because dinner at Jack's was a feast. Our lunch consisted of mash wintermelon soup, a steamed grouper, prawns with vermicelli in hot pot, and black sesame paste dumpling covered with crushed peanuts. It was the most convenient restaurant to go to as it is literally just behind my place. I've been eating there for twelve years already and the place has doubled in size since then.

On post #28, the last time I visited Jerry, the amplifier was a Constellation and the speakers were a pair of Magicos and a pair of Martin Logans. I visited with my contractor and as usual when one is enjoying music, time flew by and before we knew it, we had spent the entire afternoon enjoying the music. The fleet of airplanes is new. I've known Jerry a long time. He also comes to my place to listen. But he has not heard my new room yet. It's amazing how audio creates long time friends.

(...)
This crazy hobby can be costly but for me the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is not only the sound but so also the friendships that come as a result thereof.

I hope that one day I will be able to join you - remember I posted this in WBF in 2011. ;)

The law of diminishing returns is a general law that has applications in engineering and economics, not only in hifi. However, the trend is not always versus diminishing - it starts increasing and somewhere the slope reverses. Most wise people are just looking to this point.

However, for most people high end audio is an hobby, and they must accept that the rules are different. If you are looking for the best you must accept that the criteria for valuating the best is different from mass media audio. Most people will look at the small differences you are considering of great importance as minimal, even as non existing. Also, we should not overlook the social and human aspect of the hobby. If it was not for the good friends and pleasures I have in this hobby I would find my expenses in it unacceptable. But forums, meetings, travels and meals are also part of it - similar to going to have a nice dinner at a good restaurant after a concert. Why should we have shame on it?

BTW, I am one of those who consider that the small differences exist and are important ... :D

Again on post #27, the last song I played was from Amici Defined track #5 entitled "So Far Away".

Amazing! Thank you for the coverage of these systems Steve.

If you ever have another trip like this planned I would love to go with you. Such once in a lifetime experiences are hard to come by.

Thanks Steve, for sharing so many fabulous experiences . Very enriching to be able to partake in your journey thru your posted threads . Happy Listening to you .

On post 78, if not for our common love of audio, the five of us would not have known each other. Neither would we have known you Steve. I am glad to have these bonds of friendships, these bonds have enriched my life.

On post #61, it was a pleasure. You gave me an excellent reason to take the day off and what a day off it turns out to be!! It's been a long time since the last time we were all together.

On post 78, if not for our common love of audio, the five of us would not have known each other. Neither would we have known you Steve. I am glad to have these bonds of friendships, these bonds have enriched my life.

+1

I couldn't have said that better myself. Am I'm thankful for the forum that Steve founded, and for Jack for pointing me here. And the rest is history, good history. :) Thanks guys. :)

What an amazing collection of systems in equally magnificent listening rooms!

I think I'm officially jealous now lol. Steve that was awesome coverage of all those systems. I look forward to the day I get to meet everyone on visit to the Philippines and see these wonderful sound rooms with awesome gear. One can only dream lol.

I just realized I made a mistake in post #101. The speakers in my bedroom are the Yamaha NS-1, not NS-10. My apologies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing