Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

This is a valid observation and I understand what you are describing in terms of relative differences as I have also experienced such differences in the past and present when comparing USB to AES/EBU (with non--Taiko gear). The thing is that USB is highly reliant on the implementation and quality of the interfaces on both ends. I can't speak for Nagra as I have no personal experience with the brand but I do know that the USB interface on the Extreme is built to relay the best sound quality possible, both technically as well as musically. The large majority of users seem to agree but don't let that discourage you! I always advocate for anyone to use the connection method that works best according to their own ears. If it sounds great, don't worry about it and enjoy the music! :)

but sourcing the 'best usb' is only 1/2 the equation and the result depends on the receiving end as well.
it is certainly possible that some dacs sound better with their aes/ebu input than with a usb input.

consider, for example, Taiko's own totaldac d1-12mk2. it consists of multiple parts and while the extreme feeds that package of boxes via usb, the totaldac takes that usb, reclocks it and feeds the DAC section via aes/ebu. so it is a matter of choice how one considers the system to be partitioned. the d1-12mk2 can be considered as a 'reclocker' followed by a 'dac section'

[extreme] usb==>[reclocker + dac section]

or

[extreme usb==>reclocker] aes/ebu ==> [dac section]

one d1-12 user here actually uses

[extreme usb==>reclocker==>reclocker] aes/ebu ==> [dac section]
and finds the second reclocker (aes/ebu in and out) to be significant.

whether or not the reclocker is considered to be part of the DAC or not is really semantics.
you would have to bypass the reclocker and feed the extreme usb output directly into the DAC section of the totaldac to make
a fair usb vs. aes/ebu comparison.

of course, YMMV.
enjoy the music, i am! (well, in between those $@* gaps)

Reactions: Raker24
My Extreme just arrived! Can someone PM me what the likely username and password is so I can transfer my music files from another PC on the network? I don’t want to bother the Taiko Team in case they have a long weekend coming up…
Gracias.

My Extreme just arrived! Can someone PM me what the likely username and password is so I can transfer my music files from another PC on the network? I don’t want to bother the Taiko Team in case they have a long weekend coming up…
Gracias.
User name is administrator, password is SoundTest. Do your best on your own but don't be afraid to ask for help in the next couple of days. And download the Taiko user manual. Congrats and good luck!

User name is administrator, password is SoundTest. Do your best on your own but don't be afraid to ask for help in the next couple of days. And download the Taiko user manual. Congrats and good luck!
Thank you! Yes, I think I will need help with TAS... but at least I have Roon to start with right now.
What a Glorious Beast the Extreme is! I opened the top and it's quite something to behold. I had seen photos of course, but there's nothing quite like seeing it first-hand.

Thank you! Yes, I think I will need help with TAS... but at least I have Roon to start with right now.
What a Glorious Beast the Extreme is! I opened the top and it's quite something to behold. I had seen photos of course, but there's nothing quite like seeing it first-hand.
yes, but don't drop anything in there! Put the top back on.

Gracias.
Congratulations! I predict you are going to love your Extreme (pretty safe prediction, that!).

I wouldn't worry too much about "bothering" the folks at Taiko -- they fully expect and want to assist new owners get off to the best start possible.

Two years ago I was much like you -- I didn't want to bother Emile and company for hand-holding but Emile told me it was part of the purchase. I still did a bunch of stuff myself as much to learn how and get familiar with my new server, to the bemusement of Emile who expected to transfer my library to the Extreme and other housekeeping chores.

Enjoy!

Steve Z

Ive never used this before. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but when I transfer files to the Extreme I do It using finder on my Mac and then I drag and drop the file into a link on my desktop called “my music” and that’s it

Reactions: oldmustang
Ive never used this before. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but when I transfer files to the Extreme I do It using finder on my Mac and then I drag and drop the file into a link on my desktop called “my music” and that’s it
Steve, this must be because Taiko probably logged in remotely the first time and saved the login credentials on your Mac. The first time you connect to the Extreme, you need to enter those login details. But then they can be saved, like any other login password. At least that's how it is setup now...

Steve, this must be because Taiko probably logged in remotely the first time and saved the login credentials on your Mac. The first time you connect to the Extreme, you need to enter those login details. But then they can be saved, like any other login password. At least that's how it is setup now...
Hi Surge1, Do I understand correctly that you are able to drag and drop files from your Mac onto the Extreme, or do you need assistance?

Surge

im a set it and forget it guy. I never puhtz with the Extreme. I promise you this though….. it will forever change how you listen to music. IMO it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread

Reactions: Zeotrope
Hi Surge1, Do I understand correctly that you are able to drag and drop files from your Mac onto the Extreme, or do you need assistance?
There you go….. Taiko customer service reaching out to you. There is no other company I know of who provides such amazing customer service.

Reactions: Armsan and Zeotrope
I’m good, thank you. I’m actually using an external HD to transfer the files - it’s too slow over my home network.
I found the same as well as transfer rate is 100mb/sec IIRC. When Emile visited me several years ago he used the extreme to transfer the files as he said the transfer rate is 1 gb/sec.
Before he got there it had taken me days to transfer a small fraction of my files. Not sure what or how Emile did it but we went to sleep after he did this and when I awakened the next morning my entire library was no residing in the Extreme

I’m good, thank you. I’m actually using an external HD to transfer the files - it’s too slow over my home network.
Ok, good to hear! Yes, depending on the HDD's and their interface inside the computer as well as the network interface, network transfer can take a long time with large libraries. I normally just let it run overnight. Happy listening!

I found the same as well as transfer rate is 100mb/sec IIRC. When Emile visited me several years ago he used the extreme to transfer the files as he said the transfer rate is 1 gb/sec.
Before he got there it had taken me days to transfer a small fraction of my files. Not sure what or how Emile did it but we went to sleep after he did this and when I awakened the next morning my entire library was no residing in the Extreme
Hi Steve, could it have been simply that you were using a non-Gigabit ethernet switch? That would explain the 100Mb limit.

Thank you!
Honestly, even if the Extreme wasn't the best performing device on the market, it would be worth it for this Community and the way Taiko operates.

First impressions: surprised at how big a difference the server/streamer makes! (I know it's all been said before...). Much wider and more '3D' soundstage... this is compared to a MacBook Pro as an endpoint for a Roon Core running on a Mac Pro.

Hi Steve, could it have been simply that you were using a non-Gigabit ethernet switch? That would explain the 100Mb limit.
I don’t use any switches. I was running my Mac via Ethernet into my router. I have no idea what Emile did. Waking up the next morning and finding all my files were transferred was amazing

I don’t use any switches. I was running my Mac via Ethernet into my router. I have no idea what Emile did. Waking up the next morning and finding all my files were transferred was amazing
I see! Oh well, I guess that's just the Magic of Emile, then:)

Reactions: ctydwn
I'm the poster child for what happens when you try to do it all yourself, rather than let Emile and team make it easier for you.

I generally add music to my Extreme's onboard storage by one of two multi-step processes, utilizing the Mac's pull-down menu and selecting either "Network" or "Server", navigating to the Extreme, signing in via the log-in/password, and finally selecting the appropriate folder.

The upside is I can select which folder (directory) I want to add my music to -- DSD, PCM or PGGB -- but the downside is it is a multi-step process and not a one-click drag and drop.

Steve

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing