Real Estate: Castles in Europe

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Btw Ron, dont put your system in those circular rooms.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes, I meant a two hour drive East to London. :)

I found this: https://historicengland.org.uk/imag...-buildings/guide-for-owners-listed-buildings/

It seems that you can replace appliances and update electrical infrastructure and plumbing infrastructure, as long as you don't alter any historic stone ovens or replace fancy old faucets along the way. If you cannot replace the windows then it must cost a small fortune annually to heat the place.

But then I found this:

"Different types of damp​
There are three main types of damp:​
Rising damp​
Penetrating damp and​
Condensation"​
And if y'all in England have three different kinds of "damp" then I don't think I will be enjoying my supernaturally perfect Beverly Hills weather while I meander through the forest surrounding my castle.
Then again Ron, we Brits don't have three kinds of county-wide wild fires, or earthquakes.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I just really, really want a castle with a secret underground escape tunnel!
:D
I would need an escape tunnel if you played "Send In The Clowns" again Lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, no place is perfect.
If anything can stand up to fires and earth movements, it's a castle. Maybe you can transfer this castle over to Cali, stone by stone...like the original London Bridge was moved to Arizona.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hello to ground control...wake up, wake up...

You’re so funny Ron...I am starting to worry, are you off your meds, have you had a TIA, or experiencing an active imagination hallucination :).

Aren’t you the same California dude that is currently living a nightmare SoCal remodeling project. Just think, an expat in GB hiring contracting work without any pricing or time leverage.

I think that Marc is correct; at least, this time on this one :)!

vbw,
a
Oh Alf, I've been right maybe twice in my life.

Reactions: ALF

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Ron,

Marc is pretty spot on. A grade 1 listed is the most extreme of our UK listed status buildings meaning silly things like needing to replace floorboards with exact reclaimed versions etc, no changes to modernisation etc. It is extremely binding.

There are rarely bargains of this ilk without a tonne of property experts doing “the math” on them before even being advertised. I expect in this instance it is likely that the costs to make the castle viable would be more than the cost of purchase and ongoing running costs being astronomically high.

That said, I am happy you are looking at such properties over here - it would be great if you moved over to the UK!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
According to the floorplan I still think the library would be perfect for a listening room.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: marslo and ALF

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Bill,

If it doesn't have a secret underground tunnel, I just ain't interested. :D

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

antelion

Feb 6, 2017
Hello Ron,
Guess you need to decide if you want your tunnel or your clean power with extra lines and breakers in that case. And if the dampness is the attraction, there are some water castles in Germany you could get for free (the saved 2.75mn could go towards a netjet membership cutting down travel times to London).
and for the case of France, they have a very large underground escape tunnel ...

Reactions: Ron Resnick

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I assume you could find some nice deals if you re willing to restore.
I bet you could work out a nice tax / subsidise agreement with local governments if you show you re serious about the whole thing.
I m talking france here .
Its in everybodies benefit to turn a ruin in something nice .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Transylvanian castles are the ones. Ron can gracefully get old, become a widower, host an English audiophile, miraculously do a Benjamin Button and try to steal his GF.

Hands off Ron!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing