Post Your Frequency Response Curve!

Only because Blue58 told us to use A. See Post #16, above.

I assumed we wanted flat, but Blue58 encouraged A.

Which weighting do you think we should be using?

A weighting is used for noise and general sound level measurements, emulating the ear sensitivity. It is useful when you want to show a single figure, not spectral data. Flat (no weighting) should be used for speaker analysis.

Reactions: Tim Link
Very crude, using iPhone 13, just placing the phone in front of my face and leaning back so it is “about” where my head is. I think I am using the same pink noise track MikeL identified. I have some others off Stereophile test CDs.

A weighting:
6CA49A35-ECA8-4466-AF84-CE7479A4E971.png

And Flat weighting:
729F1849-185D-40DE-A4C3-204DA0108066.png

Whats that mean? (Besides a broad dip ~100 hz)

A weighting is used for noise and general sound level measurements, emulating the ear sensitivity. It is useful when you want to show a single figure, not spectral data. Flat (no weighting) should be used for speaker analysis.
Okay. I will go back to flat as the suggested parameter in the opening post of this thread.

You and Blue58 can argue it out.

Blue58: Why do you think we should use A weighting?

Very crude, using iPhone 13, just placing the phone in front of my face and leaning back so it is “about” where my head is. I think I am using the same pink noise track MikeL identified. I have some others off Stereophile test CDs.

A weighting:
View attachment 104735

And Flat weighting:
View attachment 104736

Whats that mean? (Besides a broad dip ~100 hz)

Congratulations! According to WBF "measurements" your system apparently has much better bass extention than Mike Lavigne system. ...;)

Micro,

I look forward to the progress in your increasingly serious focus on inserting toothpicks into a cake that couldn't be anywhere near done more and more every day. :D

That is to say the frequency of your responses have upheld high standards at risk of slipping.

Thanks, Bob! Which speaker is this?

I think this looks very good!

Are you hearing any tinge of brightness around 4 kilohertz?
My ears are not that well calibrated Ron, I hear music.

Speakers in this instance are Alsyvox Botticelli X.

If I move way up towards the speaker the slight dip ~100hz flattens out but not a realistic listening position. Within a couple feet forward or back not much changes.

My ears are not that well calibrated Ron, I hear music.

Speakers in this instance are Alsyvox Botticelli X.

If I move way up towards the speaker the slight dip ~100hz flattens out but not a realistic listening position. Within a couple feet forward or back not much changes.
Speed of sound is about 343m/s so a 100Hz dip is about 3.43m = 11.25 feet. Do you have walls that are 11.25 feet apart or maybe that’s the floor to ceiling distance?

But yeah, sometimes, we just have to accept that there is a cancellation because we can’t position ourselves to cancel the dip and we can’t change the physical dimensions of the room.

Fantastic measurements regardless in a real room.

Reactions: Tim Link and Bobvin
Sorry to say that unless people standardize the vertical scale and all the RTA parameters, all we can say it that they are nice looking. If we use a 100dB scale dynamics to show a 30 dB variation the curve will probably look nice compared to the same curve shown with 40 dB scale dynamics.

When analyzing one key point is slope - in the few examples we can see curves that have a slope downwards around 0.7dB/octave up to 6dB/octave!

IMO people should also list the distance between the speaker and the microphone.
I don’t know. I think most people use 100dB scale because 40dB scale would always look horrible in real systems without DSP (and maybe even with DSP).
I used to think that the slope should always be shallow but a return to the concert hall recently changed my mind. If I’m listening to a symphony in front row seats, the bass-treble balance would sound quite different than listening in the best seat in the balcony. I wouldn’t say either seat is “wrong”. And if one prefers one seat over another, both are legitimate.
Now at home, to replicate that sound, if you have a flatter frequency response (shallower slope), you would have to crank up the volume much higher but if you want to replicate the same bass-treble balance but listen at a lower volume, you would need a steeper slope because of the Fletcher Munson curves.
So to me, all the slopes are legitimate if the owner is happy with the sound and bass-treble balance at the volume they normally listen at.

I also doubt the distance between speaker and microphone matters because almost all of us are measuring at our listening position. I guess if we are just trying to measure the speaker and not what we are hearing, the distance would matter a lot.

Ultimately, I think the exercise is helpful because it helps us see if there are specific dips and troughs that we may be able to improve upon in the bass region, and for those who want more low bass, it shows us whether we might want to add subwoofers to round out the 20-40Hz. It also shows the difference between say my untreated asymmetric room vs a dedicated treated symmetric room frequency response.

Reactions: Tim Link and cjfrbw
Okay. I will go back to flat as the suggested parameter in the opening post of this thread.

You and Blue58 can argue it out.

Blue58: Why do you think we should use A weighting?
I’m definitely no expert but as I understand it Flat is the speaker output but no longer used (Z weighting is the new term). A weighting is similar to what we actually hear. C weighting normally used for above 100dB measurements.

Any acousticians out there please correct my understanding if I’m not ‘getting it’.

edit; forgot to say, Flat is great for analysing actual speaker output while A is better for telling us where we May adjust something in our systems. Don’t get the two mixed up and try for a flat target curve within A weighted result.

cheers
Blue58

Apologies for not doing the Apple thing, but here are my OmniMic charts -

Full range, 1/6th smoothing
LIF4s0.jpg

Just the low end, no smoothing
CxVnwn.jpg

Surely for Ked, you can all do video's of you measuring your room :p

All of your measurements look amazing in your treated rooms. I just use my asymmetric untreated living room with no atheistic options to move my listening seat for smoother bass. You can easily see how different my left and right channels differ from each other. I agree with Ron that ideally, everyone should use the same measurement and smoothing, otherwise, you get very different looking results as I can see some graphs displayed here are 1/3 smoothing, some 1/12 smoothing and others closer to 1/48 smoothing.

Anyway, here's mine with and without DSP of both channels. Looking at your measurements remind me that perhaps it's time to have a dedicated audio room because DSP has its limitations.
View attachment 104723
1/48 smoothing without DSP
View attachment 104724
1/12 smoothing
View attachment 104726
1/3 smoothing

And with DSP (parametric EQ), things are a little bit better but still not as great as what others have shown:
View attachment 104727
1/12 smoothing with DSP
View attachment 104728
1/3 smoothing with DSP

But so far, the system sounds good enough. At least you've shown me what the future holds for me. Thanks.

The typical scale for sharing responeses like these are 50dB scale on the y-axis, so for instance 50-100dB. Also looks like your SPL level isn't calibrated, not that it matters too much just to see the smoothness of the response. :)

Reactions: dvearn
You need more bass .
Could possibly be the tweeter breaking up already , but if you dont hear it it should be fine .
People were always complaining about the old focal tweeter break up , but in the wilson designs for example i think i like it more so far then the new soft dome .

Ps . Small guess are we talking 2 way system consisting of a 6 inch mid and a hard dome ( metal ) tweeter here ?? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Scott Naylor
You need more bass .
Could possibly be the tweeter breaking up already , but if you dont hear it it should be fine .
People were always complaining about the old focal tweeter break up , but in the wilson designs for example i think i like it more so far then the new soft dome .

Ps . Small guess are we talking 2 way system consisting of a 6 inch mid and a hard dome ( metal ) tweeter here ?? :)
Alsyvox speakers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu