Playback Designs MPD-8

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
This is an honest question Jerome. What about the Plink interface makes the direction matter? I have never hears of optical gel.
Thanks
Yes I recall Frank the CD Transport "Guru" at Theta was the first to implement his "Opti-Gue"(sic)! for application to the Optical lead connectors before insertion. I've still got some somewhere :rolleyes: I think.

BruceD

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
MPS-X is nice. Network acoustics tempus switch and muon pro filter also really nice and amazing. Anything foundational (server streamer dac) I enjoy working on more for some odd reason. Recently about to mess around with speaker cables so that should be fun!

Sums it up.

Reactions: Ampman

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Are there any tricks to disconnecting the MPS-X Plink cable from the MPS-8? Mine was stuck in very tight, and although I was very careful to pull straight back, I still managed to break the tip off, and can't remove it. Is the optical gel a lubricant to make it easier to insert or remove the Plink cable?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I can’t imagine they’ve changed the cables connections.
previously, you would push in on the connector and turn it left or right until it would unlock and then pull away from the equipment.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
I can’t imagine they’ve changed the cables connections.
previously, you would push in on the connector and turn it left or right until it would unlock and then pull away from the equipment.
Yes - I turned it to unlock it, and pulled straight out, but it would pull out, and when I pulled harder, I broke the tip off.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
You plug it straight in with not much force and once able to push inward, then you turn.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
You plug it straight in with not much force and once able to push inward, then you turn.
Thanks - I might have pressed it in too hard the first time I connected it. I can't remove the broken tip now, so I'm using the AES input. I'll probably need to ship it back to PBD to get the tip removed.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Thanks - I might have pressed it in too hard the first time I connected it. I can't remove the broken tip now, so I'm using the AES input. I'll probably need to ship it back to PBD to get the tip removed.
You are very calm regarding what happened, I would be very upset and annoyed by now if I was you. (At self of course not at PBD)

The important thing to realize is that it does not take a lot of strength to connect and disconnect.

Last edited:

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
You are very calm regarding what happened, I would be very upset and annoyed by now if I was you. (At self of course not at PBD)
It has been a rough ride with the MPS-X. I did read the manual carefully but I have had a couple of problems that might have been prevented with better instructions in the manual. So no, I am not mad at myself because I did carefully follow all of the instructions in the manual.

I'm also having problems with songs stuttering or stopping abruptly. It might be caused by my internet service, but it seems like the MPS-X should have enough internal buffering to prevent this. I have this problem streaming Qobuz with both BubbleUPnP/Android and JPLAY/Apple.

I'm going to try a Grimm MU2 to see if I get the same problems.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
It has been a rough ride with the MPS-X. I did read the manual carefully but I have had a couple of problems that might have been prevented with better instructions in the manual. So no, I am not mad at myself because I did carefully follow all of the instructions in the manual.

I'm also having problems with songs stuttering or stopping abruptly. It might be caused by my internet service, but it seems like the MPS-X should have enough internal buffering to prevent this. I have this problem streaming Qobuz with both BubbleUPnP/Android and JPLAY/Apple.

I'm going to try a Grimm MU2 to see if I get the same problems.
I have had no issues with my MPSX but please do update when trying MU2.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am one of the US Dealers for Playback.
May I ask a question?
According to the PD homepage the Merlot DAC is discontinued.
Is there a PD entry level DAC upcoming as a replacement?
Thank you

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
At this time I do not believe there is a plan to introduce a Merlot replacement. I was aware of MPD6 about 6-8 months before it was released.

The Meitner MA3 or Bricasti M3 and M1 are best options IMO at a lower price if you like Playback.

Periodically Merlots do end up on the used market. I have one coming in shortly.

Reactions: matthias

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
On the MPS-8, when the unused inputs are switched off, there are discernible sonic improvements.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
On the MPS-8, when the unused inputs are switched off, there are discernible sonic improvements.
That is interesting to know. I do keep mine off also for OCD sake.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing