REL No. 32

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I initially liked my Carbon Specials, but eventually sold them due to the passive radiator. I prefer sealed subwoofers without a passive radiator.

I do agree that subs can provide a fuller sound.

Reactions: sbo6

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Not to spoil this thread- congratulations on the 32's I am a fan of subs and the 32's are awesome- will you be sharing your DAVE/ Bartok impressions?

I just installed a DAVE and added the FARAD power supply trio- it is impressive as far as DACs go.

Reactions: bryans

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Very interesting discussion.
having never used a sub before, I’ve recently added a REL #31 to my Tidal based system.
I was originally looking to add some body and a little weight to my Tidal G2’s that can be a little lean, in my 11ft by 20ft room.
I borrowed first one than a pair or Carbon specials - quite amazing - more body, but also space, separation, clarity and a little more weight. I ordered a pair.
But before they were delivered, my dealer came back and said the #31 was so much better he brought one over to try the same afternoon, and I changed my order.
Very nice. I listened to a Rel #31 a couple of weeks ago. Have been wondering if a pair of S/810 or Carbon Special vs. single Rel #31 is the way to go.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Not to spoil this thread- congratulations on the 32's I am a fan of subs and the 32's are awesome- will you be sharing your DAVE/ Bartok impressions?

I just installed a DAVE and added the FARAD power supply trio- it is impressive as far as DACs go.
My wife kept saying something was missing with the Bartok. In my opinion the Bartok is slightly clearer, but the Dave has a more 3-dimensional soundstage. The biggest differences between the two are gain and dynamics. The Dave sounds more dynamic; thus instruments sound more "real". The Bartok gain is significantly lower than the Dave's...I never turn the volume above 62 with the Dave, but with the Bartok the music didn't sound as dynamic with the volume at 70. Which one you prefer will depend on your system and preferences.

I plan on listening to the DCS Rossini and MSB Premier DAC. I thought about purchasing the Farad power supply, but I don't want three more boxes and power cords.

Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Very nice. I listened to a Rel #31 a couple of weeks ago. Have been wondering if a pair of S/810 or Carbon Special vs. single Rel #31 is the way to go.
I'm a firm believer in dual subs. In my room a single sub doesn't pressurize the room equally.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6 and CKKeung

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
My wife kept saying something was missing with the Bartok. In my opinion the Bartok is slightly clearer, but the Dave has a more 3-dimensional soundstage. The biggest differences between the two are gain and dynamics. The Dave sounds more dynamic; thus instruments sound more "real". The Bartok gain is significantly lower than the Dave's...I never turn the volume above 62 with the Dave, but with the Bartok the music didn't sound as dynamic with the volume at 70. Which one you prefer will depend on your system and preferences.

I plan on listening to the DCS Rossini and MSB Premier DAC. I thought about purchasing the Farad power supply, but I don't want three more boxes and power cords.
I have not heard the latest crop of top of the line DACs for certain- Although I have heard the Bartok, I have the DAVE with 3 power supplies here and I have the Mola Mola Tambuqui here.

Dave is as you say more holographic and dimensional than all of them- The power supplies just make the Dave better at what it does.

I'll stop there-- back to the REL 32-- and yes a pair is the way to go!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What do the large REL subs do when integrated to a full range speaker system?

Do they add bass weight and power to say 80's pop that doesn't really have deep bass to start with?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes. When I had the Wilson XLF I also had a Thor's Hammer sub but it was just too big for the room. The same would be true for the Invincible. Then there is the $100,000.00 price. I think a pair or more RELs (31, 32 or S812), or similar (JL, SVS, Paradigm) will accomplish the task.
Thank you.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
What do the large REL subs do when integrated to a full range speaker system?

Do they add bass weight and power to say 80's pop that doesn't really have deep bass to start with?
In my system dual No. 32s expands the soundstage, more space between instruments/singers, and improves detail across the entire audio spectrum. I don't think it's night and day, but easily discernible. Once heard it's hard to dismiss.

I don't hear "added bass", but more articulate bass that can be heard at lower volume.

For me, I prefer subwoofers that don't bring attention to themselves. I don't want to know they're on, until I turn them off!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
In my system dual No. 32s expands the soundstage, more space between instruments/singers, and improves detail across the entire audio spectrum. I don't think it's night and day, but easily discernible. Once heard it's hard to dismiss.

I don't hear "added bass", but more articulate bass that can be heard at lower volume.

For me, I prefer subwoofers that don't bring attention to themselves. I don't want to know they're on, until I turn them off!
For me you are spot on. This is what I use subs for also.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Agree. The other thing they add is impact to the leading edge of bass notes, i.e. the thump in the chest experience. Fast large cones moving significant amount of air.

Reactions: XV-1

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
The No. 32s are the largest subs that I've ever owned. Although the 32s are the largest subs I've owned, they totally disappear in my room.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Following up on my initial post. All systems are different and I'm just describing my experience. Some say source first, but I think it depends on your current system. As I've already said, two different dealers suggested subwoofers over changing anything else. I recently tried an Aeris Cerat preamp, Audio Research preamp, changed music servers, and tried a DCS Bartok DAC. Yes, I could hear differences, but nothing has had the overall impact as adding the No. 32 subwoofers.

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The No. 32s are the largest subs that I've ever owned. Although the 32s are the largest subs I've owned, they totally disappear in my room.
Where did you wind up placing them? Behind the main speakers or side by side? I have seen both. The demo at Upscale Audio has them behind the main speakers, sort of backed into the corner, diagonally. Have seen videos with them side by side. Did you connect them using the High level, to the amp or the speakers?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Mine are placed to the outside and even with my speakers. I use the high level connection.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I got the 32s unpacked (not easy!) and set up last Tuesday. They are all that. I did not think they would have as much impact with the full range YG XVi as they do. On almost all tracks, as you say, discernible but not night and day. However, on some tracks it is night and day. Big pipe organ pieces for example.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Following up on my initial post. All systems are different and I'm just describing my experience. Some say source first, but I think it depends on your current system. As I've already said, two different dealers suggested subwoofers over changing anything else. I recently tried an Aeris Cerat preamp, Audio Research preamp, changed music servers, and tried a DCS Bartok DAC. Yes, I could hear differences, but nothing has had the overall impact as adding the No. 32 subwoofers.
If you like bass, and the sense of scale and venue that resides in deep bass, then high quality, powerful and effortless bass is hard to do without once you have it. We are just beginning considering a new solution to this here that would take the volume of air displacement capability up significantly below 40hz.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Chuck!

Are you using John Hunter’s preferred Sneakers track to set them up? (I ask because I tried John’s suggested method on my old REL Stentor III, and I never knew what the heck he was talking about.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got the 32s unpacked (not easy!) and set up last Tuesday. They are all that. I did not think they would have as much impact with the full range YG XVi as they do. On almost all tracks, as you say, discernible but not night and day. However, on some tracks it is night and day. Big pipe organ pieces for example.
Congrats! I have found that even on 1950s jazz recordings, the sense of venue with the sub on is dramatically more enveloping when on than off. You might have a different experience given the 4-tower configuration...but that has been my experience over the years. Let alone deep house electronic, soundtracks like anything from Hans Zimmer (Dark Knight, Thin Red Line, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) or even Gregson-Williams, etc.

Congrats and enjoy!

Try the Tron soundtrack done by Daft Punk/Hans Zimmer!

Reactions: Bso

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing