Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I have made the XDMS 27 April cumulative upgrade, ad I am happy to report another significant improvement on overall sound quality.

What I am hearing:

- more delineated, tuneful bass lines
1682765025507.png

- more 'pop' of the various instruments, the music seems to jump at me more vividly
1682765074150.png

- a further increase of layering and transparency, at any volume and notably in massed passages
- more visceral dynamics swings

1682764953028.png

- more organic texture throughout the color palette of the orchestra (strings, woodwinds, brass, choral sections, percussions). Clapping audience is another torture test for this aspect.

1682765375405.png

- richer overtones structures, both in the attack and decay (cello, double bass and especially apparent on my beloved piano albums)

1682765302024.png

I am in the middle of a cable testing exercise (how boring), so in between regular longer listening sessions I am keeping a small bunch of reference tracks I am going through since about two weeks now, so I am esepecially alert about presentation changes on these. Well, after this upgrade I will need to revisit my comparisons because the improvement I am hearing from XDMS overcomes the differences between cables / interconnects ...

Thank you,Taiko for a continuous improvement path, it is exciting to be part of this journey :)

...so confirming: you have Reference DD and it plays as expected with XDMS? Thus far, it will not operate here. Did you need to change any settings in XDMS? Thanks for your reply @Armsan
yes xmds function with msb reference only that it does not show the correct bits on the display but only and always 16, instead of 24 or 32.

Can I ask a question to all the Extreme devotees out there?
How is the performance on older exclusively analog recordings versus newer primarily digital ones?
Comments also from those who run top TT based systems who've become enamoured with the Extreme.
I'm curious as to how eg Philips classical and Blue Note from 50s and 60s, and classic rock from 60s and 70s, and CD crossover period 80s and 90s recordings thru the world's premier digital source sound in comparison to LP, and the delta to today's 100% digital provenance recordings.
Because I still hear that Extreme is at its best with these later all digital masterings, all analog masterings from the Golden Age of recordings not so much.

How is the performance on older exclusively analog recordings versus newer primarily digital ones?
Comments also from those who run top TT based systems who've become enamoured with the Extreme.
I'm curious as to how eg Philips classical and Blue Note from 50s and 60s, and classic rock from 60s and 70s, and CD crossover period 80s and 90s recordings thru the world's premier digital source sound in comparison to LP, and the delta to today's 100% digital provenance recordings.
Because I still hear that Extreme is at its best with these later all digital masterings, all analog masterings from the Golden Age of recordings not so much.

At audioquattr, while golden era records can be played on Vyger Red Sparrow, Techdas AF3p with Dava, Opus, vdh top models, Grado, etc etc, and Dohmann, with top Thrax phono, Mayer phono, etc...the Taiko through Lampi Pac or Horizon can be compared. Sonically, the golden era records are better, but...

Last edited:
I got that part...thanks.
I just am in amazement that there's more improvement...
The last backend update was stupid good...
Can't wait to hear this!!

Finish chores, then music.. finish chores, then music.. keep repeating.

There’s a substantial list of SQ enhancing features remaining just waiting for available coding time. This particular backend update should also decrease the gap between online streaming and local file playback.

@Emorante I believe this depends on the ASIO channel selected, but yes, the display can be "off" in the dac. Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, this is a “bug” in the player software which affects DACs using a 24bit ASIO channel for both 16 and 24 bit playback. It’s on the “to fix” list.

Doesn’t the difference depend more on the source material and mastering than the playback equipment?

Doesn’t the difference depend more on the source material and mastering than the playback equipment?
That's my very Q...I really don't know

What I have found is that as the quality of the playback has improved with the Extreme, including XDMS, the new card and switch, poor recordings sound even worse. I guess one can hear all the warts even more.

On the positive side, good recordings sound even better.

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Take the prog rock recordings you have and play them on good quality analog gear...you will find out...lol

Take the prog rock recordings you have and play them on good quality analog gear...you will find out...lol
I have done, at The General's on my second visit. Doesn't answer my Q.

I have done, at The General's on my second visit. Doesn't answer my Q.

it will lower the SQ. that’s my point. So… You need golden era records. How you get around to buying them is a different question…but we digress. Back to the thread.

I have a several DSD256 60's jazz recording files ie, Armstrong, Ellington, Miles Davis etc that sound amazing with the Extreme. These recordings would be my best demo recordings if someone would want to hear the best digital sound that I can produce.

I differ with Diminches because I listen to a lot of rock from the 60's and 70s that were not great recordings, but I love the way they sound with the Extreme. I've never heard them sound so good. I think everyone's experience is different based on their system(s)/rooms etc.

For instance, on the big Alsyvox or the Bayz not so great recordings still sound amazing albeit they don't sound the same as a great recording will. On the Diesis or Magico they might be more particular regarding making a not so good recording still sound amazing.

I have a several DSD256 60's jazz recording files ie, Armstrong, Ellington, Miles Davis etc that sound amazing with the Extreme. These recordings would be my best demo recordings if someone would want to hear the best digital sound that I can produce.

I differ with Diminches because I listen to a lot of rock from the 60's and 70s that were not great recordings, but I love the way they sound with the Extreme. I've never heard them sound so good. I think everyone's experience is different based on their system(s)/rooms etc.

Can you name a few? I will check them out.

it will lower the SQ. that’s my point. So… You need golden era records. How you get around to buying them is a different question…but we digress. Back to the thread.
After 16,976 posts, I think there's space to talk masterings then and now via the Extreme.

Can’t wait to jump on the XDMS wagon, still using TAS which sounds great, but apparently room for improvement!
Improvement is putting it mildly. The SQ is in a different galaxy

Reactions: QuantumWave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu