Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

We shipped your damaged part replacement Friday the 10th, the new brackets were manufactured the weekend of the 11th and 12th and shipped last week. If that didn’t arrive yet it’s still in transit.
When I asked if the bracket was in the package with the new part you told me it was ;)
I would like the tracking # so that I can ensure someone is here when it arrives.

When I asked if the bracket was in the package with the new part you told me it was ;)
I would like the tracking # so that I can ensure someone is here when it arrives.

You can reach out to support@taikoaudio.com for the tracking number in case you did not receive an e-mail from Fedex.

my bracket reached Newark, NJ's fedex hub last night.
presumably all the late U.S. brackets are there now.

My bracket is nowhere...left NL on the 17th...no update since

My bracket is nowhere...left NL on the 17th...no update since
I’m betting it’s in NJ. Updates on Fedex don’t usually occur on weekends. You can submit your email address and they will send you an update whenever it’s location changes

Reactions: Kingsrule
The “problem” is once you hear the new Network card, you can’t unhear it. At least I can’t. (And this is with local playback not streaming.)

I rode my neighbor hard thinking my bracket had arrived (and asked him to grab it while I was out of town), and cancelled a family function thinking today would be install day…!

I had one foot broken during shipping, and it damaged the threads on the Switch base plate.
Taiko sent a new set of feet and a new case base plate. The new switch bracket was supposed to be included but was not… hopefully it will arrive tomorrow but don’t have a tracking #. Although here in Toronto we should get them faster than LA, for example…

I recommended that Taiko ship the Switches with the 3 feet removed and let the customer screw them on.

Zeotrope,

Interesting! My Switch suffered the same shipping mishap. Package padding under the Switch somewhat crushed, foot unscrewed itself until it contacted the box, add 3 teaspoons of courier bashing and voilà… ruined mounting threads and foot. I was going to suggest to Taiko more robust padding, but your idea of shipping with the feet removed is better. Maybe do both?

My replacements haven’t shipped yet, but even without feet, without LPS, and with old network card, Extreme + Switch are sounding better than ever a week after connection.

Zeotrope,

Interesting! My Switch suffered the same shipping mishap. Package padding under the Switch somewhat crushed, foot unscrewed itself until it contacted the box, add 3 teaspoons of courier bashing and voilà… ruined mounting threads and foot. I was going to suggest to Taiko more robust padding, but your idea of shipping with the feet removed is better. Maybe do both?

My replacements haven’t shipped yet, but even without feet and without LPS, Extreme + Switch are sounding better than ever a week after connection.

Agreed. Unfortunately couriers can be horrible. The box is also too thin, mine arrived basically open at the taped seams. The Switch is double boxed but a thicker outer box would not be a bad idea. It’s very heavy so when it gets bashed around, the weight of the switch can break through the tape.

And are you running the new network card?

Reactions: Opabin
Agreed. Unfortunately couriers can be horrible. The box is also too thin, mine arrived basically open at the taped seams. The Switch is double boxed but a thicker outer box would not be a bad idea. It’s very heavy so when it gets bashed around, the weight of the switch can break through the tape.

And are you running the new network card?

No, I switched back to the original card when the new card lost connection after about one hour. Very similar to your experience, I suppose.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried either of these two LPS units with the Switch?
FARAD Super3 or Ferrum Hypsos?
If so, I would love to hear your impressions of the results. I’m shopping for an LPS and unlikely to have a chance for an audition before purchase.

Reactions: engadin
No, I switched back to the original card when the new card lost connection after about one hour. Very similar to your experience, I suppose.

The Switch + Old Card actually sounds very good, there's definitely an improvement, especially after a few days.

It will be well worth the wait -- minor inconveniences are nothing compared to a lifetime of having the opportunity to experience such phenomenal sound!

The Switch + Old Card actually sounds very good, there's definitely an improvement, especially after a few days.

It will be well worth the wait -- minor inconveniences are nothing compared to a lifetime of having the opportunity to experience such phenomenal sound!
Oh.. its going to be awesome for sure.

Zeotrope,

My replacements haven’t shipped yet, but even without feet, without LPS, and with old network card, Extreme + Switch are sounding better than ever a week after connection.
I had the same fate(inner box crushed and a foot came off). I was lucky that I was able to get the foot back in place with no issues. Its just some scratches on the top of the switch and a torn black box lid.

I had the same fate(inner box crushed and a foot came off). I was lucky that I was able to get the foot back in place with no issues. Its just some scratches on the top of the switch and a torn black box lid.
Definitely need gorilla proof packaging...
Mn

Please report to support@taikoaudio.com so we can arrange to ship you a replacement.

Very sorry to hear about the scratches. My case is slightly different because while your foot came free in the box, my foot only came *partially* unscrewed. When the bottom padding was crushed, the protruding foot contacted and even pushed out the corner of the black box. Presumably, when the courier dropped the box, that foot took the impact which damaged the screw and the threads in the Switch bottom plate.

I'm concerned about the strength of packaging for the Switch and the forthcoming Router. I'm no expert but feel the current packaging materials would be perfectly adequate for a component of say, 8 or 10 kg. maximum weight. Sixteen kilograms may be a little too much for that box. I will just add that while my network card arrived unscathed, some of the protective foam blocks had shifted out of position.

Of course, many of the packages arrived safely, but after hearing from theaudiogeek and Zeotrope, it’s clear that mine was not an isolated case. If all couriers handled heavy boxes with due care, we’d have little to worry about, but that is apparently unrealistic. I hope Taiko will consider some improvements to their packaging design for Switch and Router.

...that case should help a lot. I was able to chase the threads and get the foot installed A-OK.

f= m*a and that little switch has a BIG freakin' "a" as we know!

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing