Salem, OR

One of these is not like the others.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Sony PS X70 Ancient Turntable, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge, BG Ribbon 300-7Khz with Nelson Pass inspired DefiSit Tokin amplifier driven by tube rectified 26 DHT tube drivers

Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian's system. SAT plus Opus drums

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's the track Ked? Shazam and SoundHound clueless.

It's a limited edition disc to disc LP called San Francisco Ltd

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That's annoying. Wanted to listen to that on my system.

I could do a video of my system playing Gian's system on the projector LOL.

Maybe not;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I came across this a few weeks ago. I have watched it countless times since.

I think it is just awesome.

Dane Grohl on drums, Josh Holme on bass, Trent Reznor on keyboards. Three of contemporary rocks absolute finest together. What more could you ask for?

I also tried recording it on a Rowland Edirol which I had cleaned up because I dropped it in some beer. Unfortunately it ruined the mics in it, so I couldn't use it. Shame. So this is purely a OnePlus 6 phone recording.

nVidia Shield running YouTube into 4K ChangHong A5U projector, coax out into Lampi running $50 6C4C triodes, 6N6P and Westinghouse VU71. Plus Luxman amps.

Enjoy if it's your sort of thang. So fresh YT hasn't processed all resolutions at the time of posting.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"I also tried recording it on a Rowland Edirol which I had cleaned up because I dropped it in some beer."

LOLZ!

Duettas are great. They seem to be a bit close to the back wall and corners per customary recommendations, but sound quite good in the recording. No subs?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Are you freaking deaf? They are clearly the best sounding loudspeaker on the planet!!!;) The mobile phone recording proves it. Put some high quality headphones on loud immediately!

Yes I am joking:)

No subs they are unnecessary and it's a useless fight trying to get them to blend with a speaker that is +/- 0DB at 20Hz and a bit more generous (read a lot) at 32Hz and uses a different tech to cones. Been there, tried that and I am not into organ music. They sound best where they are. That's how I knew what size screen to get.

They are further out than they look. But still the same as a much smaller room I used to run them in. I like them at about 40 inches with the absorbers behind them. In fact they are at exactly at 40 inches as measured by a laser:D

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Actually FWIW in that room the bass response varies along its length more than I was expecting, so it really depends on where you choose to sit.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"They are clearly the best sounding loudspeaker on the planet!!!" Certainly in the pantheon rather than outside it.

I can walk through bass nodes in my room, even with four subwoofers. Oddly, the bass in the bathroom sounds great, even though it is in an offset on the hall. I only really care about the main listening area.

Yeah, perspective is deceiving, 40 inches is plenty from back wall, almost exactly as far as my Epsilons (about same size as Duetta) from back wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Curiousity begs me to ask what woofers you are using with your Epsilon's and how successful you consider to be.

Before replying take the oath of honesty;):)

EDIT: I just thought I'd add I think it would be easier to get a more successful result with Epsilons than Duettas as they won't go quite as low.

With mine maybe an 18 inch OB design might work but I haven't got the side space. In my sub explorations I found a lot of recordings either contain nothing or junk you don't want to hear below 20Hz. The later as even the recording engineers couldn't hear it was on there in the studio.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I use surrounds and DSP for subs and surrounds through a Yamaha Pre/Pro. I also have a separate gain unit for bass so it can be boosted and volume controlled through a single knob without going into the AV menus.

I use the four subs, all of different manufacture, around the room to enhance dispersal and reinforcement, generally according to the Geddes recommendations. Also, the surround programs contribute to integration. Ambience is a potent enhancer and smoother of bass output as well due to the various delays.

I am loath to recommend bass arrangements to audiophiles, because it seems it's one of those 'princess and the pea' subjects, and audiophiles differ in their sensitivity to 'wet' or 'dry' as well as volume and apparent seamlessness with the mains. I would cite my own sensitivity to such things as modest, so I am easy to please as long as I have enough booty thumps.

However, most visitors have liked my bass for whatever reason, though it has been altered over the years to its present form. I did have one visitor who didn't like it, though, but that was when I had a different single woofer in place many years ago.

Apogees tend to have such a lovely, rich lower bass and midrange that I might also be hesitant to contaminate such if the main panels had enough output. Analysis speakers have a quicker but 'thinner' type of sound by comparison, akin to stats but with more body. However, I don't think that 'speed' difference would necessarily overcome the Apogee 'advantage' which is significant.

Reactions: Zero000

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing