Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Emile, I‘m not all that tech / DIY savvy, so apologies of thats already clear to others: Is there a reason, why the new DAC PCl card has all those outputs but no XLR? Space on the PCB, sonics, …?
I ask because when buying new interconnects the RCA vs XLR future usage Is of course something that needs to be considered.

a) yes
b) yes
c) yes
d) yes it does, SPDIF RCA, SPDIF BNC and Toslink, more options can be developed / added but that would require a different card.

The LPS1.2 would be excellent.
"yes it does, SPDIF RCA, SPDIF BNC and Toslink, more options can be developed / added but that would require a different card."
What about AES/EBU ?

a) yes
b) yes
c) yes
d) yes it does, SPDIF RCA, SPDIF BNC and Toslink, more options can be developed / added but that would require a different card.

The LPS1.2 would be excellent.
Emile...much appreciation to know if your new dac card has two functional options of either 1) processing the d/a info and outputting to preamp OR 2) sending the digital info to our dacs for d/a conversion ?

Emile,

Will the BPS power this? Maybe Medicare will pay for the BPS? ;)
shopping.jpeg

We're not DAC designers, the innovation is in the superior interface, we've incorporated a Rohm BD34301EKV DAC chip because we thought it sounded best of the available "off the shelf" DAC chips and added a JFET class A output stage, but that's about all we could fit on a PCIe card sized PCB. Sure it may outperform 10-20K DACs but to directly compete with a top level DAC like a Lampizator Horizon, MSB Select 2, or Totaldac D1-12 is a bit much to ask for :)

Emile,

The BD34301EKV DAC is an excellent chip and probably a great choice, but it is a tuneable chip - manufacturers can easily model the sound to their particular preference tuning the filter coefficients. I always admired the Taiko system for their their theoretical and technical pursuit of digital neutrality - aren´t you affraid that committing the brand to a preferred sound quality affects your image?

We're not DAC designers, the innovation is in the superior interface, we've incorporated a Rohm BD34301EKV DAC chip because we thought it sounded best of the available "off the shelf" DAC chips and added a JFET class A output stage, but that's about all we could fit on a PCIe card sized PCB. Sure it may outperform 10-20K DACs but to directly compete with a top level DAC like a Lampizator Horizon, MSB Select 2, or Totaldac D1-12 is a bit much to ask for :)
Why not designing an interface like pci-e directly into a dac with minimal/no conversion/noise.
this sounds simple, and i am aware this would be a huge project, but probably the only way foreward to where you are now.
huge respect nevertheless to what you already have achieved

Reactions: oldmustang
Emile, I‘m not all that tech / DIY savvy, so apologies of thats already clear to others: Is there a reason, why the new DAC PCl card has all those outputs but no XLR? Space on the PCB, sonics, …?
I ask because when buying new interconnects the RCA vs XLR future usage Is of course something that needs to be considered.
I *think* it’s because it’s not a DAC, so a DAC will still be required, which would have a selection of analog outputs.; But then I’m confused as to why it will have RCA analog outputs…?

Reactions: MusicFellow
I *think* it’s because it’s not a DAC, so a DAC will still be required, which would have a selection of analog outputs.; But then I’m confused as to why it will have RCA analog outputs…?
It is a DAC with RCA analog outputs and a selection of digital outputs.

Matt

Matt
The TACDA has both analog and digital outputs?

Matt
EDIT: sorry, you’re right. I misunderstood. It IS a DAC, that can compete with DACs in the $10-20k range; but for more expensive DACs, it will output digitally.

Last edited:
So am I. I didn't understand it to have digital outputs.
So the digital outputs are standard interface, e.g. USB, spdif.

I'm assuming that tacda, which will already be on the board for the DAC/analog output, will be optionally available (configurable) on these same digital outputs once we have availability of DAC that can take tacda input.

So this new card would replace the current USB, presumably be at least as good sounding as the current USB card, and be configurable for future tacda use.

As I understand the PCIe card allows analog outputs in high quality but the owner has the option to connect via the digital outputs external DACs.

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing