Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Any chance of an update on XDMS status and when it might be ready for wider release?
XDMS is getting pretty close to the Beta Release. Qobuz and Tidal are at the paperwork completion stage with the funtional tests and event reporting meeting the specifications of Qobuz and Tidal.

There has been some serious upgrading of streaming security infrastructure which has taken time to code, but all very sensible in today's hacker environment.

A nice upgrade coming to the UI very shortly are photo images of most Artists which will be shown in the Artist view, no more grey discs.

The Alpha Testers have contributed immensely to the useability, robustness and bug squashing - a big thanks to the Alpha Testers from the software team.

We expect to do recommence further Alpha installations shortly

XDMS is getting pretty close to the Beta Release. Qobuz and Tidal are at the paperwork completion stage with the funtional tests and event reporting meeting the specifications of Qobuz and Tidal.

There has been some serious upgrading of streaming security infrastructure which has taken time to code, but all very sensible in today's hacker environment.

A nice upgrade coming to the UI very shortly are photo images of most Artists which will be shown in the Artist view, no more grey discs.

The Alpha Testers have contributed immensely to the useability, robustness and bug squashing - a big thanks to the Alpha Testers from the software team.

We expect to do recommence further Alpha installations shortly
Great - ta

@Taiko Audio Throughly loving the new switch and NIC! I just saw Finisair RJ45 SFPs for sale on the website. The SFPs that my DAC cable shipped with are some other brand. Is that supposed to be an upgrade? Do different SFPs make a difference that is worth listening to?

(Although I am running RJ45 now, I also forgot that I also have a number of Finisair fiber SFPs: 1321s, 1318s, 1324s. Remember when that was such a thing? That was only 2 years ago. How time flies...)

@Taiko Audio Throughly loving the new switch and NIC! I just saw Finisair RJ45 SFPs for sale on the website. The SFPs that my DAC cable shipped with are some other brand. Is that supposed to be an upgrade? Do different SFPs make a difference that is worth listening to?

(Although I am running RJ45 now, I also forgot that I also have a number of Finisair fiber SFPs: 1321s, 1318s, 1324s. Remember when that was such a thing? That was only 2 years ago. How time flies...)

The DAC cable has passive terminations, not comparable to active SFP modules with electronic circuitry performing a conversion to RJ45 or fiber.

At the present time it's possible to have the control App running on multiple devices, and communicating with the backend but it's not recommended.
I run XDMS on both my Macbook and on two other iOS devices. I find that picking up one device and using it and then going to the other device can cause slight glitches compared to when I stick with using one of the devices.

At the present time it's possible to have the control App running on multiple devices, and communicating with the backend but it's not recommended.
At this stage this is only to keep my wife happy so she feels like she can listen to the audio system when I’m not around - very important for a harmonious home!

Reactions: dbeau
I dream of a Taiko bps for class A amps...
I also dream about a 1300 lb black Marlin on the line..

I was asking Emile to build the battery based 230 / 120 V AC supply to power all equipement we have.
The GAN technology Emile has is very promising to power anything.
I hope he will create something like that as the current StromTanks are not the best for that.

Reactions: RUIN*ish
Looks like it's time for Christiaan to create a new FAQ! That said, since we're guys, there's no guarantee that we'll RTFM!
Most definitely, and this is well underway:) When finished, I will publish it here as well as on the downloads page on the Taiko site.

Here is the updated Taiko Extreme Router Summary Doc, including the latest information. (updated 25-04-2023)

It is also available on the Downloads page, along with all other documentation and downloads on current and future products, always in the latest versions.

Attachments

• Taiko Router Summary_v13.pdf
    965.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn
Here is the updated Taiko Extreme Router Summary Doc, including the latest information.

It is also available on the Downloads page, along with all other documentation and downloads on current and future products, always in the latest versions.

Is it going to be your recommendation that the router connect to the switch via a DAC cable?

Here is the updated Taiko Extreme Router Summary Doc, including the latest information.

Amazing. When do you expect to start taking orders? :)

Just to confirm, Switch is 2.5mm input, right? And router is the same 2.5mm barrel jack? I know you said that, for certain LPS designs, that 15v might actually perform "better"? Is best plan to ask LPS designer what the best voltage setting is given their designs?

What about WAP? Do you know what you will use there yet? Do you know power and input termination specs for that? Trying to make sure I have the right power / cabling setup planned pre-BPS!

Last edited:
Taiko is on the vanguard of digital audio and It’s exciting to witness the innovations. I can’t wait until I receive the switch and NIC, and will purchase the router when that’s available. Regarding the router, for best SQ do the router and switch need to have a wired connection, or can there be a mesh network node in between them? Currently, I use an Eero mesh network and have placed one of the local nodes near the Extreme. I then connect an Ethernet cable from the Eero node to the Extreme. Can I do something similar for the Taiko router’s audio only network without sacrificing SQ? E.g., ISP router -> Taiko router -> Eero gateway node (which serves as the access point for the audio only network) -> eero local node -> Taiko switch -> Extreme

Amazing. When do you expect to start taking orders? :)

Just to confirm, Switch is 2.5mm input, right? And router is the same 2.5mm barrel jack? I know you said that, for certain LPS designs, that 15v might actually perform "better"? Is best plan to ask LPS designer what the best voltage setting is given their designs?

What about WAP? Do you know what you will use there yet? Do you know power and input termination specs for that? Trying to make sure I have the right power / cabling setup planned pre-BPS!

We will start a presale next week, Monday the 1st, we will have an initial batch of 100 pieces with 2 finish options, polished chrome or matte black.

2.5 inner / 5.5 outer / 11.3mm length. 12V is optimal, for the router 12V is the maximum input voltage.

Switch current draw at 12V is 100mA , Router current draw at 12V is 500mA. A wireless AP can be up to 2A @ 12V.

No WAP.

Taiko is on the vanguard of digital audio and It’s exciting to witness the innovations. I can’t wait until I receive the switch and NIC, and will purchase the router when that’s available. Regarding the router, for best SQ do the router and switch need to have a wired connection, or can there be a mesh network node in between them? Currently, I use an Eero mesh network and have placed one of the local nodes near the Extreme. I then connect an Ethernet cable from the Eero node to the Extreme. Can I do something similar for the Taiko router’s audio only network without sacrificing SQ? E.g., ISP router -> Taiko router -> Eero gateway node (which serves as the access point for the audio only network) -> eero local node -> Taiko switch -> Extreme

You can use it that way but I’ve not tested that scenario for SQ, it will be impossible to test all available ancillaries.

You can use it that way but I’ve not tested that scenario for SQ, it will be impossible to test all available ancillaries.
Thank you. So you’ve only tested with the router and switch wired?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing