State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Yes! Wouldn’t miss it
1651867815015.png
Hopefully Diesis Audio will be there...sounded great in past shows...Alsyvox too.

Alsyvox i heard already at the dutch show , Diesis audio open baffle ? small chance i ll like it .

Horns i have heard already ; Blumenhofer Klipsch Avant garde Tannoy Westminster Zingali Fyne Voxovativ and a lot more i cant remember incl many open baffle designs

From auditioning under show conditions? What standards of reproduction do you have?
What does that mean? Setups at shows can be very good although they often aren’t. I won’t ask what standards you have...I probably know...

View attachment 92555

Alsyvox i heard already at the dutch show , Diesis audio open baffle ? small chance i ll like it ;

Horns i have heard already , Blumenhofer Klipsch Avant garde Tannoy Westminster Zingali Fyne Voxovativ and a lot more i cant remember incl many open baffle designs
But not Odeon, Horns Universum, Living Voice, Aries Cerat...

Yup, people not into SETs and horns don't get much to say these days on general topic threads like this one, unless they want to be interrupted by SET/horn people who say that their systems sound undynamic and not "natural", without sufficient "flow". And that they're overpriced. And those people then want to prove their point with mp3 quality videos, LOL.

Well, I'm kidding, but actually not too much ;).

Honestly, I don’t see this. Are you exaggerating to make your point? I remember being criticized about my old main stream system of SME and Pass and Magico. People used to criticize Magico speakers regularly on this site. I enjoyed my system and I shared my progress freely as it improved with better set up. I actually described it as sounding more natural after the changes. I shared videos of the progress not to prove anything but simply to share the progress I was making for those people who were interested.

There might be some banter on these contentious threads, and people certainly take things seriously, even personally, but I think generally the level of discourse is quite respectful. I find the recent broader range of approaches and opinions very welcome.

I’m sorry you feel interrupted and that AndroMeda feels hassled. Do you suggest members should temper their enthusiasm for their approach and values so as to make others feel more comfortable? How do you think we should modify these discussions moving forward?

Last edited:
I went to shows regularly from 2005 - 2010 i cant remember all what i ve heard but nothing stuck .
Best horn i have heard so far was probably the Fyne

andro, which FYNE models are horns and which have you heard? KeithR really likes his new FYNE speakers but they don’t look like horns to me.

Why are you, or an affiliated exhibitor, not presenting your transducers at the Munich show ?

Building a LS company on a large scale is a financial risk .
I m more interested in being financially independant .

But it will come eventually , i am designing 2 small floorstanders which will be marketed / send for review
Probably via HVT magazine and may be the Brussels HIFI show or Munchen

What does that mean? Setups at shows can be very good although they often aren’t. I won’t ask what standards you have...I probably know...

Yup, certainly lower standards than you, judging from your sublime system videos, LOL.

Reactions: rbbert
as the source of a fair share of horn/SET/vintage righteousness, albeit not completely (possibly minimally) intentional, no surprise that you don't see it. :rolleyes: you are the same thoughtful, meticulous guy as always, just now more passionately and dogmatically focused. i'm not judging intent....just how it looks to me.

Thank you Mike for your perspective. Just the other day someone was telling me how rigid I was before always upgrading within the Pass solid state line and my Magico speakers and my SME turntables. He thought I would never change my opinions of what I thought sounded good.

He then told me he was utterly shocked about my complete change of opinion. He was surprised that I sought out a different sound, even after two years of experimenting with set up conventions. He was very surprised that I so quickly sold off my old system and bought something completely new. Not just different brands, but a completely different approach. Values stayed the same. It was just a different way of getting to the same goal. He told me he’s rarely seen anything like that from other hobbyists. The complete willingness to abandon everything and start new. We do read of other such stories though.

Dogmatism is an interesting way to describe your observation. I appreciate it.

The isoflare point source unit / FR driver has a compression tweeter

thank you. So you consider the conical shape of the low frequency driver is horn loading the compression driver of the tweeter? I did not know such an arrangement was considered horn loading. I would think most or all coaxial drivers then fall into this category. Or am I misunderstanding what you’re describing?

...I think generally the level of discourse is quite respectful..
It depends what you mean by "generally" and "quite respectful". If you mean at least half the posts are not overtly insulting then I would agree. If you think that even half are willing to respect another poster's opinions, then I think you are wrong, although my estimate might be skewed by the sheer number of posts by some.

It depends what you mean by "generally" and "quite respectful". If you mean at least half the posts are not overtly insulting then I would agree. If you think that even half are willing to respect another poster's opinions, then I think you are wrong, although my estimate might be skewed by the sheer number of posts by some.

I see your point. I am referring to the discourse, that which is actually written and expressed in the posts. I’m not talking about what is inside people’s minds. Judging the sheer number of posts by certain members depends greatly on which threads you read.

Last edited:
thank you. So you consider the conical shape of the low frequency driver is horn loading the compression driver of the tweeter? I did not know such an arrangement was considered horn loading. I would think most or all coaxial drivers then fall into this category. Or am I misunderstanding what you’re describing?

Looks like a High Freq horn to me .
Built in a 300 mm LF membrane ,time aligned together making it a " Full Range " unit

Fyne isoflare .gif

Reactions: PeterA
Yup, certainly lower standards than you, judging from your sublime system videos, LOL.
Put up or shut up Al. Bonzo May be able get away with being critical of systems here (one has to wonder why though) without a system but you have one that you claim sounds superb (although there are those who have heard it who would not agree). Post videos ...oh right you claim they don’t have any relevance to the actual sound of the system...funny then that you think to smear my system based on videos that you don’t think are representative.... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut and Al M.
Do you suggest members should temper their enthusiasm for their approach and values so as to make others feel more comfortable?

There is a marked difference between just having enthusiasm for one's approach vs. claiming absolute superiority of one's approach and/or putting down other approaches, as some do.

There is nothing wrong with unbridled enthusiasm as long as it does not entail those other things.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing