Power Plate

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Myles

In reading your posts in the past it seems you are not a big fan of exercise machines but rather prefer free weights. My club just installed several "Power Plate" machines and are really lauding them. Do you have any comments yea or nay as to whether the machine is a better fat buster

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
oh they call it power plate now.. not too long ago they were being marketed as vibration machines.

I have looked into these before but has not concluded if they are as good as the marketers say. There were mixed feedback on vibration machines. Both massage therapists that I'd been to lately has one, both owners swear they work. I'd been into a couple of models, the one that goes beyond 30 hz is intense.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My personal experience (and from speaking with pro trainers) is that it is a tool, like any other to be used among a variety of tools to get a balanced workout. I am not sure I would stand on that thing and do a 40 minute routine like apparently the ads suggest. Truth be told, my Grandmother had one of these in the '70s, but it had a belt attached to it...supposedly to wrap around your waist and 'melt the fat'. ;) And these plate machines are incredibly expensive for what they do.

What it does help is in forcing your body to use different muscle for stabilization which can be quite good since very times do we move in perfect linear movements in perfect space...its nearly always walking on uneven surfaces, lifting luggage above our head or carrying lopsided audio equipment down the stairs!

Try doing pushups slowly on the floor for 45 seconds...then try it with hands or feet on the plate when turned on for 45 seconds...harder on the plate...I am told because it is also the slightly different muscles being called in to counteract the vibration...which don't always get as much of a workout. So in that regard, a good thing. But again, only in the context of a more balanced workout involving free weights, cardio-oriented workouts, etc.

Just my two cents.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing