Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

So default/default might be winner winner? In your system...
Definitely. My thoughts on default/default using with the RGN2004 or the G2504 provided great sound and using the TP adapters allowed me to use either tube at the same gain settings on Horizon and my Lamm preamp.

The overall winner so far in my system is the Valvo G2504 for rectifier and Router (alt2), switch (default)...for where it is now and where it will be in a few more days I'm betting will be my best and final setting. Roon still sounds better but I still find XDMS more to my liking, knowing NSM will right the ship

To me alt2 is Default plus

and alt2 is Default minus

To me alt2 is Default plus

and alt2 is Default minus

At the end of the day, I just don't see any desire on my part to use both alt1 and alt2 In my system at the same time...makes no sense to me to do such

my only other thought (which only Emile might answer) is that alt1 might sound best in SS systems and alt2 sounds best in tube systems

alt2 from an initial start before full burn in sounded best of the filters and best in the location of the filter (router).

my only other thought (which only Emile might answer) is that alt1 might sound best in SS systems and alt2 sounds best in tube systems

alt2 from an initial start before full burn in sounded best of the filters and best in the location of the filter (router).
It really is a matter of system synergy and personal preference. If you like "typical" tube traits, then you might indeed enjoy alt2, which offers a balance that also leans in that direction. The inverse can be assumed for solid-state and alt1. Or, you might find that the balance tilts too much in that direction, and you may want to counterbalance it. The beauty of these options is that you have extra leverage in case of component changes.

By the way... Only 7 more pages, and we're on a cool 1000 pages for this thread! How about that?!

Reactions: oldmustang
It really is a matter of system synergy and personal preference. If you like "typical" tube traits, then you might indeed enjoy alt2, which offers a balance that also leans in that direction. The inverse can be assumed for solid-state and alt1. Or, you might find that the balance tilts too much in that direction, and you may want to counterbalance it. The beauty of these options is that you have extra leverage in case of component changes.
Yes that’s what I thought as I was trying. Especially since I can live with both default / default and alt1 / default, I’ll probably be switching between both depending on how neutral that component I’m using is.

Currently I’m using a more musical preamp and power amp, so if I use more neutral ones (I have quite a few) I’ll probably go back to default / default.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Here is the updated Router Manual with a few small amendments. It does not yet go further in-depth with the menu options/Wi-Fi functions. That may be for a later revision. Also, below is the latest version of the Router FAQ and Power Distributor FAQ. The Power Distributor Manual is in the making!

Attachments

• Extreme Router FAQ_v27.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Taiko Audio Router Manual-V10.pdf
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Extreme DC Power Distributor_v012.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang
Has anyone had any issues with the router wifi not staying on? I was in the process of copying some files from my laptop to the Extreme via wifi and after about 6 minutes the wifi completely dropped. I am sitting 6 feet from the router so it isn't an interference issue.

I did temporarily change the power setting to see if the speed would increase (it did a little). I also changed the frequency to 5 Mhz.

My guess is that I will only get the wifi back if I power cycle the router.

@Taiko Audio

Last edited:
Reactions: cmarin
Has anyone had any issues with the router wifi not staying on? I was in the process of copying some files from my laptop to the Extreme via wifi and after about 6 minutes the wifi completely dropped. I am sitting 6 feet from the router so it isn't an interference issue.

I did temporarily change the power setting to see if the speed would increase (it did a little). I also changed the frequency to 5 Mhz.

@Taiko Audio

Best to use a Wi-Fi analyzer, windows has one installed by default. On significant activity most modern Access Points can automatically change channels / adjust their own transmission power and perhaps interfere with the weaker (low power) taiko wi-fi transmitter.

Reactions: Famester
Yes I’ve sometimes had this but I haven’t looked into when it happens. I’ve gotten home from work and the TaikoAudio wifi is missing unless I reset the router.

Reactions: RGB. and cmarin
Yes I’ve sometimes had this but I haven’t looked into when it happens. I’ve gotten home from work and the TaikoAudio wifi is missing unless I reset the router.

I have had that happen as well.

Reactions: cmarin
Best to use a Wi-Fi analyzer, windows has one installed by default. On significant activity most modern Access Points can automatically change channels / adjust their own transmission power and perhaps interfere with the weaker (low power) taiko wi-fi transmitter.

Will do. I will also change the default channel and see if that changes its behavior.

Examine how your home and neighbourhood occupy channels, if you connect a windows laptop to the taiko wi-fi you can see how the signal strength changes when you switch channels.

I have already switched to a different channel based on the analyzer’s recommendation.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

@Taiko Audio
Have you tried wired Ethernet to your remote? (at least until you’re WiFi is sorted out).
I’m still waiting for my router to be sent, but I am very curious if anyone is comparing Wi-Fi to wired?

Reactions: Armsan
Have you tried wired Ethernet to your remote? (at least until you’re WiFi is sorted out).
I’m still waiting for my router to be sent, but I am very curious if anyone is comparing Wi-Fi to wired?

Compared wifi to wired in what respect?

@Taiko Audio

Yes. I reported that a few days ago. WiFi scanner showed no signal until I power cycled the router. In my case. It happened after I unpowered the switch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing