Remarkable MBL Speaker Review by Breuninger. Is the speaker as good as the review?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Interesting set-up "placement" I have found the MBL's to really shine need as much symmetrical as possible just as others do. That area where the door is behind the right speaker, you might want to make sure the cavity is filled, also use foam weather stripping around the door frame so the door does not move and interact, possibly put something over top. If you bang on the drywall that is angled behind the right speaker, it it a hollow sound? if so I would address such, possibly with insulation. You could always have some blown in.

I take it your speakers are on a wood suspended floor, have you tried any different isolation options under your speakers? I have and the sonic differences is pretty amazing and all over the place, a freind has been trying also but has concrete "condo" and also notices sonic differences. We both have on their way StillPoints ultra 5's to try.

How much distance is there "can't see in the pic" right speaker and left to side walls? How far do you sit and how much distance is there behind your listening position? Looking at the speakers while sitting in your listening position where are the two post hilding that hold the tweeter firing? Hard to see in the pic but it appears your speakers might be firing outside your shoulders, if so you might want to exsperiment with this, I have found having such firing at my ears being my preference.

In that space I actually would not have had MBL's set-up, I would have gone with something else but heh if it's working for you and you are enjoying that's what it's all about.

Which Bryston's did you have? And what pre paired up with it because the 28 Squared paired up with either ARC or VAC was pretty amazing. When I still had my MBL 6010d pre, ARC Ref3, VTL 7.5 and VAC on hand a pair of MBL 9008's and 9011's and Bryston's were by far my preferrence and any others whoom came over for a listen was not any of the MBL pces.

Tape machines, yes I have read between the lines that this appears to be a passion of yours, I have only heard one set-up with such that really got my attention but then came the what was or was not available music wise and had me pass.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I plan to modify the room by removing the section with the small door and making left and right sides as close to each other as possible soon.

Currently, 101Es are about 4' away from the side walls and I have a chair positioned at about 9' away for the best imagining and another chair ~12' away for the best bass...that back chair is about two feet away from the window wall behind me.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, how would you compare the Bryston to the MBL 9008? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
Which Bryston's did you have? And what pre paired up with it because the 28 Squared paired up with either ARC or VAC was pretty amazing. When I still had my MBL 6010d pre, ARC Ref3, VTL 7.5 and VAC on hand a pair of MBL 9008's and 9011's and Bryston's were by far my preferrence and any others whoom came over for a listen was not any of the MBL pces.

Hi DEV,

Have you heard VTL 750's with MBLs, by chance? If so, what were your impressions? Thanks

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi caesar,

yes I did, I don't want to hijack this thead as it's getting off topic. If you refer to my thread of my VAC journey there is info. there pertaining both Bryston including others that I have had paired up.

In the end VAC Sig MK2a pre and VAC Statement 450 mono blocks rule and nothing else comes close as a complete package, NOTHING! :)

richteff

Mar 24, 2013
Billings, MT
Hi guys, I too am on an amplifier quest to match up with my recently purchased MBL 101E's. Before I begin assembling the VAC system DEV recommended, I wonder if any of you have tried the Audio Research 610's?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome to WBF! Congrats on the MBLs... your own personal concert hall. Are these the MKIs or MKIIs? If they are the IIs are they broken in? I don't want to tell you how long that will take (break in). Please share a photo of your setup :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys, I too am on an amplifier quest to match up with my recently purchased MBL 101E's. Before I begin assembling the VAC system DEV recommended, I wonder if any of you have tried the Audio Research 610's?

I owned them for 2 years. Great sounding amps but they went back to ARC 4 times during the 2 years because of blown tubes. Which of course would take out a resistor and require a checkup at the factory. My amps had the the KT120s as original tubes. I couldn't recommend them for quality reasons alone.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Congrats, Richteff! Do you want to see this as a journey, or do you want to get to the final destination asap?

A question for Peter, DEV, KI, and other owners: to borrow from Tolstoy and flip the Anna K. quote ,"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.", when amps sound bad with mbl, do they sound bad in the same way or in different ways?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was amazed to hear a pair of MBLs in Greg's room at Axpona a few weeks ago powered by the 4 box Jolida amps (100 watt, EL-34 based) sound great. I heard those same amps in Greg's room at RMAF 2012 powering a pair of VS speakers and the combo was weak in the bass which I attributed to the amps. I thought the MBL speakers would be a much tougher load to drive than the VS. Regardless, the combo sounded fantastic.

The cut I heard on the MBLs that blew me away was on a tape from Bruce and it was some cut I had never heard before. It was something from Cape Town or somewhere in Africa. It sounded fantastic.

richteff

Mar 24, 2013
Billings, MT
Thank you for your thoughts, guys. I bought my pair of gorgeous rosewood 101E mk I's as a second pair of speakers to add to my home theater setup. I have an all-McIntosh system including MX121 processor, MVP891 digital source, MC205 amplifier for the center and surround speakers, and MC1.2KW monoblocks for the main speakers. My current mains are XRT2K towers and, together with a REL G1 for the mains and two REL R528's backing up the center and rear surrounds, the system is a very solid home theater system finer than anything I've heard anywhere else.

I hoped to run the MBL speakers as a "Zone 2" system so I could either listen to 5.1/video recordings through the theater setup or 2-channel recordings through the MBL's. I quickly (and painfully) learned that these MBL's sound very nice through McIntosh, but not nearly as good as they did through the MBL 9008's the dealer was playing them through when I fell in love with them. I'm still breaking in now and praying that they will sweeten up with hours. Peter, any comment on the break-in time I should expect?

As it stands now, it's looking a lot like I'm going to be buying a dedicated preamp and monoblocks for these 101E's. I don't mind investing the money, but don't want to repeat DEV's amplifier odyssey. The VAC system sounds like the go-to tube system. Unfortunately I spent most of AXPONA Chicago listening to solid state amplifiers thinking I wasn't quite ready to brave the vacuum tube frontier. I'm a relative newbie to the high end audio arena and haven't yet committed to vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, or tubes just yet. Thank you Frank750 for your comments on the Audio Research 610's. I was hoping to get started with a pair of monoblocks under $25k. If you guys think it's worth waiting for, I'm certainly willing to save up for a (very long) while and get the VAC preamp/monos in time. The 101's are waiting patiently for the right input to really shine. Rosewood 101E.jpg

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
The cut I heard on the MBLs that blew me away was on a tape from Bruce and it was some cut I had never heard before. It was something from Cape Town or somewhere in Africa. It sounded fantastic.

Hi Mark:

Although Bruce called my MBLs ugly ;), I still liked 1/2" tape of one of the Hugh Masekela's master recordings he played for me the last time when I visited his studio. I would bet you heard the same fantastic cut.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hey Ki-If it's the cut where the guy makes train noises, that would be the one.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thank you for your thoughts, guys. I bought my pair of gorgeous rosewood 101E mk I's as a second pair of speakers to add to my home theater setup. I have an all-McIntosh system including MX121 processor, MVP891 digital source, MC205 amplifier for the center and surround speakers, and MC1.2KW monoblocks for the main speakers. My current mains are XRT2K towers and, together with a REL G1 for the mains and two REL R528's backing up the center and rear surrounds, the system is a very solid home theater system finer than anything I've heard anywhere else.

I hoped to run the MBL speakers as a "Zone 2" system so I could either listen to 5.1/video recordings through the theater setup or 2-channel recordings through the MBL's. I quickly (and painfully) learned that these MBL's sound very nice through McIntosh, but not nearly as good as they did through the MBL 9008's the dealer was playing them through when I fell in love with them. I'm still breaking in now and praying that they will sweeten up with hours. Peter, any comment on the break-in time I should expect?

As it stands now, it's looking a lot like I'm going to be buying a dedicated preamp and monoblocks for these 101E's. I don't mind investing the money, but don't want to repeat DEV's amplifier odyssey. The VAC system sounds like the go-to tube system. Unfortunately I spent most of AXPONA Chicago listening to solid state amplifiers thinking I wasn't quite ready to brave the vacuum tube frontier. I'm a relative newbie to the high end audio arena and haven't yet committed to vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, or tubes just yet. Thank you Frank750 for your comments on the Audio Research 610's. I was hoping to get started with a pair of monoblocks under $25k. If you guys think it's worth waiting for, I'm certainly willing to save up for a (very long) while and get the VAC preamp/monos in time. The 101's are waiting patiently for the right input to really shine. View attachment 8921

Richteff, the amplifier is such a personal choice, it is really hard to venture a guess as to what you will like. A couple of things are certain, however. First, these speakers are so transparent, they will expose any strengths and weaknesses of everything upstream. Second, they are hard to drive. Yes, many tube amps will drive them. They will give you an amazing midrange. But they may not have that dynamic slam of SS. If that is a big realism trigger for you, you will not be happy.

I don't think there is a short cut; you just have to try the amps in your system. My thought is that if you liked the MBL amps, see if you could pick up a new pair, or find a used pair. You can always upgrade later more rationally and effectively if you have a good system.

Also, how big is your room and how are the speakers positioned in relation to walls?

richteff

Mar 24, 2013
Billings, MT
Thank you for your thoughts, Caesar. My listening space is 30 x 40 feet with 10 ft ceilings. When I positioned the MBL's alone in the room, I found more distant bass nodes more pleasing than the first and strongest node nearest the wall. 4 feet from the back wall and at equidistant widths to the listening distant worked best also. Toe-in seemed meaningless, if only to direct the ported bass resonances for more punch. Rake didn't seem to change or focus their tone, though placing them on solid pins off the carpet did sharpen them up. They sounded best as far from the side walls as I could get them without losing focus, 4 feet minimum. I agree with a previous comment that these speakers are more forgiving in their positioning.

Any thoughts on the use of MBL 9007 amplifiers with MKI's until I can upgrade - waste of time? What about cable recommendations?

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Thank you for your thoughts, Caesar. My listening space is 30 x 40 feet with 10 ft ceilings. When I positioned the MBL's alone in the room, I found more distant bass nodes more pleasing than the first and strongest node nearest the wall. 4 feet from the back wall and at equidistant widths to the listening distant worked best also. Toe-in seemed meaningless, if only to direct the ported bass resonances for more punch. Rake didn't seem to change or focus their tone, though placing them on solid pins off the carpet did sharpen them up. They sounded best as far from the side walls as I could get them without losing focus, 4 feet minimum. I agree with a previous comment that these speakers are more forgiving in their positioning.

Any thoughts on the use of MBL 9007 amplifiers with MKI's until I can upgrade - waste of time? What about cable recommendations?

Richteff, You may want to explore the Bryston 28BSST momoblocks. I believe Dev preferred those to all the other SS amps he auditioned. Very reasonable priced. I am using the Vac monos on my pair of Mk 11's and love the sound but they are not cheap.

richteff

Mar 24, 2013
Billings, MT
That's good advice, Husk. Momoblock...a Freudian slip or a typo? What are you running for sources and cabling on your system? Do you agree that the VAC's are hands down the best match you've ever heard with the 101's?

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
That's good advice, Husk. Momoblock...a Freudian slip or a typo? What are you running for sources and cabling on your system? Do you agree that the VAC's are hands down the best match you've ever heard with the 101's?

Richteff, I am using the VAC Sig pre along with their Monoblocks. I am using a Sooloos music server for the source. Last week I auditioned a MSB Diamond Dac iv Plus with volumn control. W e also had the MSB transport to compare the Sooloos to the MSB transport. We could not tell any differen between the 2. Fremer said basiclly the same thing. We also ran the MSB direct to my monoblocks and compared that sound to running the dac through my Vac pre. That was a toss up also. The MSB was by far the best sound I have had in my room. I am ordering one. Probably the Signiture Dac iv Plus. I am using Shunyata PC.s, Hi Fidelity IC's and MG Audio Planus 3 speaker cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing