Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Well, three days away from the thread and I am completely lost! What is the page address for ordering? When can we expect the switch using the current standard finish to be shipped if ordered now?

Happy New Year!
I copied a few of Emile’s posts describing the Switch here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-844275

Order page is here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...treme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-844091

Enjoy reading about the other ground-breaking innovations! It’s a bit overwhelming, but all great!

That was exactly me 1,5 years ago when ordering my Extreme online. VAT added a switch like little tip. :pBut then I realized since every country (even state) has differing VAT it makes sense to have prices quoted without VAT.
Oh yes, I'm not complaining that the price was expressed without VAT, the reason he exposes is logical. I just "complain" about the bloody 21% IVA.

We use the DAC cable to connect the switch to the Extreme. What about the connection between our existing router to the switch? Use a standard Cat 6 cable? Is the DAC just a Cat 6 cable ? Sorry a bit confused here

Is there a SQ difference between:
1. SFP RJ45 Copper (DAC) cable with predetermined length up to 7m
vs.
2. SFP with RJ45 Copper port + CAT5/6/7 cable (select different CAT5/6/7 cables to achieve desired length)

Amazing work Emile @Taiko Audio - clearly the fruits of many long and arduous nights/days of listening to an insane number of permutations on the switch/router theme!

Hate to switch focus away from all this excitement for a second, but now I have my new Horizon, I have a question for @EuroDriver or others who use XDMS.

With TAS, when playing DSD I notice that TAS will transiently drop back into PCM between DSD tracks (for instance when you hit next track or previous track). With some DACs this results in a "pop" of varying loudness.

Does XDMS still drop back into PCM between DSD tracks?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

The new technology interface card is CPU / PCIe direct to DAC - Analogue out AND CPU / PCIe direct to SPDIF (with rca, bnc and toslink connectors)

It does not replace the USB card

Its exciting technology leading to a whole range if future technologies.
Hi Emile,

You are an erupting Innovation volcano!
Big thanks and congrats!

I'm so happy that Lampizator/MSB/Totaldac are willing to collaborate with you on the new Extreme interface card.

I would like to ask one question :
If there are the USB card and new ethernet card installed in the Extreme already, there seems to be no spare PCIe socket for the coming Extreme interface card?
Do the usb card have to be removed to make room for the new interface card?

Many thanks!

Emile.. My DAC is not network capable. I assume the switch+network card still has significant impact on the sound quality? BTW, I only play from local folders - thanks

We use the DAC cable to connect the switch to the Extreme. What about the connection between our existing router to the switch? Use a standard Cat 6 cable? Is the DAC just a Cat 6 cable ? Sorry a bit confused here
You may use unshielded twisted pair copper ethernet cable with RJ45 ends if that is what you are using now. If your existing router has an SFP cage you may use a passive DAC cable *if* the distance between your existing router and where you will put the Taiko switch is 7 meters or less. Taiko will include an SFP specific for RJ45 with the switch if that is what you specify. If you plan to go with a passive DAC cable from router to Taiko switch and the distance is less than 7 meters you can specify that in the notes when you order on the Taiko website or with your dealer.

A passive DAC cable is generally twinaxial copper (I haven't come across any that are other construction, but I haven't extensively researched this) and is not a Cat 6 cable.

Steve Z

You may use unshielded twisted pair copper ethernet cable with RJ45 ends if that is what you are using now. If your existing router has an SFP cage you may use a passive DAC cable *if* the distance between your existing router and where you will put the Taiko switch is 7 meters or less. Taiko will include an SFP specific for RJ45 with the switch if that is what you specify. If you plan to go with a passive DAC cable from router to Taiko switch and the distance is less than 7 meters you can specify that in the notes when you order on the Taiko website or with your dealer.

A passive DAC cable is generally twinaxial copper (I haven't come across any that are other construction, but I haven't extensively researched this) and is not a Cat 6 cable.

Steve Z
Steve I was under the impression Emile veered from UTP Cat6 twisted ethernet (unshielded) with the new switch. Perhaps I misunderstood? Lots of in coming information. I do know previously, he was a proponent of Cat 6 unshielded. He'll have to elaborate.

Last edited:
There is no VAT in Hong Kong!
Most welcome WBF members to ome visit us for the delicious Chinese cuisines and for tax-free shopping.
:D

Reactions: oldmustang
Guys, as benign as it may seen, discussion of taxes and government spending falls under the category of politics and is not permitted.

Steve I was under the impression Emile veered from UTP Cat6 twisted ethernet (unshielded) with the new switch. Perhaps I misunderstood? Lots of in coming information. I do know previously, he was a proponent of Cat 6 unshielded. He'll have to elaborate.
From switch to network card the cable is passive DAC cable (<7.0 meters). That is a change specific to the switch/network card combination.

Into the Taiko switch from the rest of your local area network can still be RJ-45 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) commonly CAT5, 5e or unshielded CAT6.

However, if and when someone purchases the Taiko router, they can continue to use RJ-45 from Taiko router to Taiko switch, or if the Taiko router and switch can be connected with a passive DAC cable < 7.0m the two can be connected by passive DAC for a slight improvement in sound quality.

Clear as mud?

Steve Z

From switch to network card the cable is passive DAC cable (<7.0 meters). That is a change specific to the switch/network card combination.

Into the Taiko switch from the rest of your local area network can still be RJ-45 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) commonly CAT5, 5e or unshielded CAT6.

However, if and when someone purchases the Taiko router, they can continue to use RJ-45 from Taiko router to Taiko switch, or if the Taiko router and switch can be connected with a passive DAC cable < 7.0m the two can be connected by passive DAC for a slight improvement in sound quality.

Clear as mud?

Steve Z
I understand the Passive DAC Cable. I must have gotten my wires crossed (or cables). I thought Emile referenced something different from the router to the switch. I get RJ45 but I thought he said NON UTP.

The bottom line is you INSERT the switch between the network cable you currently use and the Extreme. Then you can also get the new SFP networkcard.

Scenario A: You purchase the Network card and the Switch package which includes a DAC cable

Option 1: You currently use a cat5 or cat6 or cat7 or cat8 / UTP or STP network cable with RJ45 connectors, also often referred to as a copper network cable, you remove that from the Extreme, plug it into the switch and connect the switch to the Extreme with the DAC cable.

Option 2: You currently use fiber into the Extreme. You remove the fiber cable from the Extreme, plug it into the Switch and connect the switch to the Extreme with the DAC cable.

Scenario B: You purchase the Switch but not the network card.

Option 1: You currently use a cat5 or cat6 or cat7 or cat8 / UTP or STP network cable with RJ45 connectors, also often referred to as a copper network cable, you remove that from the Extreme, plug it into the switch and connect the switch to the Extreme with another cat5 or cat6 or cat7 or cat8 / UTP or STP network cable with RJ45 connectors.

Option 2: You currently use fiber into the Extreme. You remove the fiber cable from the Extreme, plug it into the Switch and connect the switch to the Extreme with another fiber cable or a cat5 or cat6 or cat7 or cat8 / UTP or STP network cable with RJ45 connectors (which I would strongly recommend in that case).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing