Studer a80 capstan motor service

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes thank you but that will be my last option, only if I fail to repair it myself and can't find eu service.

Try asking the owner of Nagravox - perhaps he knows what are the parts you need. The most critical parameter after bearing quality in these motors is bearing pre-loading and as he sells these parts, including beleville washers for Studer motors, perhaps he can help you. https://nagravox.com

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Although you didn't help me much, I thank everyone for their traying and good intentions.
Studer never produced exploded views of the A80 Capstan motor. If yours is defective, your best bet is to find a spare from a deck that someone is parting out. Once you have that, feel free to open up the original and look at it.

A schematic wont help you unless you can resurface the shaft and mic it properly afterward. Most motor winding places, and tape deck repair facilities cant do that. There is no point in changing ball bearings and leaving everything else worn out of tolerance. W&F will be all over the place. There are few areas that I do not recommend folks get into with their A80. This is one of them.

baxa

Sep 26, 2011
Croatia Zagreb
Studer never produced exploded views of the A80 Capstan motor. If yours is defective, your best bet is to find a spare from a deck that someone is parting out. Once you have that, feel free to open up the original and look at it.

A schematic wont help you unless you can resurface the shaft and mic it properly afterward. Most motor winding places, and tape deck repair facilities cant do that. There is no point in changing ball bearings and leaving everything else worn out of tolerance. W&F will be all over the place. There are few areas that I do not recommend folks get into with their A80. This is one of them.
I'm afraid you are right and i will not succeed without the precise instructions to assemble this motor myself. I am even convinced that this was not originally a housing and shaft for 2 ball bearings, but rather something improvised but not good enough.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'm afraid you are right and i will not succeed without the precise instructions to assemble this motor myself. I am even convinced that this was not originally a housing and shaft for 2 ball bearings, but rather something improvised but not good enough.
You might give Zeltec R&D in NYC a call...Dan might able to help. Never send anything to Athan...George is bad news.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
from what I´ve heard Audiohouse in Switzerland is THE ONLY WAY to go

Surely the best way, if it was not for the need of temporary export custom papers I would already have sent one for refurbishment to Audiohouse. But IMHO, some common sense, a decent wow and flutter meter and an audio spectrometer can be a good alternative for skilled amateurs.

In fact, perhaps sometime in Winter, when nights are longer, I will take the challenge and will open one of my spare A80 capstan motors ...

baxa

Sep 26, 2011
Croatia Zagreb
Surely the best way, if it was not for the need of temporary export custom papers I would already have sent one for refurbishment to Audiohouse. But IMHO, some common sense, a decent wow and flutter meter and an audio spectrometer can be a good alternative for skilled amateurs.

In fact, perhaps sometime in Winter, when nights are longer, I will take the challenge and will open one of my spare A80 capstan motors ...

I can't wait for winter to you dismantle your motor and send me a montage picture of the parts. :);)

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

Mine is on its way to Audiohouse as well as the two spooling motors.

Zeltec

Feb 6, 2022
The earliest service manual for the A80 (Mk I) has a breakdown of the A80 capstan motor. When I had the same issue, AudioHaus was able to help me out with the unlisted part numbers, most are listed. I'm not at my shop or I'd scan it now.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I bought the parts i needed from Nagravox in Australia, they also have instructions on how to rebuild the capstan motors. You can also send them your motor for rebuild.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing