Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Congratulations....

Can you give your opinion on whether or not the combo has equal impact on resident files compared to the likes of Qobuz using XDMS?

Thanks
Mn
I only listen to resident (local) files... No streaming.

A picture of this clip would be nice. (This is the sort of thing that would drive me nuts trying to figure out why something is "stuck").

That other picture was a blurry mess. It is a locking clip of the same type that has been used on nearly every motherboard for PCIe x16 and RAM retention going back many years.

Check-PCI-Express-PCIe-Version-Compatibility-.jpg

No, we are at about 65% shipped as of today.
How do I know if mine is in the first batch? Ordered by Ultimate Audio dated 12-31-2022
Number 22014

The sound is instantly more organic, sounds more natural, and yet retains the edge acuity. It just sounds much more organic doing it. Separation and sense of holography has increased a lot, and microdetail just flows. It sounds incredibly effortless. The midrange also now sounds beautifully expressive.

This is not one of those unnatural 'popping of details' type of change- everything sounds very natural, and the music ebbs and flows in a very coherent and balanced way. Then you listen closer and you realise that everything also sounds more detailed and easier to make out (aka clearer, but in the way where it feels you removed a window and saw the real thing). As different singers in a band sing, for example, you can more clearly hear their voice entering the sound stage from different places. The music is layered front to back, north to south, and east to west, beautifully.

As I listen to mainly pop music in redbook, one thing I look for is whether refinement increases- otherwise, my music tends to sound very harsh as it clips. This switch manages to make the music instantly both more dynamic and detailed, while still increasing refinement and not bringing it over the edge. Previously my Melco switches helped tame the harshness, but seemed to subtract some detail, which led me to try and add more and more transparency to counter it. I eventually sold both switches when the OS upgrade came along. This switch is definitely one step above and better.

No-brainer upgrade imo.

But tell us what you *really* think. Don't hold back!

Steve Z

Last edited:
Be careful unpacking as the switch is much heavier than you might expect based upon its size. You wouldn’t want to drop it on your toes, that’s for sure!

View attachment 105656
Nice picture -- you can even see the Extreme that Emile shrunk and stuffed into each switch. . .

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.31.42 AM.png

Steve Z

Last edited:
@christian

Have all 100 units in the first batch been shipped? I have not received a tracking notification.

Hate to tell you, yours fell off the back of the truck. If I find it I'll be sure to tell you though.

Steve Z

Hate to tell you, yours fell off the back of the truck. If I find it I'll be sure to tell you though.

Steve Z
that is ok with me steve.
you keep that one.
i've contacted the shipping company and they will send yours to me here in NJ today.

Your Tablet should be build 1219, your download speeds are fine. Mine was doing it with local files as well as streaming. I'm shooting in the dark here, perhaps power down your router for a few minutes and see if that corrects the issue...I did the same as Ed suggested, firstly I bypassed my M12 switch, but that was not the issue...Is your Extreme Roon build 1223? BTW when my issue occurred it was pausing with all Tracks, DSD,192, 96, etc...

that is ok with me steve.
you keep that one.
i've contacted the shipping company and they will send yours to me here in NJ today.
Too late -- already out for delivery (checking front porch right now!)

Steve Z

Reactions: Pokey77
Your Tablet should be build 1219, your download speeds are fine. Mine was doing it with local files as well as streaming. I'm shooting in the dark here, perhaps power down your router for a few minutes and see if that corrects the issue...I did the same as Ed suggested, firstly I bypassed my M12 switch, but that was not the issue...Is your Extreme Roon build 1223? BTW when my issue occurred it was pausing with all Tracks, DSD,192, 96, etc...
Hi John,
Yeah. My iPad(s) and iPhone are all on 1219 and my Extreme is 1223. It’s happened on 192 and 96 which are all Qobuz. I’m playing Tidal files now. 44.1kHz 16bit and 44kHz 24bit. So far no hiccup. I’m just going to keep eliminating the obvious until that’s exhausted.
BTW I have repowered from the cable modem out. Ghosts in the Machine.

My order #87040 was placed on 12/31/22. Am I in the first batch?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu