Jun 26, 2014
The doors LA woman on 7 watts 300b TAD 4003 dual FLH

this shows how well the 4003 plays all the details without any harshness

That is absolutely amazing

Reactions: bonzo75 and PeterA

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That one boogies. I still have that somewhat indelible memory of Led Zeppelin playing loud on large Altec VOT horns in a home in the central valley when I was 19. He was a friend of a guy who lived in the house I was staying in at Berkeley over the summer and he took me out there.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That one boogies. I still have that somewhat indelible memory of Led Zeppelin playing loud on large Altec VOT horns in a home in the central valley when I was 19. He was a friend of a guy who lived in the house I was staying in at Berkeley over the summer and he took me out there.

vott is the best for rock. It is impossible to beat the midbass kick drum of a dual FLH. Real big apogees are second. The black Sabbath I have posted on Altec at the start of this thread is on 3.5 watts. You can always add 833c amp if one desires more power. I have also posted a black Sabbath and Moby Dick on Leif's system in the thread.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
vott is the best for rock. It is impossible to beat the midbass kick drum of a dual FLH. Real big apogees are second. The black Sabbath I have posted on Altec at the start of this thread is on 3.5 watts. You can always add 833c amp if one desires more power. I have also posted a black Sabbath and Moby Dick on Leif's system in the thread.

Sorry I forgot to mention. Al's system in person does drums better than those videos apparently

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry I forgot to mention. Al's system in person does drums better than those videos apparently

Any good system in person should do drums better than videos. If it doesn't, you have a problem.

Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Any good system in person should do drums better than videos. If it doesn't, you have a problem.

Al, not sure I really agree with this. I think it depends on what you mean by doing drums “better“. You won’t get the volume and sheer energy and impact from a video you watch over a computer and headphones versus the typical “good” system played at volume, but from really superb systems, some of which I think Bonzo has managed to record, being recorded to video, one might hear nuance and amounts of information from a video that is not actually re-produced by a system which is merely “good“.

I think your statement is overly broad. I think it actually depends on the quality of the system being re-produced, even poorly over a system video, and what you mean by a good system heard live. I have no doubt that your system sounds better with drums then most system videos in terms of impact volume extension and power.

I think your statement is true in most cases but I don’t think it applies to all cases. It depends what you were listening for.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, not sure I really agree with this. I think it depends on what you mean by doing drums “better“. You won’t get the volume and sheer energy and impact from a video you watch over a computer and headphones versus the typical “good” system played at volume, but from really superb systems, some of which I think Bonzo has managed to record, being recorded to video, one might hear nuance and amounts of information from a video that is not actually re-produced by a system which is merely “good“.

I think your statement is overly broad. I think it actually depends on the quality of the system being re-produced, even poorly over a system video, and what you mean by a good system heard live. I have no doubt that your system sounds better with drums then most system videos in terms of impact volume extension and power.

I think your statement is true in most cases but I don’t think it applies to all cases. It depends what you were listening for.

Possibly, Peter.

Yet from this video of War Pigs (post #4) I hear not more information than from my system in person, I consistently hear less. It sounds a bit muffled. Not just is the timing of the drumming challenged -- you hear less clearly playing around the beat by Bill Ward than there is on my system -- it is also a bit smeared. Midbass impact of the drums is less than on my system, even though it's not bad either.

In addition, the guitar playing has no dynamics whatsoever, and completely misses the terrifying growl and menacing bite that I hear on my system (my system is really good on electric guitar).

Yet there is a hint from the video that the drum mid bass from the horn system in person might be impressive. If you listen to the official video with direct feed from tape (digitally processed of course like also any system videos),

the drums there sound anemic compared to my system and also compared to Bonzo's system video. So if Bonzo's video can capture mid bass that is better than in the official video, and you extrapolate from comparing video to video (apples to apples), the potential for the drums on the horn system in person to be mind-blowing cannot be dismissed. I would like to hear such a system in person, for sure.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
By the way, if you want a visually engaging video of War Pigs, check this out:

(It has by far the most views on Youtube of any War Pigs version, 74 million.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

That was the sarcasm. Hence comparing in person to a video is silly.

Though you did say in your next post,

"the drums there sound anemic compared to Bonzo's system video. So if Bonzo's video can capture mid bass that is better than in the official video, and you extrapolate from comparing video to video (apples to apples), the potential for the drums on the horn system in person to be mind-blowing cannot be dismissed. I would like to hear such a system in person, for sure."

That is exactly the objective, compare video to video, enough to gauge whether the system is worth checking out in person. Overall a collection of videos is better than visiting a hifi show to short list gear that should be checked out in a proper private set up

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That was the sarcasm. Hence comparing in person to a video is silly.

Well, I'm glad you agree on that one. Some seem to ascribe quite magical powers to videos.

Though you did say in your next post,

"the drums there sound anemic compared to Bonzo's system video. So if Bonzo's video can capture mid bass that is better than in the official video, and you extrapolate from comparing video to video (apples to apples), the potential for the drums on the horn system in person to be mind-blowing cannot be dismissed. I would like to hear such a system in person, for sure."

That is exactly the objective, compare video to video, enough to gauge whether the system is worth checking out in person.

Well, there was an awful lot of torturous extrapolating involved in my 'analysis', so from a standalone video little can be deduced. But since you appear to agree to some extent with the validity of my comparison, perhaps next time you can give some helpful clues in a similar direction to readers yourself by posting a comparison video and pointing out differences.

Overall a collection of videos is better than visiting a hifi show to short list gear that should be checked out in a proper private set up

Hmmm, I would say both are equally questionable. But if in your opinion videos are better than hifi shows, then you probably agree that most of the sound at hifi shows sucks. I always find it hilarious when someone thinks a system or even a single component sucks because he's heard it sound bad at a show. You can conclude something from good sound at a show, but you can't from bad sound. The latter can have multiple reasons unrelated to the gear itself.

Reactions: Mikem53

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

This is the Guilty Pleasures Redefined thread, right?

Came across this old video I made about a year ago. Try full screen and cranked volume for the wish I was never here effects. o_O

Nevertheless, awesome guitar.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

10 years ago I exhibited at the RMAF show. And though I played other more musical pieces about 70% of the time exhibiting I played these two pieces. I still remember a few of my reasons for playing these but in the end it may not have been such a good idea. Still, I had a purpose for focusing on these two pieces and I think most visitors enjoyed them.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

If it were me, I'd crank up the volume a bit.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Some of these oldies are a blast to listen to.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well time for some Pixies. Mainly because of the hypnotic bass line at ridiculous levels. Nonetheless, one of my favourite Pixies songs.

Shot using a OnePlus 9 Pro in HD rather than 4K because the upload to YouTube time is just too long for that.

So what does this video tell you? Well, it shows the OnePlus 9 Pro at least records in stereo, and that the camera changes the room as the brightness from the screen alters LOL. Interesting effect.

The ALR projector screen just about works with quite high levels of ambient light, too. But let's face it any OLED or LCD screen struggles with high levels.

Just play the YouTube video of the original and you'll hear this isn't as good. But nothing will be as good as the original source, we've room effects, cheap microphones and an entire replay chain to contend with beyond that source.

The Duettas add extra bass, because, well, that's what Duettas do. The in room articulation, weight and speed in the bass is amazing, though, when you're in there actually listening to it. So although it's generous, it's super well defined overly generous bass with zero bluriness, or so it seems. At around 3 minutes I start walking around the room and the effects of that can quite clearly be heard in the video, particularly if you are listening with headphones. Microphones are particularly adept at picking this up and have a tendency to be really sensitive to room echo IMHO. Which is why recording studios can get really anal with them.

Recorded using Visseaux TMBF1 and Westinghouse VU71 in the Lampi, not that the mics are really good enough to tell you much about tube rolling in the DAC.

Quote "Some marijuana, if you've got some...". Indeed:);)

Last edited:
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That is exactly the objective, compare video to video, enough to gauge whether the system is worth checking out in person. Overall a collection of videos is better than visiting a hifi show to short list gear that should be checked out in a proper private set up
Absolute rubbish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing