Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
No problem with the AF1P, who needs analog now:)

I just played one song with the network cable in, and listened, then cued it up again and took out the lan cable and listened. Then put the lan cable back in and listened again. For whatever reason I noticed a difference with the lan cable inserted. The opposite of what I would expect???

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

I just played one song with the network cable in, and listened, then cued it up again and took out the lan cable and listened. Then put the lan cable back in and listened again. For whatever reason I noticed a difference with the lan cable inserted. The opposite of what I would expect???

Not necessarily unexpected :)

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

Bob
just remember the switch clock might need many hours to get back to the full performance
so if you turn it off and notice difference it is an correct conclusion,

but once you put the switch back and hear better SQ you actually will get it a little better when it gets stabile.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob
just remember the switch clock might need many hours to get back to the full performance
so if you turn it off and notice difference it is an correct conclusion,

but once you put the switch back and hear better SQ you actually will get it a little better when it gets stabile.
Thx Kris, good observation!!!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Updated list,

It would be nice to have feedback on more setups where network tweaks still have a significant impact on perceived sound quality. I understand it's a tedious job to run these comparisons but it can be of significant help in pinpointing the cause of network side sensitivity.
I'd love to help, Emile but my network is pretty simple -- internet service provider modem/router (ActionTec 1900C) > copper ethernet jumper to Sonore OpticalModule/Finisar SFP > optical cable > Finisar SFP/Extreme.
From the Extreme it is USB out to a dCS Vivaldi Upsampler > dual AES/EBU > Vivaldi DAC.

I am not sure if the dCS equipment uses XMOS or XMOS 2. I'd suspect, given the introduction of the Vivaldi line some years ago, that they employ XMOS.

The rest of my home network is off the same modem/router -- modem/router > copper ethernet jumper > Startech FMC/Planet Tech SFP> optical cable > Planet Tech SFP/StarTech FMC > copper jumper > Netgear GS105 switch > copper ethernet to various devices.

I would be willing to test a switch or switches however someone would have to lend them to me for the tests because though I don't doubt people are hearing what they are hearing, I am not sufficiently compelled at this time to spend large amounts of money adding something that may or may not have more than a slight uptick in performance.

Steve Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Not necessarily unexpected :)
Actually I think I might have a possible idea why I like the network in the system vs network unlpugged.

I have the two each M12 switches and the Duo Optimo LPS all heavily grounded to earth ground. With the lan network cable from the second M12 connected then the system might be realizing that the ground vs a lesser ground without the network cable??????

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
It would be nice to have feedback on more setups where network tweaks still have a significant impact on perceived sound quality.
I will be happy to provide feedback on a Chord config next week, as I will be installing the USB card in a few minutes from now. Seems fair it should get a little time on it first...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
When I check in on the three audio sites I follow I normally go to the "New Posts" or "Latest Activity" links. Yesterday I looked in on this thread and had no ides what many of the recent posts were about and how the thread had evolved. So I decided last night to go back to day 1. As you can see that is well over 7000 post and 2 years of catching up to do. After several hours of reading/skimming post I am only at ~810 on 30-June-19.

Knowing only a little about the product and few people who now own one, I am finding it interesting how thoughts and opinions have evolved. This is a very interesting thread. First those of you who have been participating since the early days it might be fun for you to check back on those early posts.

Now back to follow summer of '19.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When I check in on the three audio sites I follow I normally go to the "New Posts" or "Latest Activity" links. Yesterday I looked in on this thread and had no ides what many of the recent posts were about and how the thread had evolved. So I decided last night to go back to day 1. As you can see that is well over 7000 post and 2 years of catching up to do. After several hours of reading/skimming post I am only at ~810 on 30-June-19.

Knowing only a little about the product and few people who now own one, I am finding it interesting how thoughts and opinions have evolved. This is a very interesting thread. First those of you who have been participating since the early days it might be fun for you to check back on those early posts.

IMO it’s the best thread on WBF

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

now everyone, no spoilers or giving away the ending..............except to say that everyone lives happily ever after :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
My system always benefited from Nenon advice !
I followed his path and I must say that you can make the Taiko extreme to sound absolutely amazing .
I have TAS and Taiko driver 5.0 . Edward was so kind to install it few weeks ego on my extreme.
From the other hand the bad network and not isolated wifi can impact the quality very significant.

I will add few things to already great Nenon Advice:

1. Wifi is NOT the best. I use wire to my ipad and wire router.
it is so much better. Wifi is a horrible thing. I am happy without it .
2. The more switches the better for Taiko extreme .
I have 4 Buffalo switches and 2 are with pink faun clocks.
Tried to remove some or all of them, but in my case it simply cant work.
I keep all of them in chain as this is must to have in my setup.
3. The best possible power supply is the best investment.
I got 6 rails of Sean Jacobs DC4 from Nenon and this is truly fantastic power supply.
it is a way better than the PH SR7 I had. Sold all PH SR7 I had (single regulator) And exchanged them for newest SJ DC4 With CX filters.
4. Having great experience with adding PinkFaun clocks in my Buffalo switches I worked with Jord from Pink Faun to install the clocks in my edgerouter and my modem.
It was the first use this clocks in router and Jord had to make the exclusive board for
the clock that runs edgerouter. It works excellent . Fantastic addition to the already great system.
So now I have regular modem with PinkFaun clock and edgerouter with Pinkfaun clock.
in comparison to standard modem and standard router it is simply much much better.
everything is much better.
yes, you need to use also DC4 s or simmilar quality supply for the clocks and devices, but it is worth.
5. All is connected by copper Ethernet cables from Sablon. Mark did a great job with that.

So in summary of my experience is that all of this really elevates the Taiko Extreme SQ to different levels.
4 Buffalow switches with pinkfaun clocks + top power supplys
1 Modem Fiber optic to ethernet with pinkfaun clock + top power supplys
1 Edgerouer with pinkfaun clock.+ top power supplys

No you do not have to have it all , but if you do you will take all the best from truly the best server ever created. Thanks to Taiko Team !
in fact my sreaming sounds now better than local files on extreme.

I think we are all very lucky to have Emile, Edward and all others from Taiko Team.
I'm just curious as to why you need 4 switches?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
If you think the new USB board was a great sonic value, you really should consider this.
I am now offering a custom front plate for the Taiko Extreme, appropriately called "The DWE" (Dead Woodchuck Edition) for only $2000.

View attachment 76802

You simply won't believe how much better it makes the Extreme sound! In addition, it now brings the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of your system to a new all time low, which we're told some folks really like because it greatly facilitates their listening privacy. PayPal adds 2.5%.
The Wax sense of humor is alive and well

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The USB card is really a surprise box. I got mine on the 1st of April and assembled it immediately and reported my happiness with several noticeable improvements. But nothing prepared me for the performance jump that happened today. For long, one of the reasons I play LP's was Schubert Winterreise - although digital sounded excellent, there was an extra excitement and emotion associated to Peter Pears performance in an old Decca LP I own since long.

Today, when returning home I selected Matthias Goerne Winterreise on the Extreme - I had listened to it a few days ago and jumped at the first sounds - it sounded more like a real duo playing in the room - I would say much more hall ambiance and less of my room, like when I listened to this performance in the Gulbenkian Grand Auditorium. Not like an LP, more like I recall real music. After this recording I sampled a few of my chamber music recordings on ancients instruments - again the same effect, more "organic" instruments in a large space. The piano in Mozart piano quartets was more alive, becoming more alive, but kept the correct size.

All in all , it is now only 186 hours since I assembled it. What should I expect at the 200 hour?

BTW since day two after the arrival of the card the system was freezed - Extreme with USB Vivaldi stack, Dartzeel CH8550 and SoundLab A1 PX's.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Actually I think I might have a possible idea why I like the network in the system vs network unlpugged.

I have the two each M12 switches and the Duo Optimo LPS all heavily grounded to earth ground. With the lan network cable from the second M12 connected then the system might be realizing that the ground vs a lesser ground without the network cable??????
Great pick Bob !
The most important thing to me in Audio is a good Power Supply . And Extreme has that perfect.
Second most important is proper grounding. And Taiko Team did it right.

I use exclusive gound for Audio that is below 0.5 ohm .

Belive or not but som devices are wrong connected to the ground,
some switches , clocks do not have any ground and base on foating.
routers might use DC ground some not,
To make it more complicated supplys we use are also hard wire connected to socket main ground but some are not at all. Few use resistors to isolate it from main ground.
That all makes big difference.

there are potential ground loops retutning via interconnects. Hard to avoid but possible.

more surprising some DACs for few inputs might use common ground for signal ground and not for the other inputs (Folating) it is all Gear Designer dependend.

I am in the middle of the testing all grounds and it looks grounding to clocks in switches might be the key factor.
There is much more if you star ground all devices with disconnecting signal ground from main ground in all devices except of ONE ( usually preamp) .
Much more knowlage to come in next moths .

wil

Jul 22, 2015
OK, I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile. On the TAS Beta Manual, Playing Control Screen, there is a button with crossed arrows inside a circle. In the manual, it says "Don't Use." Is this some kind of a test?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.08.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.08.15 PM.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Haha

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

OK, I did it, and and I tried to do a cartwheel and knocked over the Air Force One Premiumo_O

Without a doubt at the same volume with the lan cable inserted there is more life, dynamics and POP to the music. Better Pace, Rhythm and timing. When I disconnected the lan cable after the track was loaded I felt there was something missing. IT SOUNDED GREAT, but I like the POP, even if it's unnaturally exaggerated, which I'm not saying it is, but for someone that would comment that this might be the case. (reading naysayers minds;)

I'm surprised and happy that this sounds like this in my system, again to my ears, but it's not questionable with the test that I just did.
This is interesting, it seems that I am the only "heretic" who thinks that music with a good Switch sounds better than with the Switch disconnected.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing