Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sounds like you went to Coronation Park in June 1970.
It was actually this show

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Tomorrow is the 44th anniversary of my first show, 4/30/77. Yesterday I hung out with my childhood friend for the first time in 18 months. We went to this show together and listened to it again yesterday.

this month was the 48th anniversary of my first show 4/2/73 at the Boston Garden.
it was a 5 hour show and boston transportation shut down around 12:30, so i was hitchhiking home
at 2am. my second show was the justly famous watkins glen soundcheck.

as for Cornell, i'm one of the few skeptics as i've never really enjoyed that show (ymmv).
other shows around that time were much stronger, imho, including 4/23/77 at the Springfield Civic Center
which i saw. i had a 7 1/2 ips 3600' reel-reel 2nd gen audience recording by a classmate ScottS that was superb
and superior to any other version of that show that i've heard since, including the soundboard. the tape stretched over the years
and died a noble death the next year after being the late night stax headphone soundtrack to writing up my thesis.

Reactions: iain and dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
this month was the 48th anniversary of my first show 4/2/73 at the Boston Garden.
it was a 5 hour show and boston transportation shut down around 12:30, so i was hitchhiking home
at 2am. my second show was the justly famous watkins glen soundcheck.

as for Cornell, i'm one of the few skeptics as i've never really enjoyed that show (ymmv).
other shows around that time were much stronger, imho, including 4/23/77 at the Springfield Civic Center
which i saw. i had a 7 1/2 ips 3600' reel-reel 2nd gen audience recording by a classmate ScottS that was superb
and superior to any other version of that show that i've heard since, including the soundboard. the tape stretched over the years
and died a noble death the next year after being the late night stax headphone soundtrack to writing up my thesis.

4/2/73 is a great show. Lots of really good ones in the spring of '77 in addition to Barton Hall.

Reactions: cat6man

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
OK, somewhat bizarre question: is there a way for the Extreme to work with an HDMI input? I want to use REW acoustics software to analyze my system/room, and it needs an HDMI feed to push its signal out, and my only digital is the Extreme/Pacific tandem. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? TIA!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
OK, somewhat bizarre question: is there a way for the Extreme to work with an HDMI input? I want to use REW acoustics software to analyze my system/room, and it needs an HDMI feed to push its signal out, and my only digital is the Extreme/Pacific tandem. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? TIA!

i use a usb==>hdmi adapter to connect my laptop to a video projector.
i'd assume you could do something like that as long as the extreme's usb driver accepts the adapter.
emile should be able to guide you on that

tpsully99

VIP/Donor
Jan 11, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
You should be able to use USB out from your computer into your DAC (at least that's how I run REW)

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
4/2/73 is a great show. Lots of really good ones in the spring of '77 in addition to Barton Hall.
My 20th birthday, alas I was on the West Coast. 5/20, 6/30 and 7/1 (1973) were all pretty good shows I did manage to attend though, though not my first by several years.

I had Jerry Moore's recording of 4/23/77 within a few weeks of the show; it has since had a pretty good transfer to digital by dminches :)

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
A friend developing his own server using Squeezelite like TAS shared a "plug-in" which might enrich the musical experience for some so I thought I would share it here. (apologies if it has been shared previously)
It's called "Music and Artist Information" in the server settings.

Go to Server setting at top right corner with the 3 vertical dots
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.08.07 pm.png

Click down arrow next to Basic Settings top left
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.08.34 pm.png

Scroll down and select Plugins
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.08.56 pm.png

Scroll down to 3rd party plugins and select "Musical and Artist Information"
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.09.14 pm.png

You then need to save settings and you will be prompted to "restart server now" at top of screen below.

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.26.59 pm.png

As an example, the you select a track, press the "i" button at top right next to volume control.
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.11.03 pm.png

You will now see artist information and album review if available. Click the "i" again to turn it off.
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.11.13 pm.png
Not sure if it affects sound quality but it doesn't seem processor/network intensive.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
A friend developing his own server using Squeezelite like TAS shared a "plug-in" which might enrich the musical experience for some so I thought I would share it here. (apologies if it has been shared previously)
It's called "Music and Artist Information" in the server settings'

<snip>

Scroll down to 3rd party plugins and select "Musical and Artist Information"
View attachment 77529

Not sure if it affects sound quality but it doesn't seem processor/network intensive.
Thanks for the tip about music and artist information. I see you have also checked "Don't Stop The Music". Have you gotten this to work? In my case when I get to the end of the play queue it just starts over again at the top of the queue and doesn't add new music.

Thanks!

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
One of the settings is the amount of RAM available for the database “Database Memory Config” which is located under the server setting “performance.”

Mine was set to “high” but with a library of over 50,000 tracks it recommends “maximum”. Has anyone bothered to do this and is there any reason not to do this?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
One of the settings is the amount of RAM available for the database “Database Memory Config” which is located under the server setting “performance.”

Mine was set to “high” but with a library of over 50,000 tracks it recommends “maximum”. Has anyone bothered to do this and is there any reason not to do this?
I am over 70k songs.
Mine was lower value by defult.
Tied it once with „High” and got back to middle setting.
I strongly prefer the lower value.

It simply books to much Ram just for the database as Edward explained.
That is a reson the high is little worst in SQ, but it is quick in action I must say.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am over 70k songs.
Mine was lower value by defult.
Tied it once with „High” and got back to middle setting.
I strongly prefer the lower value.

It simply books to much Ram just for the database as Edward explained.
That is a reson the high is little worst in SQ, but it is quick in action I must say.

Even with 48 GB of RAM the high setting allocates too much to the database? Is there some way to tell how much is being allocated?

@EuroDriver

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
USB driver finally installed...
Had been away from my system for the past couple months and catching up on this thread. Finally ordered the new USB drive in great anticipation of getting back home. Spent the past few days reacquainting myself with the sound and then popped in the new USB driver yesterday. Could not wait to have a listen this morning with my coffee.

My expectations were tempered as the board only has 20 hours on it and I had to fully unplug the Extreme to install it. I know there have been many superlatives about this driver already, but I was not prepared... o_O

Queued up a few songs and man... I have never experienced such realism. Closing my eyes on Ophelie Gaillard's Vivaldi, I. Allegro (a rec from this thread. Thank you!) the musicians settled into my living room turned concert hall. Each instrument so present - spatiality, depth, soundstage perfect. Felt like I could walk with my eyes closed the exact distance to where each musician was playing. The texture of the strings is palpable and intoxicating. Liquidity galore. Absolutely entrancing and joyful. I mean things sounded great before, but this...deeply moving. (I still have the M12 Gold in the chain but will rerun the comparison, again, with and without, now that the USB driver is installed.)

Thanks again to the team's relentless effort to not just recreate incredible music but to thaw emotions that may have been chilled for too long - a great privilege for sure. Looking forward to the next 100 hours.

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Have any Extreme owners experienced an issue with Qobuz that wont allowed to browse music in TAS?. Tidal is working very good on TAS.
Also Qobuz and Tidal both work and sound very good on Roon, but like the SQ of TAS better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing