Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
just curious, does testflight only update the tablet app or does it also update the windows-based Extreme server?
or will the app have the capability of upgrading the server in the future?
TestFlight just updates the iPad App. The full release will be in the iPad App store

Updates for the Android App will be pushed by us

Updates for the XDMS Server will be launched from the iPad in the future

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
Updates for the XDMS Server will be launched from the iPad in the future

Can you clarify "Updates for the XDMS Server" from/via Android? Thanks.

Reactions: cat6man

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Help Roon has messed my extreme up. It shows extreme server updated to 2.0(build 1128) but tablet 1.8(build 1105) stable but I can’t get tablet to connect with the extreme! What’s going on? It does not tell me what to do from here.

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
I thought it was funny with people asking how the "NEW ROON" would compare with XDMS. I'm not knocking Roon it's an amazing interface, BUT the NEW ROON is the OLD ROON regarding sonics (I think/not confirmed). The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT was all about Roon now offering a mobile app, which is cool, but imho the gap will grow even wider now between XDMS and Roon from a sonic perspective.

I am very happy knowing that the Extreme can run Roon, but the Extreme is not dependent on Roon for it's sonic future.

I also could be wrong about the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, I just glanced over it, but it seems to be all about the mobile app vs improved sonics.
I see two fundamental reasons why Roon v2.0 will lead to reduced SQ:

Reason 1 - RoonLabs' System Complexity just took a great jump up
A) They have a new mobile client (ARC) for iOS and Android to maintain that must be capable of rendering music over a vastly different set of underlying hardware models (# cores, # RAM, quality of the built-in DAC) for a plethora of mobile devices and most likely local endpoints (headphones, speakers) reached via Bluetooth
B) They have a new transport protocol to maintain between ARC and RoonCore - this is complex matter that must offer top-notch stability (they are competing with e.g. Spotify who I know has spent 10s of man years on their protocol) over a plethora of conditions: 3G-, 4G-, 5G-networks, network roaming etc.
C) RoonCore now must enact a server-role visavis ARC over the new protocol
RoonLabs' now must maintain a lot more code over time -> less capacity left for focusing on SQ

Reason 2 - RoonLab's End User's Consumption model is likely to shift towards on-the-go-consumption via ARC running on mobile

RoonLabs are not stupid - if they had not proper evidence from prior discovery work they would not go this way -> they are fairly certain that it is worth the no-doubt big investment in system complexity, i.e. enough Roon users will be using ARC to connect remotely to their RoonCores and consume their content via Roon playlists with content transported from RoonCore via the new protocol over various mobile networks into ARC to be rendered by ARC over mobile phone HW onto headphones, over Bluetooth most often.
The SQ requirement for these end users to be content will , over time, set the bar for how much SQ is needed -> less focus on SQ

So, I see Roon v2.0 as a double-whammy blow against SQ.

I do not care about Roon - I switched to TAS 2m ago and have not started Roon since - due to SQ. I do my discovery from my desktop, leveraging Qobuz' Mac-client - that works very well. As a consequence - I will not update my 12m license for Roon.

Now I am (along many others I am sure) awaiting Apple's scrutiny of the new XDMS Alpha-client so I can take the step up to XDMS...

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
This what it shows me but no way to up date or change anything.
There is another thread more focused on Roon and it includes a fair number of Extreme owners. You might get better advice faster there.

Good luck!

Steve Z

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi Ed,

Are those invites sent automatically? Did check my TestFlight app and all I have is TAS app its expiting in 8 days.

Thanks

Just FYI: TestFlight is an Apple app and it’s VERY buggy. We use it a lot in my company. It’s not uncommon to not receive invites until they are sent multiple times. Has nothing to do with Taiko.
Someone else asked if future updates will be required. All TestFlight installed apps expire after 90 days. After that, a new invite needs to be sent manually - no way around that until the XDMS app is in the App Store.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Not looking bad, I'm confident we'll have sourced all parts needed to have a network card and switch available to cover each Extreme owner, I don't expect everybody to purchase one but we don't want to risk leaving people wanting and without. I'm pretty confident we can ship in December.

The BMS we're working on casing options now, we have a few 2 box prototypes but we've also managed to fit everything into a single box, this is slightly larger at 483*483*185mm without footers (for reference, the current Extreme is 483*455*165mm) but otherwise will have more or less the same looks as the current Extreme, though with improved finish options. If we were to offer this option we would naturally accept a trade in of the old "chassis" which could then be stripped/refinished/repurposed.

For a 2 box version a double Extreme chassis would make sense however soaring raw material and energy prices have made this a very expensive option, in fact we will soon be forced to raise the Extreme's retail by probably as much as 25% (!).

We therefor have a secondary, cheaper to manufacture 2 chassis option we're also considering to offer, it would look somewhat like this:

View attachment 97851

View attachment 97852

Right now we're working on completing all 3 chassis options and I think the best way from there would be calculating costs and asking you, our customers, for their opinions on what makes sense and what doesn't.
Dear Emile and Edward,
This thread is now 615 pages long with more than 12k posts.
It's quite difficult to read through and locate specific info.

On #12067, we are happy to know that the new Origami chassis is ready and is a more affordable choice for Extreme customers.

It's mentioned that the coming optional BMS might be able to be put together with the server section into ONE Origami chassis.
Is this correct?

I would also like to know more about the new powersupply section/circuit boards which employs Gallium Nitride components (showed during the Munich Show in May).
Is it ready now or very soon?
Is this an option and can be offered to current Extreme Server owners as a powersupply upgrade?
If some Extreme owners don't want to install BMS, can this newer and better powersupply section be avaialble and installed without the battery section?
Can this new powersupply section be installed and replaced the old one inside the current CNC Extreme chassis?

Many thanks for your answers in advance!
:D

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Just FYI: TestFlight is an Apple app and it’s VERY buggy. We use it a lot in my company. It’s not uncommon to not receive invites until they are sent multiple times. Has nothing to do with Taiko.
Someone else asked if future updates will be required. All TestFlight installed apps expire after 90 days. After that, a new invite needs to be sent manually - no way around that until the XDMS app is in the App Store.
The App store as a whole is buggy. I've had builds and releases expire for no reason, and then I resubmit to Apple saying 'you expired my app for no reason', and it gets approved immediately. Lol.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Help Roon has messed my extreme up. It shows extreme server updated to 2.0(build 1128) but tablet 1.8(build 1105) stable but I can’t get tablet to connect with the extreme! What’s going on? It does not tell me what to do from here.
There's a small button which when pushed switches you to XDMS....problem solved. No more need for Roon

Christiaan Punter

With a major version leap like this one, Roon always recommends making sure that the tablet and server apps are the same versions. I believe they advise updating the tablet/remote apps before the server but I'm not 100% sure of that and you may want to look that up. In any case, sometimes, the updates for the various devices are not pushed at the same time, and indeed, the App store can lag behind, so always make sure that the update is available for all your devices prior to starting an update.

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
With a major version leap like this one, Roon always recommends making sure that the tablet and server apps are the same versions. I believe they advise updating the tablet/remote apps before the server but I'm not 100% sure of that and you may want to look that up. In any case, sometimes, the updates for the various devices are not pushed at the same time, and indeed, the App store can lag behind, so always make sure that the update is available for all your devices prior to starting an update.

They do recommend updating the control app first, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference in practice which one you do first. I wasn’t too happy today to find that my Roon core had automatically updated itself to 2.0 overnight, so I had no option but to update my iOS apps.

I have absolutely no intention of installing ARC and agree that the likely knock on impact on SQ are only likely to be negative. I don’t really understand the appeal of ARC - if I wanted music on the move, I would just use the Qobuz app and get similar benefit without compromising the security of my Roon Core. Oh well, XDMS here I come! :)

Edit - For any anxious Roon users, I can detect no adverse impact on SQ of Roon 2.0 and in fact, in my system, it has improved, albeit only to where it was previously. Of late, I had detected a loss of high end detail and clarity and was only yesterday messing around testing everything to try and ascertain how this had come about. With a fresh Roon 2.0 installation, this detail is back and I am happy. This is on my system with my ears so YMMV.

Edit - I probably should have read this. It advises how to avoid ’upgrading’ to Roon 2.0 if anyone is interested. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-stay-on-old-version-instead-update-to-2-0/213343/24?page=2

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Sorry for a beginner’s question (still waiting for delivery):

When you don’t want to fool around with roon’s compromised sound and xdms still only in test versions, what would I use to run my Extreme?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing