Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Looks amazing!

Will this be beneficial for the Chord DAVE since there is no Taiko USB driver for it?

Also, which USB cable does Taiko use at their shop?

Absolutely, Amanero might even benefit more then XMOS as it's less well "isolated". The USB card has 6 very low noise discrete regulator stages and a whole range of additional noise suppression circuits.

I personally still use the Intona Ultimate, there are several more popular picks nowadays, often regarded as musically more engaging, but I value neutrality for design purposes and I have not come across anything more neutral. That is obviously not everybody's cup of tea but since you asked..

Wonder what kind of clock is inside that shelter? ocxo?

That "shelter" is a panzerholz vibration dampening enclosure containing a discrete clock circuitry using an oscillator cut to our specifications. We passed on adding an oven as that has a significant downside (heat) and adds no positives in this application.

Ok, don't spend too much time on LMS functionality as that part of TAS is going to be replaced anyway.

It may already be in your plans, but I'm hoping you maintain a web based interface for music playback (as with LMS at ip:9000)
in your replacement. it isn't important to have the full functionality of the TAS app, but it's a big benefit for maintaining playback options.

Reactions: Kingsrule
Taiko Team, do you have an estimate as to when the LMS-free version of TAS will roll out?

Also, I will happily be a tester if you need one since I can always use Roon if things aren't working.

Taiko Team, do you have an estimate as to when the LMS-free version of TAS will roll out?

Also, I will happily be a tester if you need one since I can always use Roon if things aren't working.
I can't speak for the team but my bet is that it won't be imminent as it involves I am sure the API's of Tidal and Qobuz to build a superior interface .

I am betting that even though the LMS will remain beta the team will continue to make improvements to it until a new user interface can be developed

I can't speak for the team but my bet is that it won't be imminent as it involves I am sure the API's of Tidal and Qobuz to build a superior interface .

I am betting that even though the LMS will remain beta the team will continue to make improvements to it until a new user interface can be developed
We are on the waiting list for API and key conversations / discussions with the various streaming providers

We are on the waiting list for API and key conversations / discussions with the various streaming providers

that's cool................more time to optimize the sound with the new USB card!

For those beta TAS users who have audiophile switches, have you compared listening with No Switch to Straight Ethernet or Fiber? I think so far we've only heard from two users: one reports better with switch and the other no difference with or without.

I'm going to compare two options:
1. Router > Sonore OM > Fiber > eRegen > Lan > Melco S100 > Fiber > EXT
2. Router > Sonore OM > Fiber > EXT

Opinions about best fiber optic for audio sound quality: glass, plastic or the same?

For those beta TAS users who have audiophile switches, have you compared listening with No Switch to Straight Ethernet or Fiber? I think so far we've only heard from two users: one reports better with switch and the other no difference with or without.

I'm going to compare two options:
1. Router > Sonore OM > Fiber > eRegen > Lan > Melco S100 > Fiber > EXT

In 1. you have Copper > Fiber > Copper > Fiber > EXT
In 2. you have Copper > Fiber > EXT

So you have in:
1. TWO switches and TWO conversions from Copper to Fiber
2. NO switch and ONE conversion from Copper to Fiber

Sorry, tbh it is an apples to oranges comparison.

Edit:
From the data points of this thread the Sonore OM seems to be the best FMC.
So it would makes sense to have this device directly before Extreme: Sonore OM > Fiber > EXT
In my understanding to compare the impact of switches they should then be best placed upstream to the Sonore OM:

1. Router > Switch1 > Copper > Switch2 > Copper > Sonore OM > Fiber > EXT

vs

In both 1. and 2. you have now only one conversion from Copper to Fiber.

Matt

Last edited:
I think in my setup, I'm more simply trying to compare with or without the Melco switch:

1. Router > lan > OM > FO (70') > eRegen > lan > Melco > EXT

2. Router> lan > OM > FO > EXT

The eRegen in option 2 functions only as another FMC so that the Melco can be in the chain.
I could, however, switch up the FMC set up and put the eRegen first and the OM second.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing