Why do you consider that Ron’s considerations would be any different this time around ?

I don’t. Nor did I say they would be any different. He did not like my system before and he may not like my system now. But none of that matters. The point is that people are not always candid with their true opinions.

what is your point? I’m wearing thick boots reinforced around the ankles.

but then why have Wilson’s for that. Why not get speakers which deliver on the axis/lack of you want
because I really like the Wilson X1 and XLF. They are the speakers I want in all the ways that matter to me. The only speakers I have heard to date that I prefer are the Arrakis (too big/complex) and possibly but not definitively the AG Trio G3 (waaaay too big). Its not that I like axis or not axis...I just like the Wilsons and whether I am listening in the triangle or not does not really change what I am looking for when I hear them.

Different systems. Different observations.
Same transducers … Same disconnect between drivers on anything more challenging beyond Frank and Ella … Same colourations … Same outcome !
Or have you modified them in some way ?

Last edited:
Please read what I wrote. I am not talking about your ears or about ears in general.

I am talking about the sensitivity my ears have in a particular frequency range.
Ron
The increased sensitivity to fr between 3-6kh is a well documented symptom of ... eerrr.. ahem.. aging
Not sure any speaker designers are going to create a range for the "older" listner :)

Congrats on the new speakers.

Clarisys Audio Studio Plus

Reactions: bonzo75
time for a reboot of Ron's New System thread. Time's They Are A' Change'n.

not sure how you fold this change into this discussion. but I'm sure Ron has a plan.

in search of my last final speaker…those threads ended up…well…well?

i think to be fair we need to wait and read Ron's vision and direction here. things change.

everyone has a plan until they get (metaphorically) hit in the face. and there is a commerce aspect here which means this might not be setting aside the Gryphon's.

Reactions: bonzo75
Actually we do not hear the speakers, we hear the room and speaker interactions , speaker is like a trigger for room.
The biggest frequency EQ happens in room speaker interaction and also amplifier speaker interaction.

I know what experts think about EQ, David, Romy, Jim Smith non of them recommend EQ .

EQ could be ok just for lower bass (for example under 60hz) in some rooms in special condition.

David @ddk is not here so I wish I see the comments of Jim Smith @Jim Smith and Roy Gregory @RoyGregory about EQ.

Sometimes it just happens and there is no active search. Cones to horns when checking out turntables. Or this surprise from Ron.

Kedar, after your comments about digital guys auditioning Ron’s system that focuses on analog, Ron, an analog guy surely, becomes a dealer for speakers he auditioned in a digital only system.
I appreciate that you might find that ironic.

Sometimes it just happens and there is no active search. Cones to horns when checking out turntables. Or this surprise from Ron.

Kedar, after your comments about digital guys auditioning Ron’s system that focuses on analog, Ron, an analog guy surely, becomes a dealer for speakers he auditioned in a digital only system.

these speakers take many months to order before they are received at home

This was not really a surprise from Ron. He has been concerned about this edge in the 4-6khz region pretty much since he got the speakers.

Reactions: Pokey77
This was not really a surprise from Ron. He has been concerned about this edge in the 4-6khz region pretty much since he got the speakers.
The question is was it always bright and a wrong audition or was it not bright at the audition but then incorrect set up

Reactions: PeterA
The question is was it always bright and a wrong audition or was it not bright at the audition but then incorrect set up
It was always the same for sure. A short demo doesn’t always reveal these problems…as problems. It might sound more detailed or more impressive upon first audition…only later to be heard as fatiguing. Mine had a residual edge even after correct installation of the notch filter. Without it they would have quickly worn me out.
It is fundamental to the driver design, setup won’t eliminate it.

these speakers take many months to order before they are received at home

Yes, this dealership was not based on the recent audition.

It was always the same for sure. ...Mine had a residual edge even after correct installation of the notch filter. Without it they would have quickly worn me out.
It is fundamental to the driver design, setup won’t eliminate it.
interesting...just so I understand...are you saying your experience is that panels generally end up with a residual edge in this 4khz-6khz region due to something intrinsic to the way panels work and must be designed? Or are there specific panels which have this edge vs others which do not?

Interested because of course if the former, then I guess the Clarysis end up in the same position. And if the latter, then of course the question is if Ron does not hear that edge with the Clarysis, does he go Auditorium with Gryphon sub towers (which I think could be outrageously fun...)

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
interesting...just so I understand...are you saying your experience is that panels generally end up with a residual edge in this 4khz-6khz region
Brad is referring to the BG ribbon

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing