Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Is the full power rail separation not a big deal here ?
Will it be better sounding if each device had its own separate rail ?

It depends, each power supply generates noise itself. More power supplies = more total noise.
OTH there’s the powersupply + powered device(s) interaction, in general a powersupply becomes “noisier” when you increase current draw.

If the Taiko ap is on channel 2 freq there is no reason to turn off equivalent channel freq on house router?

Won't make a difference?

Well it can make a difference as the house router may become a “quieter” device with its Wi-Fi turned off.

@Taiko Audio -- It seems like all the attention lately has been on the Switch, NIC, and Router, with additional questions about the BPS. All that is great and I am impressed with how much you have been accomplishing and the positive results you have been achieving.

For me, however, and I suspect some healthy percentage of others, the first priority and likely next purchase will be TACDA. In my case, I am eagerly awaiting the DAC version with the RCA outputs and the Rohm chip. My hope is that this will replace my current DAC and power supply, thus greatly simplifying my system and freeing up funds for other goodies (including the Taiko Switch and NIC).

The last time I recall seeing anything from Taiko estimating when the various versions of TACDA might become available was in a post by @Taiko Audio on February 21, 2023 (“There is still some work that needs to be done, we're most likely looking at a phased rollout between May and August.”)

So I'm hoping you can update that statement -- are we still looking at a May through August rollout for TACDA? Any estimate on when the DAC version of TACDA might become available? And last but not least, any estimate on pricing?

All of this will help me and others who are in the same position do some planning. THANK YOU.

I’d say the redesigned modular version launches in July/August.

These results however might simply be due to the lack of a competitive 54V LPS, necessitating the use of a 12V-54V booster / PoE power injector.

A simple experiment to run is powering the AP from a battery supply, in this case there’s no difference, powering the AP off after you hit playback. I can power on/off as much as I want in this case but there’s just no effect on SQ. Which makes it a superior solution to a wired connection which always impacts sound.

This suggests Wi-Fi “radiation” does not affect SQ at all. It’s harmful impact is therefor limited to what it dumps onto your mains supply. With the caveat there’s Wi-Fi present already from your home Wi-Fi, neighbours, etc. Completely ridding & shielding your home from Wi-Fi signals however is not an experiment I’m interested in running as this is not a real life scenario.

The ultimate solution would then be to design a filter blocking harmful noise the AP “dumps” on the mains and use Wi-Fi for remote control.

I used few big batteries lifepo4 to get around 54v and tested against 12v .
I preffered the 12v each time .

The best way to avoid mains wifi injection I have found is to use the 12v big lifepo4 battery .
There is no common neutral no common ground.

There are multiple filters I tried on the rj45 exit from AP.
They all bring very nice improvements but they also steal something from the SQ.
If you could design proper filter it would be excelkent as everyone will use your recommended AP.

It depends, each power supply generates noise itself. More power supplies = more total noise.
OTH there’s the powersupply + powered device(s) interaction, in general a powersupply becomes “noisier” when you increase current draw.

So again if you gain here you lose elswere….
I hope you will find a sweet spot.

This thread has surpassed two thirds the total pages of Tolstoys, "War and peace."
Just saying...

comparing the Taiko Extreme to my favorite novel of all time?????
not as outlandish as it seems at first.:D

Reactions: Zeotrope
I cannot imagine any modern AP using a static channel.

Did you think about the SFP port in AP ?
Using a DAC cable here might bring serious benefits.
but cutting ( or isolating) ground wire might be needed .

I was unable to get the AP with SFP Port To test it against others.

Question for those of you who have the new NIC card and Switch. I realize attempting to attach a percentage is difficult at best, and basically impossible. As of now the new switch along with the old card, (BTW the new card is already in Memphis) my system is at the best it has ever been. I'm loving it! What does the new NIC card provide that many of you have noticed over the old card? I know Bob @Rhapsody was loving what he was hearing with the old card before the heat situation was solved. Just curious as to what some of you have found in this regard....

Question for those of you who have the new NIC card and Switch. I realize attempting to attach a percentage is difficult at best, and basically impossible. As of now the new switch along with the old card, (BTW the new card is already in Memphis) my system is at the best it has ever been. I'm loving it! What does the new NIC card provide that many of you have noticed over the old card? I know Bob @Rhapsody was loving what he was hearing with the old card before the heat situation was solved. Just curious as to what some of you have found in this regard....
John, I think it's pretty simple. The Switch with the old card sounds a LOT better than no switch. The Switch with the new card sounds a LOT better than the Switch with the old card.

I also think that different systems in different rooms/ear are going to have varying results. One person might say 20%, another 30%. I don't think you can really put a % on it.

John, I think it's pretty simple. The Switch with the old card sounds a LOT better than no switch. The Switch with the new card sounds a LOT better than the Switch with the old card.

I also think that different systems in different rooms/ear are going to have varying results. One person might say 20%, another 30%. I don't think you can really put a % on it.
Bob that sums it up nicely...Thanks, I'm blown away now, looking forward in getting the New NIC card in...

Reactions: Rhapsody
Bob that sums it up nicely...Thanks, I'm blown away now, looking forward in getting the New NIC card in...
I agree, you CAN be blown away with just the Switch. I was happy for 2 weeks with only the Switch. I still REALLY enjoyed listening to music more than without the Switch. It's also great to know that the new card is on the way. I like the journey that we are all on here vs. the destination. Each stop on the Taiko Train is scrumpdillyicious:D

I agree, you CAN be blown away with just the Switch. I was happy for 2 weeks with only the Switch. I still REALLY enjoyed listening to music more than without the Switch. It's also great to know that the new card is on the way. I like the journey that we are all on here vs. the destination. Each stop on the Taiko Train is scrumpdillyicious:D
Pretty cool journey indeed...Its a Pure joy of listening...Good times...

Have a second system that pumps music throughout the house. It's on 24/7 playing Radio Paradise..
So, after all this talk about routers and traffic, I decided- for the first time in forever - to shut down the Statement and Sonos Port.
Ummm, it was not a subtle difference..
I do not have the nic and switch. I ordered black..

Regarding playing local files, do you notice a difference if the modem is actually connected to WAN with internet traffic, or does it not matter? My ISP has been down today and indeed it seems that it affects SQ, probably due to network activity, but the weird thing is things seems better when the ISP is up (with actual internet traffic). Maybe windows isn’t happy with the IP allocated and keeps hunting for internet activity ? The spooky world of network and audio :cool: Just wondering if this is something the Taiko team tested?

Regarding playing local files, do you notice a difference if the modem is actually connected to WAN with internet traffic, or does it not matter? My ISP has been down today and indeed it seems that it affects SQ, probably due to network activity, but the weird thing is things seems better when the ISP is up (with actual internet traffic). Maybe windows isn’t happy with the IP allocated and keeps hunting for internet activity ? The spooky world of network and audio :cool: Just wondering if this is something the Taiko team tested?
So if your spouse is online shopping, it helps audio. I guess this is what I’d call karma :)

Dither? :)

Reactions: QuantumWave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing