Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yes, the AES/BEU card is available for DAC's that sing with AES/BEU

There was an Audiophile who did a comparison between AES/BEU and USB on his DAC, and AES/BEU was more to his sonic preferences
What is the maximum resolution with AES/EBU?

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Hi, we are now into June, was wondering when us SGM EVO owners will be given what you all Extreme owners have been enjoying for a while now -TAS. Very envious and feel like the poor neglected younger brother

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi, we are now into June, was wondering when us SGM EVO owners will be given what you all Extreme owners have been enjoying for a while now -TAS. Very envious and feel like the poor neglected younger brother

TAS is in beta which is very support intensive, we are planning to port the release version to the EVO even though there are very few left in the field.

Reactions: rocco1113

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
TAS is in beta which is very support intensive, we are planning to port the release version to the EVO even though there are very few left in the field.
That’s awesome , look forward to getting upgraded soon .. have seen some great reviews of TAS on this forum … super excited . Thanks

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Hi Emile/Edward

Despite my efforts, I have yet to hear streaming (Tidal or Quobuz played back through Roon or J River) that in my opinion, is comparable overall to wav file playback through an optimized hardware/software solution. I have tried several servers over the last few years, none of which elevates streaming to the level of wav file playback. I have even tried basic network isolation schemes (switch, fibre, usb) to improve the streaming, but still remain unimpressed.

Can you share your current thoughts as to the relative performance through the Extreme/TAS between a streaming source like Quobuz or Tidal vs optimized redbook and hi res wav file playback?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lampie519

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Emile/Edward

Despite my efforts, I have yet to hear streaming (Tidal or Quobuz played back through Roon or J River) that in my opinion, is comparable overall to wav file playback through an optimized hardware/software solution. I have tried several servers over the last few years, non of which elevate streaming to the level of wav file playback. I have even tried basic network isolation schemes (switch, fibre, usb) to improve the streaming, but still remain unimpressed.

Can you share your current thoughts as to the relative performance through the Extreme/TAS between a streaming source like Quobuz or Tidal vs optimized redbook and hi res wav file playback?
The large negative Delta between stored files and streaming has bugged us for more than 4 years. We have been chipping away at the problem, and finally cracked the nut in November last year. Take a look at the post by ray-dude #5,231 on page linked below

There is still a small SQ Delta, but for many, Emile and myself included its not bothersome

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
The large negative Delta between stored files and streaming has bugged us for more than 4 years. We have been chipping away at the problem, and finally cracked the nut in November last year. Take a look at the post by ray-dude #5,231 on page linked below

There is still a small SQ Delta, but for many, Emile and myself included its not bothersome
Thanks Edward

Can you elaborate on the methodology that 'cracked the nut'?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Ouch - so local WAV playback still has the upper hand?

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I have my Extreme on optical network with low power SFP module, on a dedicated subnet (it doesn't see broadcast traffic from elsewhere in my house). That made a huge difference. With that, streaming vs local content is virtually identical, which is amazing.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Ouch - so local WAV playback still has the upper hand?
As they said on Game of Thrones..."It is known" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lampie519

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Comes down to the original recording and the actual file origin being played vs the file/processing of the streamed file being played in my set up. Big upticks in SQ were accompanied with the arrivals of TAS, Taiko usb driver, TAIKO USB CARD. This combination even made Roon sound much better.

I am running the two each JCAT switches with two each JCAT LPSs and all JCAT Gold Sig cables, which btw REALLY took up the performance of the Aurender N20 which is also fed with this network set up.

With the Extreme I can play 20 tracks from Qobuz that sound better than a WAV file and the opposite playing files vs streaming. All depends on the original recording.

I only have a few TB of files, but I can't remember the last time I played a file. I use Qobuz/Tidal 100% of the time as it sounds so good, pretty much on anything I pull up, that I could care less anymore about making comparisons between streaming and files. I stopped doing that about a year ago once TAS landed. YMMV.

Notice that there is not as much back and forth since on this thread since TAS/usb driver/usb card arrived. Everyone is just listening and enjoying music!

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ed @EuroDriver , any estimate as to when we may see fully gapless play in TAS?

Reactions: cat6man

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Ed

Is there a list as to what DACs have been added to the USB Driver's compatibility
If you follow this thread there is an updated list of supported DAC's updated regularly. This was posted a few pages back. Then add the recent Boulder 2120 DAC to the list.

Currently supported:

-Analogue Domain DAC1

-APL DSD-MR

-Aries Cerat

-Aqua Formula xHD V2.0

-B&O Beolab 50

-Berkeley Alpha USB interface

-Bricasti MDxx

-Brinkmann Nyquist

-CH Precision

-DCS Vivaldi

-DCS Vivaldi Up-sampler

-DCS Vivaldi One

-Denafrips Terminator Plus

-EMM Labs DAC 2

-Esoteric Grandioso D1X

-Esoteric K-01X

-Esoteric K-03

-Gustard X26 Pro

-Holo Audio May

-Ideon Absolute

-Lampizator (with jlsounds interface)

-LH Davinci MKII

-MSB Pro USB

-MSB V / Quad

-Nagra HD-X

-Pilium Elektra

-Sennheiser HE-1

-T+A 3100 series

-Thrax Maximinus

-Totaldac

-Trinity 1st gen model

-Trinity Reference

-Vitus

-Weiss DAC-501

-Ypsilon 1000

Pending:

-Singxer SU-6

To have your DAC added contact us at contact@taikoaudio.com or run the Thesycon USB Descriptor Dumper utility downloadable here: https://thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml and e-mail us the output (use the save as file option).

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
If you follow this thread there is an updated list of supported DAC's updated regularly. This was posted a few pages back. Then add the recent Boulder 2120 DAC to the list.

Currently supported:

-Analogue Domain DAC1

-APL DSD-MR

-Aries Cerat

-Aqua Formula xHD V2.0

-B&O Beolab 50

-Berkeley Alpha USB interface

-Bricasti MDxx

-Brinkmann Nyquist

-CH Precision

-DCS Vivaldi

-DCS Vivaldi Up-sampler

-DCS Vivaldi One

-Denafrips Terminator Plus

-EMM Labs DAC 2

-Esoteric Grandioso D1X

-Esoteric K-01X

-Esoteric K-03

-Gustard X26 Pro

-Holo Audio May

-Ideon Absolute

-Lampizator (with jlsounds interface)

-LH Davinci MKII

-MSB Pro USB

-MSB V / Quad

-Nagra HD-X

-Pilium Elektra

-Sennheiser HE-1

-T+A 3100 series

-Thrax Maximinus

-Totaldac

-Trinity 1st gen model

-Trinity Reference

-Vitus

-Weiss DAC-501

-Ypsilon 1000

Pending:

-Singxer SU-6

To have your DAC added contact us at contact@taikoaudio.com or run the Thesycon USB Descriptor Dumper utility downloadable here: https://thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml and e-mail us the output (use the save as file option).
Bob,

you missed the adding of dCS Rossini, it sings with the Taiko Driver

Reactions: ctydwn

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I have my Extreme on optical network with low power SFP module, on a dedicated subnet (it doesn't see broadcast traffic from elsewhere in my house). That made a huge difference. With that, streaming vs local content is virtually identical, which is amazing.
Hi Ray,
Clever solution, indeed. Can you please tell us the details of the needed configuration?
Do you configure the subnet in the router/modem of your Internet Service Provider, or in a second router?
Thank You.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I think it is Analog Domain, not Analogue Domain unless there is another company with a similarly named Dac that. I'm unaware of.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing