Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

There is no implementation of digital volume control whatsoever in TAS and volume control is not on the software evolution and build out road map.

We are discovering stuff that surprisingly makes a SQ difference, and quite likely explains why that to date there has yet to be a digital volume control we can´t hear and actually like.
Have you tried Lumin's implementation of LEEDH?

Thank you in advance to the intrepid Alpha II testers. I enjoy A/B listening about as much as a visit to the dentist, so I am glad there are other skilled listeners willing to plow those fields.
or not. i've had a few 'throw my hands up' Alpha TAS moments and backed away, then came back to it and got over my speedbump. or got some help. the team is always on it.

no denying the performance. right now it's working for me.

sure like that screenshot of the new interface.

Reactions: EuroDriver
There is no implementation of digital volume control whatsoever in TAS and volume control is not on the software evolution and build out road map.

We are discovering stuff that surprisingly makes a SQ difference, and quite likely explains why that to date there has yet to be a digital volume control we can´t hear and actually like.

that is what i had assumed, but then i saw the speaker/volume icon on the screenshot of the app (shows set to zero in the screen capture above)

or maybe that is just a mute button?

@EuroDriver

The original conclusion is as follows:

So the Leedh Processing Volume offers perfectly lossless performance down to -30dB for 16 bits digital signal with a 24 bits DAC and more than -30dB with a minimized level of loss by truncation.

Matt

Ed

wuicj question

in that screen shot are we able to switch bn XD GL and HQP ir do you still have to do that via the remote

IOW are those buttons active
The three buttons are active on the ipad or iPhone, tap on one of them and the respective player will start

Reactions: oldmustang
So it’s only if I i go back and forth from Roon to TAS that the remote is needed
to switch to roon, you tap on the Alt List icon, the square with the lines and that brings up the menu where you can switch to roon

There will be an updated quick start guide

The Beta will have a manual as well

@EuroDriver

So the Leedh Processing Volume offers perfectly lossless performance down to -30dB for 16 bits digital signal with a 24 bits DAC and more than -30dB with a minimized level of loss by truncation.

Matt
It's my understanding that all digital volume algorithms begin to lose bits at some point but at least LEEDH doesn't lose more bits than standard. I prefer the LEEDH/Lumin volume control over Roon's DSP volume control in my system.
@EuroDriver

Matt

It's my understanding that all digital volume algorithms begin to lose bits at some point but at least LEEDH doesn't lose more bits than standard. I prefer the LEEDH/Lumin volume control over Roon's DSP volume control in my system.
Maybe, the question is if any DVC is good enough for Taiko Audio.

Matt

I always keep the volume control on the TAS that is seen at the top right at zero. I don't see a need to use it. Are you guys saying there is benefit in using that volume control??? I always thought that it controlled the volume coming from your device if you use that to listen or am I wrong??

I always keep the volume control on the TAS that is seen at the top right at zero. I don't see a need to use it. Are you guys saying there is benefit in using that volume control??? I always thought that it controlled the volume coming from your device if you use that to listen or am I wrong??
Volume control level showing zero is correct.

Any setting of volume using a legacy interface has no effect at all as all of the processes that enable adjustment of volume are not in the code which Wilson has written from scratch. There is absolutely no copy pasting of any source code from another player. It’s all Wilson original :)

Well all I can say is the Taiko team has delivered yet another upgrade to their alpha version of TAS and I am just working my way around it now. I am messing with the gapless player and comparing it to the gap. From what I understand the gap is preferred for single track selections and the gapless player is used for playlists with up to 20 tracks maximum. Talking to Wilson he seems confidant that the 20 track limitation will be removed in the beta version. I really lie that the buttons to change from XD Player, to gapless player to HQP are all active and at the top of the screen so that you can switch on the go.

Watching Wilson do his magic was a treat onto itself as he flew through the inner menu guts of the Extreme and did the upgrade in under 15 minutes

To those alpha users, don't forget to update your TAS remote if you are planning to have Wilson install TAS Alpha version 2

Huge kudos to Emile, Ed, Wilson and his team. It is remarkable for me watching this happen from an idea which was brought to fruition in under 6 months with a resultant SQ that IMO already far exceeds that of Roon.....and TAS is only getting better as the Taiko team has clearly listened to the thoughts of alpha users and have implemented solutions and improvements going forward.

As Emile has set out to control the signal from the time it reaches the Extreme from the time it exits there is little doubt that his upcoming TAS driver, TAS switch and TAS USB board will be big additions in his quest to provide his customers with the very best SQ

Alpha2 is a step in that direction

I noticed that the track time bar now functions partially as you still cannot click on the time bar and advance the track forward manually. Wilson says a fully functional time track will hopefully be in the beta version

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing