Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The thing to note when removing the PCIe card- there’s a little clip at the back of the slot on the extreme which you have to unlock first by toggling it upwards. I didn’t do it at first and spent a long time wondering what was stuck.

One question here: Taiko Router to Taiko Switch uses RJ45? Not DAC cable?
As far as I know you can go with DAC cable from Router to switch
But there is only 1 SFP in Router , so modem to router with RJ 45.

There was a huge amount of work to be done to enable timely shipping and with much of the staff now on holiday, an instruction video may not materialize soon. Although... I heard through the grapevine that a combo may or may not be headed my way. This is TBC. If so, I will see if I can whip up an instruction vid.
There is a video for USB card installation on the Taiko website. Is the process for the network card materially different or is this a useful starting point?

As far as I know you can go with DAC cable from Router to switch
But there is only 1 SFP in Router , so modem to router with RJ 45.
That's what I thought too, but it's not what the picture says...

One question here: Taiko Router to Taiko Switch uses RJ45? Not DAC cable?
That's what I thought too, but it's not what the picture says...
The diagram illustrates the most common use cases. But indeed, between Taiko Router and Taiko Switch, both RJ45 and DAC can be used.

We're still testing the firmware and software and at this point, we do not yet have a definitive answer as to the preferred order of the connection methods from router to switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: jelt2359
There is a video for USB card installation on the Taiko website. Is the process for the network card materially different or is this a useful starting point?
The process is indeed similar. The only differences are to use slot 2 instead of slot 5 and replace the single DC cable with the split DC cable.

But if we are lucky it is possible to use one of the ports to act as an modem , but we would need to check the settings and to enter them into router.
than Router will act as modem and router at the same time.

Just a note on the file networkcard.ps1. When I downloaded the file to my Macbook it already unzipped the file so unzipping was not necessary. I just had to move the file to the Extreme Music folder and then drag and drop from the Extreme music folder to the Extreme desktop. Easy:)

Just a note on the file networkcard.ps1. When I downloaded the file to my Macbook it already unzipped the file so unzipping was not necessary. I just had to move the file to the Extreme Music folder and then drag and drop from the Extreme music folder to the Extreme desktop. Easy:)
I think this depends on the software you have installed on the Mac. I have a Macbook Air M1 with the latest OS and it does not automatically unzip on my end. In any case, as long as the .ps1 file is transferred and used, you will be ok either way. :)

The thing to note when removing the PCIe card- there’s a little clip at the back of the slot on the extreme which you have to unlock first by toggling it upwards. I didn’t do it at first and spent a long time wondering what was stuck.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, however this is where a video will be very helpful. I do understand the effort it took and is taking to get everything out the door. In the long run you will save time with a video...

Reactions: nonesup
I think this depends on the software you have installed on the Mac. I have a Macbook Air M1 with the latest OS and it does not automatically unzip on my end. In any case, as long as the .ps1 file is transferred and used, you will be ok either way. :)
I have an M1 MacBook Pro with Ventura 13.2.1 which was released in February 2023. Like you said no big deal, the Mac either unzips or doesn't either way it's good.

The diagram illustrates the most common use cases. But indeed, between Taiko Router and Taiko Switch, both RJ45 and DAC can be used.
Thanks- would it be fair to say that in order of best performance, from router to switch, the diagram should read:
1) DAC
2) RJ45
3) Fiber ?

Asking cos I'm wondering whether to sell all my RJ45's :)

IMG_1144.jpgThis is what the installed dual head splitter cable looks like.

400CDD51-A632-48FE-8AC6-A6579AB6DE65.jpeg
This clip at the base of the PCIe slot is what you need to toggle upwards (to unlock) before you can remove the old PCIe card. Toggle it down again (to lock) after you insert the new PCIe card.

A9AEA161-AB54-4945-916B-75D78B66DC4C.jpegSingle slot on the other end of the splitter cable

I can't find the video. Could you send the url?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing