Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio - Just received the message "TAS Beta has expired." Can't get TestFlight to renew it without a link in an email or an invitation code. I know this has happened before.

I'm hoping that TAS can be renewed since I generally prefer it to Roon. I would shift to XDMS but the large file issue and gapless issue have kept me from doing that. Can TAS be renewed?

Yes Wilson is working on it.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes. The card is disabled by the operating system after an hardware error threshold has been crossed. There are no problems while using the old SFP card.

Perhaps we should send back the network cards that produce the error to provide a larger sample size to replicate?

I had a feeling it was not the bracket; but my experience is limited when it comes to PC hardware.

Is there a way to override the OS and reset the HW error threshold error? Perhaps the fix can be done through software, at least for now?

alwayslearning

Jan 13, 2011

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I just spoke to one of my hardware engineers (my company invented a hardware device that is closely integrated with software that we've mass produced about 100K units of and shipped to 30 countries).

Some suggestions he had:
• try to disable PCI link power state management in windows power settings
• can you poll the hardware fault counter and force it to reset? Just as a stopgap until the root cause is identified
• disable or reset the autoconfig service for the card

I'll add to this if we have more thoughts.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Here's the "Extreme access toolkit" I use to move furniture and get at the Extreme.

Maybe this will make the job easier for some of you:
1. Wiha metric allen key set. Worth the investment for a good brand - you don't want to strip threads or deform a screw head.
• Extreme lid uses M4
• Ground screw uses M3

2. Scangrip headlamp

3. Furniture sliders

4. Winbag jacks
- make easy work of lifting heavy objects a few inches. Come in two sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7657.JPG
    IMG_7657.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 28

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi, any news about XMDS update? I know only the Taiko with roon and when everybody say is so much better with XMDS I feel sad
The status of XDMS is progressing steadily.

In the SQ department, the playback of stored file took a nice advance in September of 2022. We are working on further enhancements to the backend architecture that will deliver further SQ uplift

The scanning of the stored file library has reached the stage where over 98 percent of stored files are scanned accurately through the use of two metadata readers, one for PCM files, the other for DSD.

Streaming has been a major challenge but XDMS is now in the certification process by the Streaming Aggregator. XDMS Alpha installations will commence again, once the Streaming Certification is complete which is expected shortly.

XDMS now does household functions such as switching back and forth between XDMS and Roon, as well as rebooting the Extreme.

The essential pieces to allow XDMS progress from Alpha and Beta are essentially in place, with Streaming Certification coming which will allow XDMS to go into Beta.

This level of progress has been made possible in no small part by the Alpha Testers Group who find more bugs and faster than our developments teams own QA/QC

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
@Taiko Audio - Just received the message "TAS Beta has expired." Can't get TestFlight to renew it without a link in an email or an invitation code. I know this has happened before.

I'm hoping that TAS can be renewed since I generally prefer it to Roon. I would shift to XDMS but the large file issue and gapless issue have kept me from doing that. Can TAS be renewed?
It should be back in TestFlight tomorrow

BTW, the Android version of the TAS App, never expires

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The status of XDMS is progressing steadily.

In the SQ department, the playback of stored file took a nice advance in September of 2022. We are working on further enhancements to the backend architecture that will deliver further SQ uplift

The scanning of the stored file library has reached the stage where over 98 percent of stored files are scanned accurately through the use of two metadata readers, one for PCM files, the other for DSD.

Streaming has been a major challenge but XDMS is now in the certification process by the Streaming Aggregator. XDMS Alpha installations will commence again, once the Streaming Certification is complete which is expected shortly.

XDMS now does household functions such as switching back and forth between XDMS and Roon, as well as rebooting the Extreme.

The essential pieces to allow XDMS progress from Alpha and Beta are essentially in place, with Streaming Certification coming which will allow XDMS to go into Beta.

This level of progress has been made possible in no small part by the Alpha Testers Group who find more bugs and faster than our developments teams own QA/QC
A big thank you Ed. All who are involved in the alpha testing know that none of XDMS would be where it is now without Ed. Christiaan and their team. If you’re still using TAS get yourself on the waiting list for XDMS Beta. You won’t regret it

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Can someone summarize where we are with the latest Backend and App builds for XDMS? I’m a beta tester and on Discord but no one has replied there in over a week and I’m a bit confused:
• the latest backend version is March 01? And the latest iOS app requires this backend, correct?
• what is a Scanner build?
Things got a bit hard to follow with the “0340 update” and “March combo update”…

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Can someone summarize where we are with the latest Backend and App builds for XDMS? I’m a beta tester and on Discord but no one has replied and I’m a bit confused: the latest backend version is…? And the latest iOS app requires this backend, correct?
Latest App build is 2.2.28 which is internally known as v40

xdms.exe date is 25 Feb, 2023

xdplayer date is 9 Jan, 2023

Scanner.exe date is 25 Feb, but new scanner is expected to come tommorrow

Its best to have the latest

I am starting and Executables only thread tomorrow in Discord so it wil be easier for Alpha Testers to follow

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
News break --

Do yourself a favor. Queue up and listen to this track by my new favorite singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist and guitarist extraordinaire Tash Sultana:

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 6.53.16 PM.png

Pink Moon, from the album Flow State.

Play loud!

You can thank me later.

Steve Z

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I swapped the supplied SMPS out for a LPS that is a pretty generic Chinese-made "Studer 900" circuit, and the sound quality is definitely elevated by that change, on top of the switch and card goodness (I've been blessed with a fully operational card from the get-go). The LPS brings even greater immediacy and harmonic fullness to the sound. This really is moving this platform along! This is making the strongest case to go with the BPS, come that day.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Now this is a beautiful use of streaming . . . We can go on Qobuz and play the recommended track.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
News break --

Do yourself a favor. Queue up and listen to this track by my new favorite singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist and guitarist extraordinaire Tash Sultana:

View attachment 106358

Pink Moon, from the album Flow State.

Play loud!

You can thank me later.

Steve Z
Thank You now

Reactions: oldmustang

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Ed, I hope the Idagio unplayability resolution doesn't take too long.

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
Just to confirm, I also have the problem loosing connection after few minutes (after I changed the bracket). Connecting with VNC it actually looses connection very rapidly, 2-3 minutes.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
My switch and card have not yet shipped, but just brainstorming:
@Taiko Audio
Could it be 1) insufficient power or other power issue related to the splitter cable? A test would be to remove cable from usb card and run only the network card and see if that solves the dropouts.
Or
2) if there is significant dust buildup on the bottom of the PCIe slot - I remember seeing someone’s extreme with a thick layer of dust and the slots are not covered, which might explain some variability between owner to owner.
a spray of compressed air or electronic cleaner might help then?
3) IRQ conflict of some sort? Wondering for those still affected if temporarily switching the slot for the card to another extreme slot would fix it.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
As the replacement brackets have either been delivered, or are now in process of being delivered, mine is arriving tomorrow, should we just hold until we hear further information or should we try the new brackets with our existing cards?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing