Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

In my opinion, the truly great takeaway from all of this recent upgrade churn is that, whatever DAC you own (was that a list of 67?), it will sound considerably better with an Extreme server.

And here I was, not so many years ago, thinking bits ‘r bits.

Fence sitters, get off the fence! As the youngsters like to say — YOLO!

In my case is copper to the Extreme from a Melco S100 router (Using a Sablon Ethernet cable), the rest is a mixed of fiber and copper
That's exactly my setup: same switch, same ethernet cable.

No, only USB, Spdif, Optical, AES/EBU
Then your previous post is not understood,
“I have been using fiber (70' run) from router to Switch, and then copper from Extreme to DAC -- with very good results.”

You Only Live Once!

(although, there are those who believe in reincarnation. Sadly, the memory bank gets wiped each time.) Marty, like yourself I’m much more from the “groovy” generation though I don’t think I ever really qualified as ‘a groovy guy’. But for the cute little coffee babes at my local coffee shop, I too would be ignorant of YOLO.

Last edited:
I'm feeling quite dense. I have read back through the threads recent history (last 7 days) and somehow I'm missing the process for selecting alternate USB outputs (USB1, USB2, etc.). Can someone please illuminate (again?) the path for me? Thanks!

I'm feeling quite dense. I have read back through the threads recent history (last 7 days) and somehow I'm missing the process for selecting alternate USB outputs (USB1, USB2, etc.). Can someone please illuminate (again?) the path for me? Thanks!

You have to remote into your Extreme and on the desktop there will be 4 icons, 1 for each USB configuration. If you right click on the one you want to run, select "run with Powershell" and it will be executed.

Well, I sat down last evening to listen with the new OS and USB driver installed. As others have noted, the improvement is simply incredible, and that is off an already very high base. For context, this improvement is an order of magnitude greater than the one I just paid a whole lot of money for by upgrading my pre-amp and amps. The fact that this amazing additional performance was provided as a no-cost upgrade is yet another testament to the value proposition behind getting on the Taiko Train! Thanks Emile and team!

You have to remote into your Extreme and on the desktop there will be 4 icons, 1 for each USB configuration. If you right click on the one you want to run, select "run with Powershell" and it will be executed.
OK, thanks! Little scary moment when everything went blank, but it just looks like the Extreme reboots, then back to music. USB1 definitely has a different sonic profile to the one that was loaded (not sure which...). Let the USB driver rolling begin (and then on to the tube rolling to get things fully in the zone).

...re: adding fiber to my audio diet, I *think* the SQ gain is coming from the network implementation in the Extreme (with more to come perhaps, with future Taiko projects), and perhaps a small amount of SQ flavor from the cabling itself.

Not having the signal enter the Extreme via SFP and doing that conversion, would also eliminate a source of "noise" right?

Based on this perhaps flawed thinking, I *think* the best of both worlds for me would be to leave the 35' fiber run in place (I have 5 or 6 neighbor wifi receivers I can "see" and major commercial RF sources nearby to my north and south), and relocate the Sonore OM close to the Extreme, with a short ethernet cable into Gina...er... my Extreme.

Previously, I relocated all network gear to another floor, on a dedicated line, LPSs, on the opposite phase from the audio. 35' fiber into Extreme.

Happy to receive comments, theoretical or heretical re: implementation. Cheers...

Not having the signal enter the Extreme via SFP and doing that conversion, would also eliminate a source of "noise" right?

The “noise” generated by the optical SFP receiver is indeed orders of a magnitude higher then that of the “copper” ports.

The “noise” generated by the optical SFP receiver is indeed orders of a magnitude higher then that of the “copper” ports.
Hmm, gives me pause for thought, Emile. The 'last mile' of my current setup still has fiber running 50' from one floor down to the Extreme in my music room. Does putting a simple converter between that and the Extreme make sense? I've used something like this before: "10Gtek 1.25G Media Converter, SFP slot, without Transceiver." But my source end is the EtherREGEN switch.
Thanks.

Hmm, gives me pause for thought, Emile. The 'last mile' of my current setup still has fiber running 50' from one floor down to the Extreme in my music room. Does putting a simple converter between that and the Extreme make sense? I've used something like this before: "10Gtek 1.25G Media Converter, SFP slot, without Transceiver." But my source end is the EtherREGEN switch.
Thanks.

I’d say that should be ok! The main thing is to use the RJ45 ports of the Extreme in stead of the SFP slot.

I’d say that should be ok! The main thing is to use the RJ45 ports of the Extreme in stead of the SFP slot.
Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
I think I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS (which has improved a lot too), I find an emotional bond with music using TAS that I have never experienced on digital. Emile, I don't know what he has done with this update, but I would ask that whatever he has done, that allows me to enjoy it so much, don't get lost in the evolution to XDMS. Of course this is with my DAC and USB4, any other combination might be different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing