Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good stuff Ron, best of luck on your new journey!
Would like to hear them someday.

Let's schedule a visit whenever you want! Audio Café is open for business!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The word is “was”. I announced here last year that I agreed with members re the conflict of interest and felt that I as an owner should not participate in the sale of or represent any product. I personally feel that was the correct decision
Yes, agree with your decision. When I became a dealer for KR Audio many years ago, I stopped reviewing for Positive Feedback. When I stopped being a dealer I became a reviewer again until I became a dealer for Aries Cerat...then I stopped reviewing again. I just feel it's a conflict of interest and there is no need for it.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Didn't Linn demand the One Speaker Pair Demo policy from their dealers? Not just one pair at a time, but no other spkrs at all to be in the room.
Well, it helped Linn as aural memories are short and the time to bring in better speakers might be awhile...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you for explaining.

Over time it will be interesting to me to try to discern sonic pros and cons between the Pendragons and the Studio Plus (although obviously the better and fairer comparison to the Pendragons would be Auditoriums).

Out of the box the Studio Plus sounds very good to me. (I have been warned by many people not to judge them until the 250 hour mark.) They sound friendlier and more natural sounding than the Pendragons. Even out of the box there is no brightness or edginess in the 4 to 6 kHz region with which I've been been struggling with the Pendragons.
Al seemed quite taken with your Pendragons...maybe a new speaker for him? ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yes, agree with your decision. When I became a dealer for KR Audio many years ago, I stopped reviewing for Positive Feedback. When I stopped being a dealer I became a reviewer again until I became a dealer for Aries Cerat...then I stopped reviewing again. I just feel it's a conflict of interest and there is no need for it.
Why wouldn't you still review speakers, phono equipment, cables. Anything you don't own.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Why wouldn't you still review speakers, phono equipment, cables. Anything you don't own.
i think you have to choose sides. a hobbyist/reviewer/blogger.....or....you are selling stuff.

otherwise the manufacturers and other dealers won't know where you are coming from, neither will the readers. sure.....you can try to be everything to everyone, but then you are nowhere.

we do see bloggers that are dealers......as long as that (selling stuff) is part of the dialog no problem. the viewer can accept it or not. i personally have no interest in that for independent information. but might be entertaining.

there is a separate category for becoming a dealer to get a great deal on gear or tax purposes. it happens. consult your tax attorney. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What's funny is I feel I might get more accurate information about how something performs from someone such as Mike at Suncoast Audio on Audioshark. Stores may also have better infrastructure to create a best opportunity for optimum performance and understanding what the equipment can do. I assume many reviewers equipment is placed in a non optimized location. Not trying to bag on Ron, but he has a set of display speakers in a hobbled location. Yes I have seen many stores with multiple speakers singing along with the active set.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
The word is “was”. I announced here last year that I agreed with members re the conflict of interest and felt that I as an owner should not participate in the sale of or represent any product. I personally feel that was the correct decision
Steve, I agree, especially with regards to conflict of interest.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
View attachment 126356

Ron, three set up questions:

1. Why straight ahead with no toe-in?
2. Do the two large towers behind each speaker affect the back wave of this dipole design?
3. Do you think you will you be changing the acoustic treatments with the panels you mounted up in the forward corners, the various wall panels, the many tube traps and the electronic bass traps?

1. Toe in affects twt to Woofer distance to listener , placing tweeter behind woofer , as well as the changes to being on axis , rear reflections off the panel are also affected by their return phase angles , together they alter/change the sonics tremendously.

The Gryphon does not have a wide baffle with woofer attached so you are mostly playing with the on/axis response and being planar magnetic does not have the same rear energy as the ribbon in the Clarysis..!

Regards

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
1. Toe in affects twt to Woofer distance to listener , placing tweeter behind woofer , as well as the changes to being on axis , rear reflections off the panel are also affected by their return phase angles , together they alter/change the sonics tremendously.

The Gryphon does not have a wide baffle with woofer attached so you are mostly playing with the on/axis response and being planar magnetic does not have the same rear energy as the ribbon in the Clarysis..!

Regards
It had the same rear energy front and back…like the Clarisys ribbon. Both are true dipoles. Having owned both Apogees and my own DIY BG based hybrids I can tell you that they interact similarly with the room.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
This is to announce that I am now a home dealer for Clarisys Audio loudspeakers and Hegel Music Systems. This home dealer project is in addition to all of my current activities, including my participation on the forum, my interviews and show reports and other videos for the WBF YouTube channel, and my reviewing for Mono and Stereo.

I promise to do my best to be bright line careful when wearing my dealer hat for Clarisys Audio versus my other hats which require neutrality, impartiality and intellectual honesty. I promise to do my best to be explicit and declaratory when I am acting on behalf of Clarisys versus when I am engaged in any of my audio industry interviewing, reporting or reviewing activities.

The name of the dealership is Audio Cafe LLC. The website for Audio Cafe is www.AudioCafeBeverlyHills.com. Please check it out!

If you wish to audition the Clarisys Audio Studio Plus loudspeakers please contact me! I have installed the Studio Plus speakers in my main listening room, starting with my usual sources (Studer A820 tape machine, Brinkmann Balance turntable and Lampizator Baltic 4) and my usual electronics (Aesthetix, VTL and Jadis). Presently I have a Hegel V10 phono stage and a P30A pre-amplifier. I plan to get a Hegel amplifier in the future to be able to offer auditions with a solid-state chain of electronics.

Make an appointment, and let's have some fun!

View attachment 126296
Congratulations Ron, nobody is more passionate about audio than you are ! :) What a great way for potential buyers to hear new equipment !

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I might go so far to say, there are enough reviewers out there that don't have adequate rooms or electrical infrastructure to make accurate judgements on what something can really do. At least Ron has a very good power to his gear. And he has taken a lot of time to work on the room. I would prefer he had one set of speakers in the room. Time will tell where he goes on that. Maybe he needs his speakers on a conveyor belt to move them with the push of a button.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: bonzo75

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I might go so far to say, there are enough reviewers out there that don't have adequate rooms or electrical infrastructure to make accurate judgements on what something can really do. At least Ron has a very good power to his gear. And he has taken a lot of time to work on the room. I would prefer he had one set of speakers in the room. Time will tell where he goes on that. Maybe he needs his speakers on a conveyor belt to move them with the push of a button.

Yes at least we all know Ron got good power going to his system :)

Regards

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Hopefully Ron has a good power cord going to the espresso machine. Ron, you do have espresso and crumpets?

Reactions: cjfrbw

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing