Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I often like to listen in comparative mode (e.g. same - classical - composition by different performers, or same performer / composer over a certain repertoire, etc.), typically streamng, and Roon search and ranking, plus immediate playback start at clicking play is sooo enjoyable.

That said, I am curious about XDMS as everybody else, and I will sure love it (based on TAS already critical performances) for critical listening or playing locally stored albums.

Once the main bases will be covered, starting from a consistently superior sound quality, stable functioning, gapless (or as close to gapless as possible) playback, polished and streamlined GUI, clean and accurate simple data search and presentation, etc., my most desired next implementations would be:

- partial track buffering for prompt playback start (buffering a whole track is too long of a wait in my use scenario, destroys user experience for example with symphonies where the gap from one movement to the other can be of half a minute or even more);
- streaming YouTube audio while watching videos on my laptop or tablet
- state-of-the-art upsampling (PGGB realtime integration?)
- intelligent search algorithm and search results ranking / organization
- state-of-the-art crossfeed (being mostly a headphones user)

I know I am a bit rushing ahead, but one can always dream, no? :)
All noted for internal discussion, once XDMS is fully up and running. Can't make any promises though...

Some folks have their Extremes set up to default to Roon on power up, some don't. Sounds as if you're one that doesn't go back to Roon on a start or re-start.

Steve Z
There may also be some variation but by default, the server should start Roon after a reboot. The TAS app then allows the user to switch between Roon and TAS. In some cases, by special request, the default was changed to TAS, meaning that Roon does not start by default. When we roll out XDMS, the procedure will be standardized and straightforward.

Hi all, in lieu of the XDMS rollout for which work is continuing around the clock, herewith, I present two screenshots from the Apple Mac XDMS Remote Client. It's not 100 finished yet, but it works and operates just like the Windows XDMS Remote Client, offering all of the functionality that is also in the iOS and Android apps.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 12.07.37.jpgScreen Shot 2022-09-08 at 12.06.56.png

Hi Christiaan. Would Taiko advise uninstalling ROON for optimum performance when XDMS is released?

Hi Christiaan. Would Taiko advise uninstalling ROON for optimum performance when XDMS is released?
While there may be further gains in doing so, ATM, the consensus is that this is not required. I've done all my XDMS tests with Roon still installed but with its service not started.

Hook and sinker, they say.

I had ordered aTaiko extreme, Sablon power, ethernet, usb cable and center stage 2 footers.
Hopefully next week the Taiko will arrive, as the last piece of the puzzle.

In my current setup it will be on center stage 2 footers on an oak wood floor. The parquet is glued to the floor, nothing resonates.

Would you recommend putting it with the cs footers
- directly on the parquet?
- add another layer of whatever on the floor?

I have here a piece of slate, damped on the underside with terosone (automotive heavy damping stuff), which was quite ok under turntables with a layer of bamboo underneath.
Would that help or do more harm?
Fooling around with these things is not that good for my aching back, so your advice is highly welcome:)

I had ordered aTaiko extreme, Sablon power, ethernet, usb cable and center stage 2 footers.

In my current setup it will be on center stage 2 footers on an oak wood floor. The parquet is glued to the floor, nothing resonates.

I have here a piece of slate, damped on the underside with terosone (automotive heavy damping stuff), which was quite ok under turntables with a layer of bamboo underneath.
Fooling around with these things is not that good for my aching back, so your advice is highly welcome:)
This is a very personal matter, there is no single "best" method. I'm afraid you will only find out by trying the options. That said, I can say that direct floor placement will usually yield a more natural performance, slightly more relaxed and more free-flowing, than placement on a slab of stone, which will tighten things up down below but usually also add a little forwardness in the upper mid. I've no experience with the CS footers just yet, but my guess would be that they are equally influenced by underlayment materials as other footers that I have tried such as Ceraballs, Cerapucs, Stillpoints, and others. Generally, I would avoid placing any audio components on a layer of damping material, even if that material is covered by a heavy stone-like material, as this tends to add softness and a reduction in the perceived speed, but on this, opinions vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: engadin
Hi Christiaan,

some decades ago I had fooled around with marble. A sonic desaster.
Then ss1 granite. 14cm thick slabs on spikes. Sicomin had recommended granite under their platforms.
Oh my. Bright, thin, fast, very controlled bass. Turntable, amps, anything. Unbearable without Sicomin.
Sicomin needed their carbon discs under their platforms on granite, still bright and thin.

This 3 layer slate-teroson-bamboo was very different under my tt.
I had it on top of stillpoints thingies. More stillpoints under tt.
Dark, warm, lots of bass. Maybe too dark. Dynamics slightly restricted.

I think I‘ll put the Taiko extreme on cs footers on the wooden floor.

Thx for your input!

Hi Christiaan,

some decades ago I had fooled around with marble. A sonic desaster.
Then ss1 granite. 14cm thick slabs on spikes. Sicomin had recommended granite under their platforms.
Oh my. Bright, thin, fast, very controlled bass. Turntable, amps, anything. Unbearable without Sicomin.
Sicomin needed their carbon discs under their platforms on granite, still bright and thin.

This 3 layer slate-teroson-bamboo was very different under my tt.
I had it on top of stillpoints thingies. More stillpoints under tt.
Dark, warm, lots of bass. Maybe too dark. Dynamics slightly restricted.

Thx for your input!
I think that's the safest bet!

Otherwise, I stumbled onto the Wurth Viking Arms recently and got a pair. They are fantastic, you can lift and lower very heavy objects with ease and precision. I wish I had gotten them decades ago!

https://www.vikingarm.com/

...on the topic of heavy lifting, I recommend these shim bags for various lifting and repositioning needs. I have used them for years. Very versatile. Should be available outside of US too, as it is an accepted concept in building (and quarrying).

you will have absolutely no problem with your Center Stage footers used in the manner you mentioned.I hope you got the CS2M Size 1.5 for the Extreme

Reactions: engadin
Yes, CS 2M 1.5
Two sets. The first set under Stromtank S2500Q II since yesterday.

Attachments

• 05260FFF-291A-4B01-85ED-55404FA517E6.jpeg
    05260FFF-291A-4B01-85ED-55404FA517E6.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 9

Don't be fooled.....Everything resonates

Reactions: adyc and engadin
„Don't be fooled.....Everything resonates“
Kingsrule said.

True.

mySqueezebox.com overhaul is still ongoing
Did Tidal play again and then go away? I've spent the last couple of weeks fumbling my way back into vinyl so I haven't noticed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing