Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

SaiteiMan

Jun 9, 2020
Are there any SSD alternatives besides Sabrent Q (blue label) and Intel 660P NVMe for SQ equivalent or better?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
one of the main (but not sole) reasons gapless is obligatory is my large collection of live concerts
Me, too. I've got a ton of them.

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Can someone please clarify:

1) I currently use an Extreme w a JL Audio USB Board and an external switch (Nordost). Will the new switch be external? Hard to imagine that an internal switch on a board would weigh 30 lbs so I am assuming the switch will be an external stand alone product. No?

2) What will the new network card replace? Does it replace a network card that is currently in my Extreme, or is it an external device as well?

3) Will my JL Audio USB board require an update or replacement in order to work with the new network card and switch?

Thanks
Marty

The network card replaces the current fiber network card which is inside your Extreme, this connects to the switch which is an external product in a separate (33lbs) chassis. The JL Audio USB board is inside your DAC and unaffected.

Reactions: marty and CKKeung

John T

Feb 15, 2022
In the midst of exciting times ahead I'll share some words: These words reimburse our dedication "If you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it, lukewarm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be" Roald Dahl

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
one of the main (but not sole) reasons gapless is obligatory is my large collection of live concerts
I am getting 5-6 seconds between tracks. Much better than the previous 15 seconds but not gapless(yet).

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I am getting 5-6 seconds between tracks. Much better than the previous 15 seconds but not gapless(yet).

I assume you are referring to streaming ... if yes, with Qobuz and in Concert mode the gap in between tracks within a queue is <1s with the yesterday's backend update in my system.

Local albums exhibit a near-gapless behavior (again, in Concert mode).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I assume you are referring to streaming ... if yes, with Qobuz and in Concert mode the gap in between tracks within a queue is <1s with the yesterday's backend update in my system.

Thanks I was using discovery mode. I will try it with concert mode.

Reactions: simorag

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to you, gentlemen. My apologies for the interuption. I am trying to clarify something here. I am a little confused and I think it may just be a simple explanation. You speak of, "discovery" and "Concert" mode whilst using Qobuz. I do not see these settings. Is this something that is exclusive to the SGM Extreme?

I have 4 settings - Precise, Dynamic, Balance and smooth....but alas, I am not using an SGM Extreme.

Please advise and thanks.

Tom

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hello and good morning to you, gentlemen. My apologies for the interuption. I am trying to clarify something here. I am a little confused and I think it may just be a simple explanation. You speak of, "discovery" and "Concert" mode whilst using Qobuz. I do not see these settings. Is this something that is exclusive to the SGM Extreme?

I have 4 settings - Precise, Dynamic, Balance and smooth....but alas, I am not using an SGM Extreme.

Tom

These are specific to the Extreme software XDMS.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I figured as much. Thank you sir.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tom

Now, I am even more confused than you. What are these "modes"? Just nice musical names for different digital filters?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Now, I am even more confused than you. What are these "modes"? Just nice musical names for different digital filters?
Yes sir. This is one thing I don't like about it, honestly. A "gimmick" to me and not needed IMO. Just give me the pure, unaltered signal (as much as possible) and I'll take it from there. Some folks like it though, as it gives them choices.

Tom

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Yes sir. This is one thing I don't like about it, honestly. A "gimmick" to me and not needed IMO. Just give me the pure, unaltered signal (as much as possible) and I'll take it from there. Some folks like it though, as it gives them choices.

Tom

No filtering involved with either XDMS playback modes.

Discovery caches a track at the time, while Concert caches the next track in the queue thus allowing gapless playback.

Discovery should be the most purist as it minimizes the server load while playing, however Ed says no noticeable sound quality degradation is audible with Concert mode.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

after the shot of adrenaline from hearing virtually gapless playback, i see that i had only considered my top priority, which is local playback in concert mode. i forgot completely about streaming...........not to mention our pggb brethren with mega-sized files...........duh!

in any case, i think this is still a major step forward in achieving gapless, with further steps to come.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
It’s not a router and yes it needs to be in a certain range of the Extreme. Why will become clear when we finish the write up.
SteveW:
so it sounds to me like you'll have
Router-wifi-switch-network card and the wifi won't break the switch-network card mojo/optimization.

Edit:. Corrected incorrect router/switch terminology in original posting

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
SteveW:
so it sounds to me like you'll have
Router-wifi-switch-network card and the wifi won't break the switch-network card mojo/optimization.

Edit:. Corrected incorrect router/switch terminology in original posting
Like I said , Emile knows my system and although he didn’t go into specifics he said all would be well and to wait for the specifics to be announced. I never bet against Team Taiko. Needless to say I am pleased esp since Emile is suggesting that this is their biggest update yet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing