Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
This all sounds BRUTAL
There is nothing BRUTAL going on here. You have to press two icons and TAS is back. It took Taiko a few hours to update the time out.

Might be good for everyone to save their anxiety for real issues. There are no issues here.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@Nils I agree with your findings, to the extent that an external observer would say I have become a bit obsessed about DC supply quality to every part of my system, including ISP modem and router.

I found further conditioning of the output of decent LPS's with either iFi DC Purifiers or DXPWR's helps further - basically the lower the noise on the DC the better, as long as your supply still presents a low input impedance to the device you are powering. The number of boxes proliferated, but definitely helped sound quality here.

Incidentally, I also use iFi AC Purifiers on my dedicated mains supplies to the different sides of my system (I have two 30A lines and two 20A lines dedicated to hifi) again with very obvious benefits to sound quality.

Weird really, I don't consider myself at all a power 'nerd' but have been pushed into the territory by seeking sound quality improvements, I found it really does make a significant difference on every component! Same with shielding from WiFi.

All the best!
Do you know if the iFi Active Noise Cancellation filters noise in both directions? My assumption is that it filters noise only one-way (from the power supply to the component being powered); but it will not filter noise from the power supply to the wall, and the only components on the same circuit. This is why I went with Shunyata Denali and Defender products wherever I have noisy/cheap power supplies.

Reactions: DW101

Christiaan Punter

There is nothing BRUTAL going on here. You have to press two icons and TAS is back. It took Taiko a few hours to update the time out.

Might be good for everyone to save their anxiety for real issues. There are no issues here.
It's a small inconvenience indeed, but please note that TAS, while stable, is beta software. Roon is always available as an alternative although opinions vary as to which system sounds best.

Anyway, please hang tight as this will all be resolutely addressed when we release XDMS:)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Poor choice of words with "Brutal". I just want to power up the gear, and think about what I intend on playing. It sounds as though XDMS is coming along.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Poor choice of words with "Brutal". I just want to power up the gear, and think about what I intend on playing. It sounds as though XDMS is coming along.
John,

Understood that in an ideal world just turning on a system and never having to think about anything except what you want to play and listen to is perfecto, but with digital, not just from Taiko/Extreme, but any SW based user interface/app it is NEVER going to be 100% without any interruptions. It's the nature of digital. We are dealing with SW and SW sometimes hiccups, especially BETA SW.

The GREAT PART is that all of us that are on board the "Taiko Train" have the best support in the industry. When there is a glitch if one can't be just a simple click or two away from playing their music, and figuring out the glitch on their own, if there is a real issue, Emile and team are ALWAYS on it asap, usually within hours.

We are in the hands of the best support team on the planet. imho

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Emile and his team is why I got onboard. I have the utmost of confidence in their support. I have seen things on behalf of Taiko's Support Team that is unheard of in todays audio world...

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Do you know if the iFi Active Noise Cancellation filters noise in both directions? My assumption is that it filters noise only one-way (from the power supply to the component being powered); but it will not filter noise from the power supply to the wall, and the only components on the same circuit. This is why I went with Shunyata Denali and Defender products wherever I have noisy/cheap power supplies.
It's a good question - I share your assumption that its one way, as the ANC would need to define an input side and an output side to 'improve', but I'm now confusing myself thinking about the fact that the noise you are talking about would appear on the output side and therefore would be part of the signal being controlled... :eek:

Last edited:

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
“The last TAS beta extension!” -Taiko (June 28, 2022)

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019

:D

Lie down on the couch and tell me about your hi-fi. There is no pinpoint accuracy in the sweet spot here. No power issues. We are here to foster into being a new future removed of anything built on a Roon of the past.

Now why don't you begin by telling me about a track you feel comfortable within and we'll slowly work our way up to dependence on proprietary beta software.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
There are several parallel build outs going on, rest assured the Light theme development and phone App are not delaying the release of XDMS

Last edited:
Reactions: Markus87

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
There are several parallel build outs going on, rest assured the Light theme development and phone App are not delaying the release of XDMS
Is that “light” as in for an iPhone or as opposed to dark?

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
It's a good question - I share your assumption that its one way, as the ANC would need to define an input side and an output side to 'improve', but I'm now confusing myself thinking about the fact that the noise you are talking about would appear on the output side and therefore would be part of the signal being controlled... :eek:
When I did my previous upgrade of power supplies for my Router and Satellites - replacing stock wall-wart with IFi low-noise warts with ANC that did indeed provide a noticeable upgrade in SQ.

Since that upgrade I have made significant other changes, including adding the Extreme (which replaced my Nucleus) and various other improvements -> a very much lowered noise floor.

Replacing IFI with first Keeces P3 LPS and then with Ferrum Hypsos and also including the first link in my audio processing pipeline - the fibre converter provided by my service provider was much bigger upgrade than earlier upgrades. If the fibre converter adds noise - it will be present in all downstream components in the pipeline, even with excellent components (like Extreme) you cannot make that noise completely go away (filters are just filters).

Optimize the whole is the only principle that works.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I just read this in the iFi site, so it looks like the filtering is indeed 2 way:
“The SupaNova ANC II section runs in parallel with all the conductors, and works to reduce both noise from the AC entering the component as well as noise from the component going back onto the mains. This two-way isolation is important when more than one component shares a circuit or outlet.”

Therefore, I don’t think it should be used in series with another conditioner/filter.

Reactions: DW101

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
I just read this in the iFi site, so it looks like the filtering is indeed 2 way:
“The SupaNova ANC II section runs in parallel with all the conductors, and works to reduce both noise from the AC entering the component as well as noise from the component going back onto the mains. This two-way isolation is important when more than one component shares a circuit or outlet.”

Therefore, I don’t think it should be used in series with another conditioner/filter.
Thank you for finding and sharing that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing