Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

@Taiko Audio, will you be able to display and demo the BPS at the Munich High End?

Thanks again. Unfortunately, it would take a major effort to configure the house with wired Ethernet. Alternately, I could create a separate audio network using the Eero gear and place the Taiko router after the local node, which would enable the router and switch to be wired. I would think the local node would be ostensibly the same as an ISP router in that configuration. Is there any reason you can think of that would make the Eero node different from a typical router (sonically that is.)

Thanks again. Unfortunately, it would take a major effort to configure the house with wired Ethernet. Alternately, I could create a separate audio network using the Eero gear and place the Taiko router after the local node, which would enable the router and switch to be wired. I would think the local node would be ostensibly the same as an ISP router in that configuration. Is there any reason you can think of that would make the Eero node different from a typical router?

That would be our recommendation right now and will work well. The Eero would then simply be “the internet” for the router.

Reactions: Ackcheng and joet
That would be our recommendation right now and will work well. The Eero would then simply be “the internet” for the router.
Thank you. That will be easy enough to configure.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Grounding things Taiko:

would you recommend active units like Telos 5.1 or rather passive units like Shunyata?
SGS and CAD ?
Your recommendations?
I can only speak to the CAD grounding unit and it works very well in my system: Low noise floors with unmuted dynamics that were improved even more by the addition of the Taiko switch and NIC.

Last edited:
Taiko is on the vanguard of digital audio and It’s exciting to witness the innovations. I can’t wait until I receive the switch and NIC, and will purchase the router when that’s available. Regarding the router, for best SQ do the router and switch need to have a wired connection, or can there be a mesh network node in between them? Currently, I use an Eero mesh network and have placed one of the local nodes near the Extreme. I then connect an Ethernet cable from the Eero node to the Extreme. Can I do something similar for the Taiko router’s audio only network without sacrificing SQ? E.g., ISP router -> Taiko router -> Eero gateway node (which serves as the access point for the audio only network) -> eero local node -> Taiko switch -> Extreme
I use an Eero (6E) mesh network as well. Why not put the Taiko router beside the Switch? That’s what I’m going to do:
eero local node -> Taiko Router -> Taiko switch -> Extreme

Reactions: joet
I use an Eero (6E) mesh network as well. Why not put the Taiko router beside the Switch? That’s what I’m going to do:
eero local node -> Taiko Router -> Taiko switch -> Extreme
Thank you. Yes, that’s what I’m going to do.

Reactions: Zeotrope
Has anyone successfully connected an MSB Digital Director and Reference dac to the Extreme using XDMS as the player? Thank you.

Well I had a lot of time on my hands today and spent most of the day listening to music. For those in the XDMS alpha group and haven't updated to the latest back end upgrade and build 47 ...... I have to be somewhat histrionic when I say, run...don't walk and do this as I experienced something that to my ears was beyond anything I have heretofore heard with XDMS or anything digital for that matter. I have to sound stupid when I quote this corny phrase but I feel obligated, as for the first time in my conversion from analog to digital can I say "it was if a veil was lifted " :cool:...this is the first time in all of the years I have been a music nut can I finally say what I just did. Plus I have only been playing streaming via Qobuz which is so good that I have never heard digital as good as I did today after these two updates. This is spooky real. There is such a sense of presence as everything just sounded right. You never know something was there until it isn't and today something disappeared that made the music so involving that I didn't move for 6 hours. And again this is streaming only and Qobuz only. The dynamics is palpable and the tonal balance is as good as I have ever heard. The clarity and preciseness of the sound was something that I have never heard before in y system. I am simply stunned as something has changed so dramatically that I can only once again say kudos to Ed, Christiaan and the Taiko team. I know we are getting very close to this going beta so I would seriously get XDMS on your device because today, something changed so dramatically for the good that I was fixated for hours without moving. Was the a suspension of disbelief.....perhaps.....but for me the miracle that lit me up was my total involvement . I used all of my demo tracks, and playlists and it was like no digital I have ever heard before. I am not privy to any Taiko goings on but I do remember Emile saying a long time ago, in a galaxy far away , that he would have some pixie dust to add as the project approaches beta, so my guess is that Emile has done something that lit my ears up today . Tomorrow I will listen to my stored files but here's a bold statement .....this listening session today was for me the very best I have ever heard digital in my system. Taiko has brought this to a level I could only dream for in my system.... but today was the day that proved to my ears that digital has crossed over into a new frontier that I never felt possible. The music had no fatigue and no distortion if listening at louder than normal spl. It was just beautiful. I have never felt so involved in hearing music in my system as I did today.

I would encourage all alpha testers to update and sit back and have a listen. Hopefully you will find me mentally competent and not just blowing smoke through my tail end.

And the fun continues on Monday when orders are open for the router. Im just blown away and feel embarrassed by my hyperbole but hopefully the rest of you will hear what I heard today. This for me was the day digital entered a new frontier. This was such a different and unexpected change that all of you users need to sit down and listen first to streaming. I'm betting tomorrow will get me even closer to the music when using internal files but today was truly a step into something that for my ears changed digital

Kudos Taiko

Well I had a lot of time on my hands today and spent most of the day listening to music. For those in the XDMS alpha group and haven't updated to the latest back end upgrade and build 47 ...... I have to be somewhat histrionic when I say, run...don't walk and do this as I experienced something that to my ears was beyond anything I have heretofore heard with XDMS or anything digital for that matter. I have to sound stupid when I quote this corny phrase but I feel obligated, as for the first time in my conversion from analog to digital can I say "it was if a veil was lifted " :cool:...this is the first time in all of the years I have been a music nut can I finally say what I just did. Plus I have only been playing streaming via Qobuz which is so good that I have never heard digital as good as I did today after these two updates. This is spooky real. There is such a sense of presence as everything just sounded right. You never know something was there until it isn't and today something disappeared that made the music so involving that I didn't move for 6 hours. And again this is streaming only and Qobuz only. The dynamics is palpable and the tonal balance is as good as I have ever heard. The clarity and preciseness of the sound was something that I have never heard before in y system. I am simply stunned as something has changed so dramatically that I can only once again say kudos to Ed, Christiaan and the Taiko team. I know we are getting very close to this going beta so I would seriously get XDMS on your device because today, something changed so dramatically for the good that I was fixated for hours without moving. Was the a suspension of disbelief.....perhaps.....but for me the miracle that lit me up was my total involvement . I used all of my demo tracks, and playlists and it was like no digital I have ever heard before. I am not privy to any Taiko goings on but I do remember Emile saying a long time ago, in a galaxy far away , that he would have some pixie dust to add as the project approaches beta, so my guess is that Emile has done something that lit my ears up today . Tomorrow I will listen to my stored files but here's a bold statement .....this listening session today was for me the very best I have ever heard digital in my system. Taiko has brought this to a level I could only dream for in my system.... but today was the day that proved to my ears that digital has crossed over into a new frontier that I never felt possible. The music had no fatigue and no distortion if listening at louder than normal spl. It was just beautiful. I have never felt so involved in hearing music in my system as I did today.

I would encourage all alpha testers to update and sit back and have a listen. Hopefully you will find me mentally competent and not just blowing smoke through my tail end.

And the fun continues on Monday when orders are open for the router. Im just blown away and feel embarrassed by my hyperbole but hopefully the rest of you will hear what I heard today. This for me was the day digital entered a new frontier. This was such a different and unexpected change that all of you users need to sit down and listen first to streaming. I'm betting tomorrow will get me even closer to the music when using internal files but today was truly a step into something that for my ears changed digital

Kudos Taiko
Latest backend update is dated… ?

Also part of XDMS alpha group, updated the backend with the latest changes and the control app build 47. Noticed further improvement in sound quality. I exclusively play local files and experienced the background becoming even quieter with deeper soundstage. Also felt the instruments sounded with more weight to it. Another thing I noticed is that even at higher volume, music is equally enjoyable. I can only imagine the sound quality once we get the Taiko router... Awesome work team Taiko pushing the boundaries on sound quality!

Has anyone successfully connected an MSB Digital Director and Reference dac to the Extreme using XDMS as the player? Thank you.
What do you mean by “successfully”, Markus?
It connects flawlessly either with Quadrate USB module or Pro ISL module. The choice is a matter of taste. I prefer the Extreme with the Quadrate module.

Kudos Taiko
Steve
This is on top of the last insanely good backend update?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu