Sublime Sound

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am in agreement with both Peter and Floyd. I think the CC's are musically right and pretty much unbeatable, except for components that really need to move current such as high powered amps. The CC's are on all my gear except for the Soulutions which use some custom Furutech DPS 4.1's. . It's a very good combination that maximize the benefits of each PC.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I took a short video, maybe I'll post it. I am the owner of the Shunyata Venom HC v2s. in my system these were better than the Ching Cheng at least in terms of bass performance. I have 10AWG in wall and a long enough run that I think having 10AWG power cords to my monoblocks make a difference (and I think the CC are 14AWG).

The Shunyata are relatively inexpensive power cords (relative to Shunyatas other offerings) and I just wanted to try something with 10AWG to see if it made a difference (and it did) but I also guessed that it might color the sound in some way (possibly due to nickel coating on the prongs) especially since Shunyata needs a reason to sell more expensive power cords.

In Peter's system there was deeper bass with the Venoms but I found it somewhat dark overall and lacking air - so somewhat less engaging than the CCs. It was also a VERY quick comparison and hardly representative of a Ching Cheng vs Shunyata shootout. But hey, the CCs did sound better and were still cheaper!

As the third listener I broadly agree with Peter and Ian. On the jazz piece there was just more energy with the CC, and it was significantly more.

As Ian pointed out, this was a quick comparison and hardly a real shootout. Yet still, with all the caveats, another instance where Shunyata has failed to impress me.

AWG numbers alone apparently don't tell the whole story.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So did Al and Peter listen to the CC at Ian's compared to his Shunyata?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So did Al and Peter listen to the CC at Ian's compared to his Shunyata?

Al and I visited Ian when he had all the new Shunyata power cords. I reported on that visit in one of the threads. They were the NR noise reduction technology chords. I don’t think we listened to these cords without the noise reduction.

Removing them from the system and listening to the cc chords was a big improvement. Even on the front end components that don’t need the current. I don’t think Ian had enough Ching Cheng chords For everything so some of them were stock chords, but in both cases they sounded better than the Shunyata to me. They can share their thoughts and correct the details if I am mistaken.

I agree with Al, I have not yet been impressed by Shunyata power cords. And they have all this technology and research and development behind them. The cheap NOS Chinese power cords sounded better in the two direct comparisons I have made.

Reactions: bonzo75

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Again, I feel compelled out of fairness to Shunyata that you're basing your negative impressions of a company on their entry level products. Their NR power cords on my power hungry amps did not work well and that is not entirely surprising. I think the NR power cords did work well on the DAC (there certainly wasn't anything wrong) but we hardly gave it much of a chance and for the purposes of you getting to hear my CH L1 preamp without other variables we just removed it.

The 10AWG cables we tried in your system were the cheapest cables Shunyata makes and to be fair it did improve the bass in my system (and perhaps arguably in yours). I wouldn't want to judge Magico speakers based on their A1s (that's just an example, I haven't heard them). When a company makes products that cost thousands of dollars and you choose to try their entry level product that costs $250 I'm not sure it's fair to judge their technology and research and development based on that.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
IMO the best thing about Shunyata is they're really nice guys. If you like the product, cool.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Again, I feel compelled out of fairness to Shunyata that you're basing your negative impressions of a company on their entry level products. Their NR power cords on my power hungry amps did not work well and that is not entirely surprising. I think the NR power cords did work well on the DAC (there certainly wasn't anything wrong) but we hardly gave it much of a chance and for the purposes of you getting to hear my CH L1 preamp without other variables we just removed it.

The 10AWG cables we tried in your system were the cheapest cables Shunyata makes and to be fair it did improve the bass in my system (and perhaps arguably in yours). I wouldn't want to judge Magico speakers based on their A1s (that's just an example, I haven't heard them). When a company makes products that cost thousands of dollars and you choose to try their entry level product that costs $250 I'm not sure it's fair to judge their technology and research and development based on that.

Fair enough. But shouldn't even their entry level products not sound worse than a stock cord?

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fair enough. But shouldn't even their entry level products not sound worse than a stock cord?

People should understand that such particular experience does not allow anyone to say if a cable is "worse" or "better" than another one. At this level we are usually just advising if the cable is adequate or not for a particular system.

I have large experience with Shunyata power cables and power devices. In the proper system they are really excellent (in my experience for example in an Audio Research system) , but we can't expect dropping them in any system and miraculously getting an improvement. And yes, sometimes stock cables are hard to beat.

Again IMHO, in order to try power cables we must power all the system with these particular cables, otherwise we risk some particular nasty interactions between them. It is why I have tried full sets of Shunyata, Ching Chengs, Transparent Reference XL, Belden or Quantum (Nordost) power cables. And yes, listener preference matters a lot in these aspects.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I am in agreement with both Peter and Floyd. I think the CC's are musically right and pretty much unbeatable, except for components that really need to move current such as high powered amps. The CC's are on all my gear except for the Soulutions which use some custom Furutech DPS 4.1's. . It's a very good combination that maximize the benefits of each PC.
I run 4 of them with my MBL 9011 amps, sounds great. I would call them high powered, but maybe it’s just my delusion of grandeur flaring up again :rolleyes:

Reactions: ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
CC is basically lame. Can't find one thing fancy about it. Your electronic is on your own no helping. If you cannot use CC for high power amp why not try the same cable you use in your wall for powering amplification.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
CC is basically lame. Can't find one thing fancy about it. Your electronic is on your own no helping. If you cannot use CC for high power amp why not try the same cable you use in your wall for powering amplification.

My own stock cords are also lame then, I guess. I thought it was all TrippLite but apparently I have other ones too, don't know which ones. Not that I care in the least.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tang, I tried that running the JPS labs in wall cabling right to my amplifiers without power cords but the Furutech IEC connectors are colored and I got rid of them and I’m now using outlets with cheap Chinese power cords and it sounds better. Go figure.

Reactions: Lagonda and ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Sure, but when a $25 cheap Chinese power cord beats a highly developed and researched power cord costing 10 times as much one has to pay attention. And remember, these venom HDV2 power cords are highly recommended by others.

I’m just saying that after 20 minutes of hearing them in my system, exhibited the same colorations that I hear from much more expensive and fancy audiophile power cords, I choose not to have that sound in my system.

You can prefer whatever you want. I happen to disagree with you about the bass quality. It was more extended and tighter with your cords, but I did not think it sounded more realistic. It was too emphasized and not natural in my opinion.

We all make different choices.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

The CC are good to probably about 15a, that's up to possibly 900wpc rms. Few amplifiers can exceed the CC ability to deliver. Bigger awg is mostly opinion based.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
... the bass quality ... was more extended and tighter with your [Shunyata] cords...

The only way that I know that one cord can make bass more extended and tighter than another cord is by delivering more power to the amplifier more quickly. This is in contrast to signal interconnects which can act as filters on the audio signal itself. Let me know if you think I’m wrong about this.

Delivering AC power in an unimpeded manner would seem to be one of the basic tenets of power cords generally, and doing so is Shunyata’s stated goal. Your observation suggests that they are in fact succeeding in doing this better than your preferred CC.

I understand that you don’t like the resulting sound in your system, and that you personally prefer an alternative which leads to what you regard as a more natural bass. De gustibus, etc.

But your preference does not really support a conclusion that CC “beats” what, from a power delivery perspective, would appear to be a better engineered alternative. (“ a $25 cheap Chinese power cord beats a highly developed and researched power cord costing 10 times as much…”).

I think it may be more accurate to say that in your system you prefer a tweak which apparently limits the energy available to the amp because the resulting bass seems less hi-fi to you.

But as you well know, others, with other systems and preferences, appreciate Shunyata’s power delivery characteristics relative to stock cords.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
But your preference does not really support a conclusion that CC “beats” what, from a power delivery perspective, would appear to be a better engineered alternative. (“ a $25 cheap Chinese power cord beats a highly developed and researched power cord costing 10 times as much…”).

There's no evidence of power delivery issues you made it up on your own. This is an easy thing to measure with actual electronics, a chart of say 50 amplifiers showing a deficiency of same gauge UL certified industrial cords vs audiophile variety will settle that, until then it's conjecture.

david

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think it may be more accurate to say that in your system you prefer a tweak which apparently limits the energy available to the amp because the resulting bass seems less hi-fi to you.

I've been reading Peter's and Al's comments lately here and elsewhere and am perplexed and disappointed at the stuff being written, so I take them with tons of salt; so much so, that their thoughts on this subject mean nothing to me. Here's what I have seen so far:

1) Peter is using 14awg cords on his amps; I believe this is contrary to our private emails which state he wants at least 10awg in the walls, if I recall correctly. Peter, correct me if I am wrong here. Are your in-wall wires also 14awg or thicker?

2) Al says "this was a quick comparison and hardly a real shootout", and Ian "It was also a VERY quick comparison and hardly representative of a Ching Cheng vs Shunyata shootout" - thus, not a worthy comparison then, to even be talking about; just another hasty set of conclusions, and I have seen a lot of evidence of that lately

3) In private, Al emails us about his own "Shunyata Revelation" on his DAC, albeit with a much more expensive NR-type cord. Nonetheless, I am stunned at the lack of balanced and accurate opinion writing, leaving out many many other details that I just don't care to write about right now

4) As micro wrote, and as I have written to all internally (and as I you also believe I think), cords and power management in general have to be addressed holistically. A cord here and a cord there won't do anything meaningful

5) Peter has tried a number of cords, and says they all exhibited similar behavior in his system. Nowhere in his writings does his - even once - suggest that these experiments may be actually exposing issues in his system and investigate further. Nonetheless, I understand he likes what he likes, though to me, he does not approach this subject in a careful and pragmatic way

6) Peter has proven to me beyond a reasonable doubt that he likes some electronic noise seeeping into his system, which can cover up some issues. By contrast, he refers to the resulting sound as "natural". As we both heard while at his place last time - with the CC cords in place, room treatments removed, Burly wire, plus new phono (but not preamp) - there was nothing natural about the sound, though there were some good moments. Personally, I was mostly cringing and grinding my teeth

So as I said above: lots of salt... but I accept the fact that he likes what he likes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing