Sublime Sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I finished installing the second tonearm and inserting two new #304 stainless steel plates under the turntable. The plates are designed to match the dimensions of the optional air bladder base which I did not get with the turntable. They provide mass loading to the rack and a very stable platform for the turntable, separating the motor unit from the main chassis. The smaller plate weighs about 70 lbs and the larger about 150. Each plate is 2" thick and I refinished them for a smooth, satin finish. Note the reflection of the table's underside in the top surface of the plate in the first photo.

IMG_1067 copy.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I spent the last few days rearranging my room. Here are some photos of the new configuration. The empty rack with the steel plates is 750 lbs. The map chest and diver's helmet in the front right corner will be removed from the room once I find another location for them in the house.

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It all looks great, Peter!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Looks solid!

What are the squares underneath the TT feet?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Looks solid!

What are the squares underneath the TT feet?

It is extremely solid, but not quite like ddk's Nothing Racks that I saw recently in Utah. The rack can not be moved and does not jiggle at all. I designed this rack nine years ago to aesthetically match my Magico Mini II speakers, to support my then new SME 30/12 replacing my Zoethecus rack that was quite flimsy. Total weight is around 1,100 lbs. 400 lbs alone on the top shelf. I started to experiment with the steel plates about a year or so ago.

Those squares are just something I’m playing around with. Experimentation left over from when I had the SME turntable.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Looks absolutely wonderful. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) it in person!

Reactions: Gardener

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Looks really clean and beautiful! The whole room is more inviting this way

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It is extremely solid, but not quite like ddk's Nothing Racks that I saw recently in Utah. The rack can not be moved and does not jiggle at all. I designed this rack nine years ago to aesthetically match my Magico Mini II speakers, to support my then new SME 30/12 replacing my Zoethecus rack that was quite flimsy. Total weight is around 1,100 lbs. 400 lbs alone on the top shelf. I started to experiment with the steel plates about a year or so ago.

The laminated wood (Baltic birch?) Is similar to the frames construction of the SRA Scuttle. I really like that look and no doubt it went well with your Minis which I've always thought were very attractive. Your presentation is tidy and organized ,and the room with the new couch looks inviting.

I canna remember the output of your Cru or Master Sig, but if you haven't tried yet, you might run them through the MM input of the LP2.1, bypassing the (nearly inaudible) Jensens. Table looks new. Nice job.

Reactions: christoph

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I canna remember the output of your Cru or Master Sig, but if you haven't tried yet, you might run them through the MM input of the LP2.1, bypassing the (nearly inaudible) Jensens.
GC is 0.7 mv output, is that how you're running your setup, in the MM input?

david

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Will you put a wood cabinet in the left corner of the room? It is more symmetrical and visually more pleasing

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes, mostly MM input w/ LP1. My Master Sigs are 1.1. Do you have any suggestions?
I never tried MS into the mm input that’s why I asked, my own cartridges are us usually 0.3mv and won’t work properly in the mm input.

david

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Peter, that table looks amazing. (Where is the envy emoticon?)

in your photo, which is almost taken on the plane of the platter, it looks like your tonearms are going to be quite a bit down at the tower when you drop the needle — is this a pre-optimized picture?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, that table looks amazing. (Where is the envy emoticon?)

in your photo, which is almost taken on the plane of the platter, it looks like your tonearms are going to be quite a bit down at the tower when you drop the needle — is this a pre-optimized picture?

Thank you Bob. The tone arms are not completely fine tuned yet. They are aligned but I am still adjusting VTA. You are seeing the rubber edge for the vacuum hold down which is higher than the surface of the platter or LP. The arm tubes are close to level when the styli are in the groove.

Reactions: Bobvin

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The rack can not be moved and does not jiggle at all. I designed this rack nine years ago to aesthetically match my Magico Mini II speakers, to support my then new SME 30/12 replacing my Zoethecus rack that was quite flimsy. Total weight is around 1,100 lbs. 400 lbs alone on the top shelf. I started to experiment with the steel plates about a year or so ago.
Do you distribute the extreme weight again on the floor?
Judging by the pics it doesn't look like it... :oops:

Aren't you afraid to reach or even exceed the load bearing capacities of your (old) house's floor? :eek:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Do you distribute the extreme weight again on the floor?
Judging by the pics it doesn't look like it... :oops:

Aren't you afraid to reach or even exceed the load bearing capacities of your (old) house's floor? :eek:

Yes, it is a concern, so I repositioned the two adjustable steel columns I had in the basement under the old rack location to the other side of the room. They are now again directly under the two front legs of the rack in its new location.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes, it is a concern, so I repositioned the two adjustable steel columns I had in the basement under the old rack location to the other side of the room. They are now again directly under the two front legs of the rack in its new location.
So you are aware of the risk :cool:
Good to know

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing