Paul McGowan Prefers Digital

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sound recording for sound recording...youtube sound delivery; I much prefer the other one, sourced from the turntable.

This one here above (it don't matter to me the source); it sounds constricted, distorted, broken, old analgesic losing all its effect, painful, jittery, scary and neurotic. I'm just being honest on how I feel listening to it from that video.

Do you feel some verisimilitude to what I just experienced?

The piano sounds like coming from Yuja Wang's flying fingers. I like Yuja so even from youtube I very much enjoy.

Tang :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Tang, you're easy to please...I like that. You have a lovely family too, most important music.

Do you occasionally listen to digital, like in your car, on the run, @ home?

Spring cheers,

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It is okay that you dont think what i said it is correct. I dont even know if it is correct haha. I listen MikeL video and then i listen your video through my iphone. I comment about what i hear. I also listen to Tang youtube through my iphone. Oh well, maybe it is best not to go down this path since you think you knew it all. :D

P/S: just a thought, maybe the piano sounds like in this clip??

That sounds very good.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The full piece (from the exact same album they are listening to):

Thanks NorthStar for correcting me. Didnt think it was her. I thought Yuja or Argerich. Will try to find one on vinyl. I dont mind digital. I still have a JMF spinner with Acqua dac. I lost a lot of money on digital (actually on analog too :D). Imo the later I go back to digital the less financial loss I likely will experience.

Tang

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Aqua DACs are upgradeable. Not much to lose there, as the upgrades are generally worth the price of admission.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
The other piece Mr.Tang refer to is Lang Lang playing Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 / Paganini Rhapsody. 71divj8Ol-L._SX522_.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I really like these piano videos. Pianos can sound different...Bosendorfer,Steinway, and Baldwin. After listening so can digital and analog. Systems and recordings too.
Anyway I thought listening on a lazy Sunday afternoon I made this short video.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini in A Minor, Op. 43: Variation 22 - 23 - 24 - by Lang Lang (2005)

I actually played this piece for my senior recital at Shenandoah Conservatory of Music..... then it was aptly named "Soundtrack from Somewhere In Time"

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I really like these piano videos. Pianos can sound different...Bosendorfer,Steinway, and Baldwin. After listening so can digital and analog. Systems and recordings too.
Anyway I thought listening on a lazy Sunday afternoon I made this short video.

Oh boy your system is amazing.

Reactions: RogerD

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Getting Paul to agree to use tubes in their current amp/preamp designs took considerable persuasion by Bascom King and I think Arnie Nudell. I’ve never heard the results, but did have a DirectStream dac and sold it after a direct comparison with the comparably priced Lampi TRP dac, even before my tube rolling was settled. Not that the DS doesn’t have a lot going for it, especially with Ted Smith’s firmware updates, but difference between the two was not small. And the TRP was a couple of steps below Lampi’s best at the time.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am just saying ,how do you establish a preference for a captive audience?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing