REL No. 32

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I ordered dual REL 32s today. I should have them in a couple of weeks. I look forward to receiving them and sharing my thoughts.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, I listened to them prior to purchasing them.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I have them now and they're breaking in. In addition, I'm comparing a DCS Bartok DAC to my Chord.

Reactions: CKKeung and gds7368

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I am about to order a pair of 32s. How do they sound in your system?

I did the DAC auditions about four years ago, listened to just about everything and got the Playback Designs MPD-8.

Reactions: Hyperion

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am about to order a pair of 32s. How do they sound in your system?

I did the DAC auditions about four years ago, listened to just about everything and got the Playback Designs MPD-8.
Hi Chuck,

Now THAT is interesting...I believe you have the YG Sonya V which is a 4-tower including 2 dedicated sub towers. Are the REL 32s for those speakers? What inspires you to get dual subs?

I am intrigued because personally, I have my eye set on a single or pair of Funk Audio 18.2s (dual-opposing 18" cones which measure like crazy and which as a pair might just move as much if not more air than the older REL 25th 6-pack.)

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I believe you have the YG Sonya V which is a 4-tower including 2 dedicated sub towers. Are the REL 32s for those speakers? What inspires you to get dual subs?
I have the YG Sonja XVi speakers which are a four tower speaker, however, they second towers are not subwoofer towers, they are bass towers. It is a full range speaker system. I also have a HT system in the same room, that use the YG XVi as LR and a YG Sonja Center channel speaker. The REL 32s are for this system. They have to work both as LFE in the HT and in the 2 channel system. The RELs are designed for such use, at least that is what I have read, been told by dealers and YT.

YG makes its own subwoofer, the Invincible, but it is too big (21" cones) and too expensive ($100K) for me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got it. Thanks! I imagine the REL 32s are amazing...I wonder whether you might be willing to doublestack them. I know Arnie (of Rockport Arrakis, CH10 full mono set fame) has added the full REL 6-pack and was blown away...but I somehow sense it took the full 6-pack to far surpass the Arrakis.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I listened to a pair of 31s with Acora SRC-2 speakers. I choose REL 32s, because the subwoofer finder on REL's website recommended them as a match based on my speakers and room dimensions. Two different dealers recommended 32s as being ideal for my system.
I previously owned REL G1 mkII subs, but always wanted the 25s. It just made more sense to purchase the 32s and not think about subwoofers anymore.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I listened for the first time yesterday evening. I've owned the following subwoofers: HSU, Martin Logan Depth I, JL Audio F110s and F112, REL Carbon Limiteds, G1 mkII, and several SVS subwoofers. The No. 32s are the right subwoofers for my system, room, and what I want from subwoofers. It isn't about bass with the 32s, but how they open-up the soundstage and brings me closer to the recording venue. My wife simply said, "more space and you can really tell the singer is in front and everything else is all around you."
I recently said, I'll never own subs for 2-channel again. I was wrong!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
The expanse in soundstage is one of the often-overlooked benefits of subs

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I listened for the first time yesterday evening. I've owned the following subwoofers: HSU, Martin Logan Depth I, JL Audio F110s and F112, REL Carbon Limiteds, G1 mkII, and several SVS subwoofers. The No. 32s are the right subwoofers for my system, room, and what I want from subwoofers. It isn't about bass with the 32s, but how they open-up the soundstage and brings me closer to the recording venue. My wife simply said, "more space and you can really tell the singer is in front and everything else is all around you."
I recently said, I'll never own subs for 2-channel again. I was wrong!
What are your main speakers? Thanks.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Monitor Audio PL500 II speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am about to order a pair of 32s.

This is interesting to me because, like me, even though we have a lot of woofing going on, there is some desire (in my case, theoretical) for additional extremely low bass driver surface area. LL21 is in the same camp.

Did you consider the YG Invincible?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Nice. What did you think of the Acora?
The Acora's were being driven by a Boulder 866 integrated amplifier, with a DCS Rossini DAC as the source. They do all of the audiophile things...image, soundstage, and good detail. If they're for you comes down to having the right room and individual preferences.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is interesting to me because, like me, even though we have a lot of woofing going on, there is some desire (in my case, theoretical) for additional extremely low bass driver surface area. LL21 is in the same camp.

I think Chuck said he did consider it but preferred the REL options, not least because the YG is a big size (based on 21" cones) and particularly expensive ($100K)

"...The REL 32s are for this system. They have to work both as LFE in the HT and in the 2 channel system. The RELs are designed for such use, at least that is what I have read, been told by dealers and YG.

YG makes its own subwoofer, the Invincible, but it is too big (21" cones) and too expensive ($100K) for me...."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Yes. When I had the Wilson XLF I also had a Thor's Hammer sub but it was just too big for the room. The same would be true for the Invincible. Then there is the $100,000.00 price. I think a pair or more RELs (31, 32 or S812), or similar (JL, SVS, Paradigm) will accomplish the task.

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Very interesting discussion.
having never used a sub before, I’ve recently added a REL #31 to my Tidal based system.
I was originally looking to add some body and a little weight to my Tidal G2’s that can be a little lean, in my 11ft by 20ft room.
I borrowed first one than a pair or Carbon specials - quite amazing - more body, but also space, separation, clarity and a little more weight. I ordered a pair.
But before they were delivered, my dealer came back and said the #31 was so much better he brought one over to try the same afternoon, and I changed my order.
Had it about 6 weeks - sound quality increased across the board, not only the bass.
Very pleased - its a big beast though, and does spoil the aesthetics of my room and my wife hates it
Given how expensive larger speakers where going to be, and room matching is always a complicated story, adding the rel has not only saving me money, but brought out the best in my already good system…
No brainer - if I had more room I’d add a second….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing