Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Those two buttons should be connected in the next alpha

in the meantime you can get to your Qobuz / Tidal playlists via the respective Qobuz / Tidal home pages
And how do I play those in XDMS?

And how do I play those in XDMS?
I want to stress I'm not complaining and I understand this in an Alpha but I just want to make sure I'm understanding the current functionality.

Does anyone know how to get XDMS to update the library? I just added a few new albums to the HD. I tried the arrows in the upper right corner and force quit the app…
Edit: I see there’s a Library Scan option. Should new files go into the Import folder? And where is that located?
Scan scans the entire D music folder. So, anything you have uploaded there will be added.

Reactions: Zeotrope
I want to stress I'm not complaining and I understand this in an Alpha but I just want to make sure I'm understanding the current functionality.
You might want to join the Taiko Discord channel -- there is on-going discussion of bugs, fixes, progress, functionality, and how-do-I?

Send an e-mail requesting an invitation to: support@taikoaudio.com

Steve Z

Reactions: John T
You might want to join the Taiko Discord channel -- there is on-going discussion of bugs, fixes, progress, functionality, and how-do-I?

Send an e-mail requesting an invitation to: support@taikoaudio.com

Steve Z
Thanks, I did Friday. Still feeling my way around there but its a help.

Reactions: oldmustang
This recording has the capability to pop out in an unsettling palpable fashion.
It really shows the difference between Roon and TAS very well.
Screenshot_20221010_214252.jpg
TAS conveys very sculpted, snappy transients, effortless dynamics, not a sign of smearing, and a sense of more 'nothing' in between the instruments.
Curious about XDMS (patiently waiting for beta stage) more than ever :)

View attachment 98868
TAS conveys very sculpted, snappy transients, effortless dynamics, not a sign of smearing, and a sense of more 'nothing' in between the instruments.
Don’t miss another magic moment. The alpha stage of XDMS is far from perfect but if you think TAS knocks the socks off Roon, have a listen to XDMS Don’t short change yourself. If it is SQ you pursue

Don’t miss another magic moment. The alpha stage of XDMS is far from perfect but if you think TAS knocks the socks off Roon, have a listen to XDMS Don’t short change yourself. If it is SQ you pursue
Plus the exciting thing for those of us who are alpha users is to become actively involved in recommendations and suggestions as well as to report any bugs. There is a very active group of users who also are very computer savvy and have had wonderful ideas. This to me is the beauty of Taiko and XDMS. People shun XDMS and stay with Roon. I say to them “ have a listen ……you’ll know immediately. Plus Emile’s promise that he has a few more tricks up his sleeve to make XDMS even better in the next few months makes this exciting to be a part of and watch it grow and participate in its outcome. This is something no other company I’m aware of shares with its users. Once an Alpha user reach out to Ed or Christiaan for an invite to the Discord Forum

View attachment 98868
I couldn't find this on either Qobuz or Tidal. What is your source?

Ok then, I'll buy the CD, rip it onto the Extreme and see if I can get it into XDMS. Seems like I read about that procedure here a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

Reactions: simorag
Ok then, I'll buy the CD, rip it onto the Extreme and see if I can get it into XDMS. Seems like I read about that procedure here a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

XDMS looks for music in the same place that TAS does.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I had a Team Viewer session with "He Who Goes With Little Sleep," aka Ed, this past weekend to install XDMS. I am among the computer semi-literate but watching him work was way cool! We had a brief chat afterwards which was a delight and deepened my feeling, which I believe is shared by all Extreme owners, regarding how fortunate I am to be a part of the Taiko Audio journey. Soooo, initial listening was extremely dramatic, music jumping out of my speakers with vitality and impact, more 3D presentation with soundstage deepening (a big plus in my small listening room!), more space between instruments/voices while remaining part of a cohesive whole, increase in ambient info, overall increase in vital musical details. As I continued to listen over the weekend, while remaining wowwed by these developments, the mid-range seemed slightly leaner than how I remembered Roon (which I preferred over TAS in my system) with a slight tipping towards the upper frequencies. With info from Ed, Christiaan, and Nenon I was able to do a contrast & compare with Roon and as it turns out XDMS is the definitive winner! While Roon offers rich tonality, after a couple of days with XDMS, Roon's presentation sounds too dense and sluggish and I am finding my "complaints" have been virtually ameliorated. Great job Team Taiko!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: engadin
I am that guy. And yes the plan is to purchase a Taiko DAC when it is released. Date presently unknown.
Just to clarify......IIRC Taiko is not releasing a stand alone DAC but rather an internal board to the Extreme that provides analog out. Someone from Taiko please correct me if Im wrong

Just to clarify......IIRC Taiko is not releasing a stand alone DAC but rather an internal board to the Extreme that provides analog out. Someone from Taiko please correct me if Im wrong
That is my understanding as well. It will be a proprietary product for the Extreme. Taiko please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I was mistaken about my reference to a Taiko DAC. See newer post in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing