Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Yes, I got the power button to light up but double beep never happens. I have no dac available at present. I am waiting for my new dac. Was just powering on to see what’s new on Roon. If dac not connected would that cause this issue?
I have sent you an email with a procedure to try out

Last edited:
I agree about auto reassign IP address. I have had that several times recently
when you open TAS., click the arrow to the right of your Extreme serial number and this will give you the IP address. I found I had to close and reopen TAS and then click the arrow to see the new IP address

when you open TAS., click the arrow to the right of your Extreme serial number and this will give you the IP address. I found I had to close and reopen TAS and then click the arrow to see the new IP address
But how is it going to do what you say if the Extreme doesn't turn on?

Reactions: bryans
The Windows Web App runs as a standalone app. It is in addition to the dedicated iOS and Android apps.
Will XDMS support multiple UIs? TAS limits me to a single iPad. I’d like to use whichever device I have handy to select/control music.

Will XDMS support multiple UIs? TAS limits me to a single iPad. I’d like to use whichever device I have handy to select/control music.

I use TAS on 2 iPads and my iphone.

Reactions: nonesup
With XDMS, you can swap from one control device to the other. For instance, when starting playback from Android, you can take over control from an iPad or the Windows application or vice versa. In my tests so far, it even works with multiple interfaces simultaneously, but that is not recommended as it is not ideal for the stability or sound quality.

Reactions: ACHiPo
Regarding XDMS, I understand that it can work on SGM EVO as well.. Is my understanding correct? And the initial release of XDMS can be installed on EVO without modification? I assume it is the same codebase as the one to be installed in Extreme, right ?

Thanks for the info

Regarding XDMS, I understand that it can work on SGM EVO as well.. Is my understanding correct? And the initial release of XDMS can be installed on EVO without modification? I assume it is the same codebase as the one to be installed in Extreme, right ?

Thanks for the info
SGM Evo's are part of the Taiko family

But the handful of Evo Owners will need to wait patiently in line

Reactions: rocco1113

another thing to look for, as i just now experienced it.

after a short power hit last night, this afternoon i had to hit the front button, and it booted up fine.

i tried to connect TAS, and nada, server not found.
i then checked the ip address and it was still at the same location.
lastly, i clicked the arrow on the TAS landing page, and it said it found the extreme but not the TAS server.
hmmmm, this sounds familiar but what was it? i know i've been here before.

a light bulb goes off and i remember that the default after a power recycle is to come up in roon, which is why the
TAS app can't connect to the music server.
a quick change to the TAS server, select a player, and i'm back.

after a short power hit last night, this afternoon i had to hit the front button, and it booted up fine.

lastly, i clicked the arrow on the TAS landing page, and it said it found the extreme but not the TAS server.

a light bulb goes off and i remember that the default after a power recycle is to come up in roon, which is why the
I also had a power failure and didn’t have to do this. I just force quit the TAS app and it found the Extreme.

I have TAS also on my iPhone, and iPad
Interesting. It only works on one of my Apple devices at a time. It's somewhat moot, however, as when I returned from a trip having turned my Extreme off for a few days (with the front panel switch), I couldn't get TAS to start up. I switched to Roon, which works great and sounded wonderful last night. I'm gonna stick with Roon until XDMS is ready.

I had a similar experience last night after turning off the front panel switch while I was away for a few days. The TAS server was not found. I tried a few things in the control panel before giving up and moving back to Roon, which sounded sublime last night. I think I'm done with TAS.

I had a similar experience last night after turning off the front panel switch while I was away for a few days. The TAS server was not found. I tried a few things in the control panel before giving up and moving back to Roon, which sounded sublime last night. I think I'm done with TAS.
Be patient little grasshopper. TAS app expires in 20 days and I’m hoping Ed will be correct when he said this was the last renewal to TAS

So Im hoping Christmas shows up in September this year

Reactions: ACHiPo
I also had a power failure and didn’t have to do this. I just force quit the TAS app and it found the Extreme.
Some folks have their Extremes set up to default to Roon on power up, some don't. Sounds as if you're one that doesn't go back to Roon on a start or re-start.

Steve Z

Reactions: Zeotrope and ctydwn
Some folks have their Extremes set up to default to Roon on power up, some don't. Sounds as if you're one that doesn't go back to Roon on a start or re-start.

Steve Z

I didn't know that was a selectable option.

No, it didn't! Well, what does that look like?

It comes up in roon player mode, and won't connect to TAS until you go into app and re-select TAS server, then select player.

I often like to listen in comparative mode (e.g. same - classical - composition by different performers, or same performer / composer over a certain repertoire, etc.), typically streamng, and Roon search and ranking, plus immediate playback start at clicking play is sooo enjoyable.

That said, I am curious about XDMS as everybody else, and I will sure love it (based on TAS already critical performances) for critical listening or playing locally stored albums.

Once the main bases will be covered, starting from a consistently superior sound quality, stable functioning, gapless (or as close to gapless as possible) playback, polished and streamlined GUI, clean and accurate simple data search and presentation, etc., my most desired next implementations would be:

- partial track buffering for prompt playback start (buffering a whole track is too long of a wait in my use scenario, destroys user experience for example with symphonies where the gap from one movement to the other can be of half a minute or even more);
- streaming YouTube audio while watching videos on my laptop or tablet
- state-of-the-art upsampling (PGGB realtime integration?)
- intelligent search algorithm and search results ranking / organization
- state-of-the-art crossfeed (being mostly a headphones user)

I know I am a bit rushing ahead, but one can always dream, no? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing