Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I just was forced to update Roon on my Extreme. So far no music.

Edit: premature panic over. Upgraded Roon is playing and doesn't sound bad at all. At least as good as the previous version. Phew!

Reactions: EuroDriver

Christiaan Punter

I just was forced to update Roon on my Extreme. So far no music.

Edit: premature panic over. Upgraded Roon is playing and doesn't sound bad at all. At least as good as the previous version. Phew!
Indeed, I feared the worst and wanted to hold off on the update but was also forced by the app. Fortunately, my first impression, based on a quick listen with two tracks, is that Roon 2.0 indeed still sounds good. Not sure of the precise differences from 1.8 but there sure does not seem to be an obvious or drastic change in sonic quality. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Now if I could only sell my lifetime Roon subscription.

Unfortunately I think we can't legally sell it. When they call it lifetime does it mean Roon lifetime or our lifetime? :rolleyes:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
“Subject to the terms and conditions of this License you are hereby granted a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the Roon Software and the Documentation on the terms of this License.”

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
“Subject to the terms and conditions of this License you are hereby granted a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the Roon Software and the Documentation on the terms of this License.”
Like I said”if only …,,,”

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Indeed, I feared the worst and wanted to hold off on the update but was also forced by the app. Fortunately, my first impression, based on a quick listen with two tracks, is that Roon 2.0 indeed still sounds good. Not sure of the precise differences from 1.8 but there sure does not seem to be an obvious or drastic change in sonic quality. :)
However, in my opinion, Roon 2.0 sounds significantly better than 1.8. God knows why reason…….

Reactions: PYP

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
However, in my opinion, Roon 2.0 sounds significantly better than 1.8. God knows why reason…….

Yes, me too. But I’ve been having some odd experiences with Roon making changes that it is reckoned not to make by others.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Not sure about Roon 2.0 vs. 1.8 or even vs. TAS, but I am still recovering from the ridiculous overflow of emotions I was filled with by this tonight ...

Screenshot_20220922_194243.jpg

Strings texture to die for, transcendental dynamics, cavernous staging, a sense of tension I could barely breathe during the quietest parts.

Sometimes is good to be reminded what this hobby is about, and this happens more often than not with the Extreme :)

Last edited:

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
Not sure about Roon 2.0 vs. 1.8 or even vs. TAS, but I am still recovering from the ridiculous overflow of emotions I was filled by this tonight ...

View attachment 98219

Strings texture to die for, transcendental dynamics, cavernous staging, a sense of tension I could barely breathe during the quietest parts.

Sometimes is good to be reminded what this hobby is about, and this happens more often than not with the Extreme :)
@simorag THANK YOU for this Discovery of a for me hitherto completely missed musical star - Giya Kancheli!

The above piece is absolutely mesmerizing - especially the Chiaroscuro!

It is a close to perfect recording with one of the biggest dynamic ranges I have ever come across - but that is of course secondary to the music... I might even have held my breath at the end in order to not miss the final decay of the last tones...

Mind you - above impression was rendered by TAS (I am still in the waiting-for-XDMS-server-to-be-installed-queue-by-Taiko-Support) so next time I listen should be even better!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Yes, me too. But I’ve been having some odd experiences with Roon making changes that it is reckoned not to make by others.
That's my initial impression as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not sure about Roon 2.0 vs. 1.8 or even vs. TAS, but I am still recovering from the ridiculous overflow of emotions I was filled with by this tonight ...

View attachment 98219

@simorag THANK YOU for this Discovery of a for me hitherto completely missed musical star - Giya Kancheli!

The above piece is absolutely mesmerizing - especially the Chiaroscuro!

It is a close to perfect recording with one of the biggest dynamic ranges I have ever come across - but that is of course secondary to the music... I might even have held my breath at the end in order to not miss the final decay of the last tones...

Mind you - above impression was rendered by TAS (I am still in the waiting-for-XDMS-server-to-be-installed-queue-by-Taiko-Support) so next time I listen should be even better!
I had a listen as well. Very different and yes, very mesmerizing. Readily available on Qobuz

Reactions: simorag

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Reactions: simorag

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
12346259-0C2C-4EA5-9AAB-85B4B63D7B26.jpeg

XDMS Alpha 0.0.1 (2) has been published in TestFlight

We are working on a new UI for Users with big libraries. If you have more than 200 Albums, the Albums are split into buckets of 200

You click on the Bucket (which has the begining Album name and the ending Album name) and then you can scroll through the 200 albums in that bucket - Sort of like Tower records in the old days

We need a better name than "Bucket" Suggestions please

An alphabetical index similar to TAS is coming as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobofei86

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Back in the day, we stole milk crates to store all our records...

Damn, they've gotten expensive!

XDMS first impressions - very impressive lift in openness and air. Sound stage and that sitting in a sound hologram has taken a big step up. Perhaps a bit of loss of density and substance, but I'm really enjoying having that holographic sound field again (a first in our new house...music room is far from optimized right now).

I keep thinking I'm getting a bit of aggressiveness on the high end, but I can't quite put a finger on it. I'm not getting any of that digital harshness that I normally associate with things being out of whack in that space.

Definitely this is serious motivation to get back to tuning my music room. Very compelling and very rewarding.

Very impressive for a first release (to say the least). To have this as an alpha baseline is extremely exciting. Congratulations to the team that took on the herculean task of building a major music server and player from scratch (Audirvana, Jriver, Roon, Squeezebox, and now XDMS...that is pretty rarified company)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
View attachment 98306

We are working on a new UI for Users with big libraries. If you have more than 200 Albums, the Albums are split into buckets of 200

You click on the Bucket (which has the begining Album name and the ending Album name) and then you can scroll through the 200 albums in that bucket - Sort of like Tower records in the old days

Batch?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

XDMS first impressions - very impressive lift in openness and air. Sound stage and that sitting in a sound hologram has taken a big step up. Perhaps a bit of loss of density and substance, but I'm really enjoying having that holographic sound field again (a first in our new house...music room is far from optimized right now).

I keep thinking I'm getting a bit of aggressiveness on the high end, but I can't quite put a finger on it. I'm not getting any of that digital harshness that I normally associate with things being out of whack in that space.

Definitely this is serious motivation to get back to tuning my music room. Very compelling and very rewarding.

Very impressive for a first release (to say the least). To have this as an alpha baseline is extremely exciting. Congratulations to the team that took on the herculean task of building a major music server and player from scratch (Audirvana, Jriver, Roon, Squeezebox, and now XDMS...that is pretty rarified company)

I agree that the high end is a little heavy, but not harsh. It is also like it needs a drop of warmth.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

Boxes? Nah. Cinderblocks and wooden planks. Then we had both record storage AND stands for all the equipment.

Fyi to android users-- you need to uninstall previous APK before installing the latest one

I do have to say I was very confused to see the "bucket" notation, but since I use folder mode exclusively, I ignored it :)

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
View attachment 98306

Section seems like an appropriate name - it is a part of the whole, it is labelled with first and last album included in it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing